Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Child abuse to NOT spank?

  1. Senior Member
    wife-n-mommy's Avatar
    wife-n-mommy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,428
    Blog Entries
    1
    #1

    Child abuse to NOT spank?

    Advertisements
    I had a lady today in a store tell me that NOT spanking my child who was acting up is child abuse!! What do you think? Is it child abuse to NOT spank your child?

    discuss... please say why or why not...

    I know this will turn into a debate of some kind, so that's why I put it here. I know some people feel strongly one way or the other.
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

    Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

    Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

    Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  2. Account Closed
    Gillian_Angela's Avatar
    Gillian_Angela is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,718
    #2
    DB and I have talked about this issues. We've come in agreeance that spanking would only be used...if it was extremely necessary. Like this did something really bad or were acting like a complete brat. It would be the last resort thing.

    DB was like "what send him to his room, where he can have all his cool toys? I used to LOVE being sent to my room"

    Moreover, it will be in a sit in the corner, time out deal where would confiscate something of importance or value to the child.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Shania7337's Avatar
    Shania7337 is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    29,609

    #3
    I generally disregard unsolicited advice form strangers, and I am not afraid to tell them to mind their own damn business I would have said a thing or two to that particular woman...


    Obviously, so long as no marks are left on the child physically or emotionally, no one's parenting methods should be called "abuse", regardless.
  4. aka Mrs Gibberish
    =Mrs.AiNokeA='s Avatar
    =Mrs.AiNokeA= is offline
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    28,491
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillian_Angela View Post
    DB and I have talked about this issues. We've come in agreeance that spanking would only be used...if it was extremely necessary. Like this did something really bad or were acting like a complete brat. It would be the last resort thing.

    DB was like "what send him to his room, where he can have all his cool toys? I used to LOVE being sent to my room"

    Moreover, it will be in a sit in the corner, time out deal where would confiscate something of importance or value to the child.
    I agree with that... I didn't care if my parents sent me to my room since I was in there all day anyway. I once grounded myself to my room when I was bad. My dad told me to go to my room before and then remembered that I liked it there so he said nevermind you're grounded FROM your room. I think the worst punishment I ever had was lying down on a couch thing in my parents room with them in there and not being able to do a thing. It felt like I was in there FOREVER!
  5. Senior Member
    wife-n-mommy's Avatar
    wife-n-mommy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,428
    Blog Entries
    1
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    I generally disregard unsolicited advice form strangers, and I am not afraid to tell them to mind their own damn business I would have said a thing or two to that particular woman...


    Obviously, so long as no marks are left on the child physically or emotionally, no one's parenting methods should be called "abuse", regardless.
    yeah... I was kind of like "how rude..." This woman then proceeded to go get the store manager and tell her I was abusing my child because I was sitting in the floor holding her in my lap so she wouldn't hurt herself by throwing herself in the floor or run away from me while I was waiting on my husband to load the groceries in the cart. also, keep in mind I can not lift her because of my condition, or she would have been carried out to the car rather than still sitting in the floor throwing a fit. It was very embarrasing. She spent the rest of the afternoon sitting at the kitchen table with no toys until bath time.
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

    Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

    Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

    Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  6. aka Mrs Gibberish
    =Mrs.AiNokeA='s Avatar
    =Mrs.AiNokeA= is offline
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    28,491
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wife-n-mommy View Post
    yeah... I was kind of like "how rude..." This woman then proceeded to go get the store manager and tell her I was abusing my child because I was sitting in the floor holding her in my lap so she wouldn't hurt herself by throwing herself in the floor or run away from me while I was waiting on my husband to load the groceries in the cart. also, keep in mind I can not lift her because of my condition, or she would have been carried out to the car rather than still sitting in the floor throwing a fit. It was very embarrasing. She spent the rest of the afternoon sitting at the kitchen table with no toys until bath time.
    Everyone raises their child differently and I see nothing wrong with what you did. You did NOT abuse your child that woman was just being silly. I was at Wal-mart a week or so ago and there was this little kid who dropped her bottle and her mom/aunt/whatever started saying "don't do that bad" to her and slapped her hand like 7 times. It sounded like pretty hard slaps too and this was a little kid. I also hate it when parents hit their children then when they start crying they tell them to stop crying or they will get hit again. Um yeah if I frikken get hit by someone I'm going to frikken cry!
  7. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    ImNoOliveOyl's Avatar
    ImNoOliveOyl is offline
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,644
    #7
    Spanking, with an open hand, on the buttocks, that doesn't leave marks, is NOT ABUSE. The woman sounds like she overstepped her bounds by giving "advice" and I probably would have just ignored her. Sadly, you have to watch how you act around people, because all too often people make false reports to CPS.

    Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need




  8. Senior Member
    NobodySpecial's Avatar
    NobodySpecial is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,124
    #8
    You should've asked her if it were elder abuse if you didn't smack her stupid ass.
    Needs work.
  9. aka Mrs Gibberish
    =Mrs.AiNokeA='s Avatar
    =Mrs.AiNokeA= is offline
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    28,491
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    Spanking, with an open hand, on the buttocks, that doesn't leave marks, is NOT ABUSE. The woman sounds like she overstepped her bounds by giving "advice" and I probably would have just ignored her. Sadly, you have to watch how you act around people, because all too often people make false reports to CPS.
    The woman said she was abusing her child because she did NOT spank her. At least that's what I got when I read it.
  10. Senior Member
    wife-n-mommy's Avatar
    wife-n-mommy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,428
    Blog Entries
    1
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by FTCWifey View Post
    You should've asked her if it were elder abuse if you didn't smack her stupid ass.
    that's great!!
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

    Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

    Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

    Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •