Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Religion. :D

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Religion. :D

Advertisements
    Biting the bullet here. . I am a lurker more than a poster, but this came to my attention.

There are several questions raised about Islam lately in my school and all the fundamentalists got all huffy and basically bashed the religion saying that it was a religion of terror ands other bs like that.

What are your opinions on religion itself? I am an agnostic. I believe that there is a higher being, but I'm afraid of all of them. I'm afraid that if I choose one, that it will be the wrong one and I'll be punished by the real one..

Well, there you go. Have fun!
  2. Senior Member
    I think that religion is a personal thing and no one can rightly tell you what you believe is wrong.
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I don't think it is any better or worse than any other religion. I am Atheist, so that should give a pretty good idea of my thoughts on religion in general.
  4. Senior Member
    I believe in my religion and believe it is the right way. How could you not believe that about your own religion?

I am also aware of other religions and respect that. You dont worry about me and I wont worry about you!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sweet. But do people honestly really believe stuff like that about Islam?? If so, why??

My old houseparent and I had a huge argument about why she refused to vote for Obama, and that was simply because she thought he was Muslim.
  6. Senior Member
    I was raised in a strict Catholic family, but now I'm much more spiritual. I still consider myself Catholic, I'm just a lot more liberal about it now.

As for other religions, I think every religion has something to offer that can be learned from. I think it's interesting to look at different beliefs.
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Some people will believe anything that is forwarded to them in an email. You should see some of the ridiculous stuff that my sister sends me sometimes. Her boyfriends family forwards her these completely ridiculous and blatantly hateful emails all the time and we both just sit there reading them in complete disbelief because they actually believe every single word of it. It seems like some people just LOVE to hate others, it makes them feel better about themselves I guess, and so it is easy for them to believe that kind of stuff.
  8. Senior Member
    Let me first say that I am an Atheist.

But, I think that there are parts of religious belief structures that are very beautiful. I think a lot can be learned from religion. Take Christianity for example, I actually, even though I don't believe in any god, think that some of the lessons taught are very helpful to people in general, like the 10 commandments (Well most of them, 5-10). Do I think that I will be struck down if I don't follow them, no. But that doesn't mean I don't think they are good guidelines for living a good life. Or Buddhism, the eight paths are AMAZING rules to live by. Those are just two examples, of good things I think can be taken from religion, but there are many more.

To me, it's certain individuals that give particular religions a bad name. For example Muslim people in general being seen as bad, because of the actions of a few. When people do things that are taken as bad by the rest of society, in the name of any certain religion, even though it may not have been done along the guidelines of that religion, people are going to associate the action with the religion in whose name it was done in. I think it's a horrible way to look at it, but seems that more often than not, it happens. I wish people would look at the core beliefs, instead of the few actions, of a few extremists.

My biggest problem with certain religious people, is the judgment of others who do not believe the same thing that they do. I have encountered WAY too many people who, for some reason, think because I don't believe in any sort of god, that I must not be a good and decent human being. I have morals, ethics, and live a good, honest life. I don't do it for any other reason than I feel it's the right thing to do. Does that make me lesser than someone who does it for God? I certainly don't think so. And, I don't look down on others who have religion, because they don't think the way that I do. It's about respecting others for everything that they choose to be, and even what they choose not to be.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I was raised Catholic and then when I went to a Home, it was a Christian one. We had to get baptized and go to church three times a week.

Instead of growing into a religion, I grew to hate the god they were pedalling because if you did something the houseparent didn't like, they'd say that god didn't like it. It was dreadful.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Religion is a personal thing.

A lot of religions hold the same values when you get down to the bare-bones of them.

People who try to push their beliefs on people IMO are ignorant and are the reason for so many wars.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast