Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disecting critters in science class

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Disecting critters in science class

Advertisements
    I thought this might be good for debate.
    (Spin off of "Military shooting pigs for training purposes" thread)

Ethical?
    Is it useful in any way?
    Would you try to get your child out of having to do this?
    Did you avoid doing this?
    If your child didn't want to would you support their decision not to?

_____ ______ ______ _______

I don't think it's ethical nor do I see how it can possibly be benificial.
    I absolutely avoided this - in fact, I just stopped going to class and happily sat in detention and did worksheets instead.
    I would support my kids if they didn't want to do this and if they REALLY didn't want to I'd fully support and help them get out of this "requirement".
  2. I Have to start living for myself.
    I Have to start living for myself.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    I thought this might be good for debate.
    (Spin off of "Military shooting pigs for training purposes" thread)

Ethical?
    Is it useful in any way?
    Would you try to get your child out of having to do this?
    Did you avoid doing this?
    If your child didn't want to would you support their decision not to?

_____ ______ ______ _______

I don't think it's ethical nor do I see how it can possibly be benificial.
    I absolutely avoided this - in fact, I just stopped going to class and happily sat in detention and did worksheets instead.
    I would support my kids if they didn't want to do this and if they REALLY didn't want to I'd fully support and help them get out of this "requirement".
    I completely agree. I happily sat my butt in after school detention for not participating and cutting open a frog, a rat, and a pig uterus. I know that these animals were bred for this purpose but I myself didnt feel the need to do it.
    Living for today, Pushing for tomorrow, Doing what I need to do to live happy
  3. was with your mom last night.
    was with your mom last night.
    Blog Entries
    The fetal pigs that we dissected were stillborn and preserved - not killed for educational purposes..

Previously in that same biology class we had dissected nightcrawlers (BIG worms). No one seems to be fighting the big fight for them......"save the worms" & whatnot.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    Lauren wins the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by candypants View Post
    Hey guys. Oh, big gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later.
  4. Lindsey.
    Lindsey.
    I refused to cut up a rat in bio last week and my prof told me I'd lose points if I didn't do it.

Even if I did do it I wouldn't have learned a damn thing because I'd have been way to preoccupied trying not to puke.

In high school I think dissecting animals is even more pointless because especially the boys just want to play around with guts. Killing an animal for a 'lesson' where kids don't give a crap seems wrong to me.
    There AreNo Words
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think dissection can be very beneficial. EVEN for High school students. Remembering my own biology class, students found the insides of worms fish and frogs FASCINATING. a couple people are actually going into science/medical majors because of what they learned from that class.

I personally couldn't dissect the frog because of my own emotional attachment to frogs... but the worms were really cool... I never would have guessed there was so much STUFF in there.

Understanding anatomy and how everything works together is very important... learning about a simple animal opens the doors to learn about HUMANS and knowing about your OWN body is a great thing. Not enough people understand how their bodies work, and waste lots of money every year over nothing when they go to the doctors.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't think it needs to be as widespread as it is, no. Those students who take an interest in science or medicine as future career paths should be the ones doing this and the other students can observe closely.

Every effort needs to be made to ensure the students in our schools have access to accurate and current resources, and disection is very useful for those who like I said, plan to persue career paths related to biology. It would be doing those students and our educational future a disservice to discontinue disections altogether, but I also do not see the reasoning behind forcing every 10th grade child to do it, either.
  7. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    But wouldn't it make more sense for it to be an elective and a choice?

It seems widespread and common for those of us who didn't want anything to do with it and found it to be nauseating to be punished because of something that we, really, just couldn't stomach.

If someone's ok with it - fine, great.
    But if someone's not ok with ti that should be fine, too...and it's not, evidently.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
    I think dissection can be very beneficial. EVEN for High school students. Remembering my own biology class, students found the insides of worms fish and frogs FASCINATING. a couple people are actually going into science/medical majors because of what they learned from that class.

I personally couldn't dissect the frog because of my own emotional attachment to frogs... but the worms were really cool... I never would have guessed there was so much STUFF in there.

Understanding anatomy and how everything works together is very important... learning about a simple animal opens the doors to learn about HUMANS and knowing about your OWN body is a great thing. Not enough people understand how their bodies work, and waste lots of money every year over nothing when they go to the doctors.

i agree with everything she said
    also for me personally it is extremely beneficial and i know it will get alot worse then worms since one of my focuses is on forensics

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I loved dissection labs! Let's see, we did...... roundworms (oh no! save the worms!), these absolutely ginormous grasshoppers, frogs, squid, and ultimately a fetal pig. My gosh, there was SOOOOOO much to learn, and it was great! No textbook could have prepared me for the organ placement, the depth, the interworkings of the organs.... it was great and I really enjoyed it.

On the other hand, I agree that those who elect NOT to dissect should have the opportunity to do something comparable that doesn't involve dissection, and if my children chose to go that route, I would support them. However, I'd make DAMN sure their 'alternative project' was just as deep and meaningful.
  10. Senior Member
    I have no problem with the dissection of animals. I am studying to be a wildlife biologist though, so I suppose I am a little biased.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast