Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is one branch more desensitized to war?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question Is one branch more desensitized to war?

Advertisements
    Okay, first, this is a very honest question and one that I don't have the answer too. I've never been around any other branch of the military other than army and the marines. (Besides my grandfather who was navy)

Do you think because the nature of the job is different for each branch, that soldiers and marines are desensitized to the horrors of war more then those in the air force and navy? Or, does fighting on the ground instead of on the sea or air shape a person's perspective of war differently?

DF is infantry and because of his specialized job, he has seen a lot of horrific things and had a lot of close friends die in battle. Therefore, I've heard a lot of very sad stories but I also don't get outraged at certain things anymore. War is ugly, messy and sometimes what they have to do to survive is awful.

Because the U.S. hasn't fought a war on our own soil in a couple hundred of years, our civilians (thankfully) don't grasp what war is like, IMO.

Because I hear DF's stories, I feel like I have somewhat of a better idea of how awful war can be compared to families who have no military connection.

So, do all military branches feel the same way? I ask because my grandfather was Navy and was in a lot of battles but his stories are very different then DFs stories.

Disclaimer. This is in no way diminishing the service of any military member. They all are heroes. I want to know if their type of service shapes their (and their families) perspectives differently.
  2. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I think it depends on each individual service member. For example, Seabees are often boots on the ground.
  3. Senior Member
    right now.............reserves!!!

i think joining one branch of the military with the hopes of "representing their country" without actually being deployed is lame. Every job in every branch has a chance of deployment. Sure some are extremely small but anything could happen
  4. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    Elaine, you shit stirrer you!
  5. My Life is My Own Again! YAY!!
    My Life is My Own Again! YAY!!
    NoVA/He's on a boat right now, but stationed in Japan
    I think there are special divisions of each branch that become desensitized, like the Force Recon guys of the Marines, etc.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    maybe not one branch, but like stated above maybe more like individual jobs? I have several friends who have never even had to have their spouses deploy to the middle east ever.......

I know alot of people think the Navy sits on ships or subs and is kind of detached from the daily fighting in the middle east. However not all Navy is.........there are plenty of aviation squadrons on the ground in the middle east that while might not get ON the ground in the cities fighting, they fly over and see what happens.....and get to deal with bombs and raids on their sites. Also seabees are right up front.......

On the flip side I have a friend whose husband is a marine who has never stepped foot in afghanistan or iraq......he's been able to do is support job from other deployment sites.

It's really more of a job thing I think.

but if you are generalizing then probably yes I'd say that the army and marines get an overal general better view of the actual day to day war.......because they are in the thick of it generally speaking. but we definitely should never judge the other services for that because if my kids would ever join the service I'd push them towards a branch that was not going to be directly impacted by fighting on the ground so to speak.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I really don't know. I think it's more so the person. But I know when Matt was a Marine he was exposed to alot more. He's seen his fair share overseas but none of it phases him. It's just how he is. I don't really know if that's from the Marine's or if it's just him..kwim
  8. Senior Member
    i dont know, i think i kinda agree with berkley...more of an individual, rather than a specific branch. Wether you see something bad one time or 100 times, it can effect each individual differently. Thank the Lord(and i really mean that) that Dh hasnt been effected by anything of that nature.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    right now.............reserves!!!

i think joining one branch of the military with the hopes of "representing their country" without actually being deployed is lame. Every job in every branch has a chance of deployment. Sure some are extremely small but anything could happen
    I didn't mean not ever getting deployed. I meant how their perspective is shaped while deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrittanyJo View Post
    Elaine, you shit stirrer you!
    I'm really not trying too!! I'm just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by WGs_Grrl View Post
    I think there are special divisions of each branch that become desensitized, like the Force Recon guys of the Marines, etc.
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
    maybe not one branch, but like stated above maybe more like individual jobs? I have several friends who have never even had to have their spouses deploy to the middle east ever.......

I know alot of people think the Navy sits on ships or subs and is kind of detached from the daily fighting in the middle east. However not all Navy is.........there are plenty of aviation squadrons on the ground in the middle east that while might not get ON the ground in the cities fighting, they fly over and see what happens.....and get to deal with bombs and raids on their sites. Also seabees are right up front.......

On the flip side I have a friend whose husband is a marine who has never stepped foot in afghanistan or iraq......he's been able to do is support job from other deployment sites.

It's really more of a job thing I think.

but if you are generalizing then probably yes I'd say that the army and marines get an overal general better view of the actual day to day war.......because they are in the thick of it generally speaking. but we definitely should never judge the other services for that because if my kids would ever join the service I'd push them towards a branch that was not going to be directly impacted by fighting on the ground so to speak.
    Good thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    I really don't know. I think it's more so the person. But I know when Matt was a Marine he was exposed to alot more. He's seen his fair share overseas but none of it phases him. It's just how he is. I don't really know if that's from the Marine's or if it's just him..kwim
    Ooh, I didn't realize that Matt has been in two branches. You guys would have a really good idea of the differences between the two.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I believe that it depends on the person.

Michael is so desensitized to violence and pain that he has no emotions to show towards it simply because his dad was Marines and he watched extremely violent movies at a young age.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast