Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overtime opinions

1. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!

Question overtime opinions

Advertisements
    (wasn't sure where to put this) If you're a salaried employee & you work over 40 hours a week, should you receive overtime? What if your normal work week is always 50-60 hours, should you receive overtime if 60+ hours is your normal work week?
    Lastly, if your boss comes to you & tells you your hours are going to increase above & beyond what's reasonable, would you ask your boss for a raise or to compensate you for overtime?

2. Mama of 2 beautiful boys!
    Mama of 2 beautiful boys!
    I'm salaried and I currently work approx 50 hours a week and only get paid for my 40. I haven't had a lunch break in who knows when because we're short staffed too I think if I was asked to work a unreasonable amount over my "normal" 50 I would ask for some sort of compensation. I figure in the end working all these hours will just move me up and I'll make more in the future....hopefully
  3. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AG2Wife View Post
    (wasn't sure where to put this) If you're a salaried employee & you work over 40 hours a week, should you receive overtime? What if your normal work week is always 50-60 hours, should you receive overtime if 60+ hours is your normal work week?
    I was salaried and would leave at the end of my 8th hour everyday on the dot because I did not believe in working a minute over what I was getting paid for. My boss eventually told me it just wasn't working out because he couldn't see my committment. This came 6 months after he increased my salary $4000 because he felt he wasn't paying me enough for my skill level. So, when I reminded him of that and asked why he thinks I'm not committed, he said it was because I come in on time and I leave on time while other managers stay or come in early. I told him they are free to do what they like but if I wasn't getting paid for the time I'm not getting with my family, then I wasn't going to give it to them. So yes, I would ask to get paid overtime.
    Lastly, if your boss comes to you & tells you your hours are going to increase above & beyond what's reasonable, would you ask your boss for a raise or to compensate you for overtime?
    Absolutely! And if he said no (which he did) I'd advise him that I will be leaving in 2 weeks. And I did. I got promoted to another department in our corporate offices. Needless to say, he wasn't very nice to me after that.
  4. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    IMO, when you take a salaried position, you are being hired under the understanding that you will work whatever hours needed. This is why when going for a salaried position, make sure it's up to par with what you want to make in terms of your income.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    IMO, when you take a salaried position, you are being hired under the understanding that you will work whatever hours needed. This is why when going for a salaried position, make sure it's up to par with what you want to make in terms of your income.
    i agree
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, this is true.

However, I think Torie handled her situation very, very well.

It's one thing to be expected to put in an extra 3-4 hours a week, or for something very, very special and important. One of my sisters is a skilled paralegal and she's salaried, but when they have big cases she usually puts in a great deal of extra time in preparation for court. When they win the cases (and evidently they win a LOT), she and everyone who worked on it are paid bonuses.

It's a whole different animal if the workweek is routinely 50-60 hours. that reflects poor management; if everyone is working a 60-hour week, that's a 50% increase in work over normal. The company should be hiring people to do that work, or compensating employees for their extra efforts.
  7. Regular Member
    As a salaried professional I agree with you. I do get additional benefits being salaried versus hourly. Any hours that I work over 40 are put in a comp time bucket. I can use up to eight hours of comp time a week as long as I have 32 hours on the books (chargable, holiday, leave). I am also at a place in my career where being hourly would be a huge step down.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm a salried teacher...need I say more?!?
  9. I'm Only A Little Crazy
    I'm Only A Little Crazy
    Yep! That's the way it's always been and people know when they accept a salaried position that you don't get paid for overtime.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrskmw View Post
    Yep! That's the way it's always been and people know when they accept a salaried position that you don't get paid for overtime.
    If one is so set on being paid for every hour they work then take an hourly job. Of course, the trade of of that is that the hourly spot won't pay you 40 hours worth of pay if you only have to do 30 hours of work to complete whatever your task is....and a salaried spot would.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast