Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beauty Pageants, Modeling, Playboy and other things

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Beauty Pageants, Modeling, Playboy and other things

Advertisements
    Things that parade and celebrate the physical aspects of women and not their smarts, personality, etc.

Do you think these things help or hurt our society's views of what "women" are or what we should try to be?
    Do you feel that the people who participate in such things are individually hurting or helping the expectations of the average women in society?
  2. Senior Member
    I personally don't see anything wrong with it... I was in them for years. As long as it is something the girl wants to do... They don't just promote beauty. Alot of the pagents you have to be top of everything. Education for one... And you get scholarships like crazy.. I think it helps..

Women should realize that they shouldn't compare themselves to other women, we all have our own beautiful qualities... I don't think that you should punish women who have high self esteems for the women who don't. So I don't think we hurt society by doing pagents. There are BEAUTIFUL women that are HORRIBLE people... But then there are women who aren't pagent beautiful that are the most beautiful people on the inside.
    I knew the moment I first looked into your eyes - before you ever kissed me, I knew whether you knew it or not, and no matter how long it took, you were the one for me. I didn't care what people said or what the odds were. I didn't pay attention to anything but to what my heart was telling me. "This is it," my heart said. "This is the one you've been waiting for!" And thats the way I've felt about you ever since.That's the way it still is every time I hear your voice on the other end of the line. It doesn't matter whether we're in or out of love at that moment. I guess that's cause we both know you'll always be mine and I'll always be yours. Thats what being in love is all about!

3. My Life is My Own Again! YAY!!
    My Life is My Own Again! YAY!!
    NoVA/He's on a boat right now, but stationed in Japan
    I'll believe they're about "education" the day a man has to wag his package on stage and answer questions about world peace.

Until then, I'll believe about them what I've known and every other person with common sense knows about them: they're about women's beauty and nothing else.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Do you think these things help or hurt our society's views of what "women" are or what we should try to be?
    I don't think they help it. Most women and young girls compare themselves to these women and expect perfection. Some will go to any length and pay any price to achieve it. I have a problem with our society not being happy with our looks and individuality. Everyone doesn't need to be a size 2 with long blonde hair and big boobs. (Not picking on those people, just an example!) Women compare themselves to these people, whether they admit it or not.

Do you feel that the people who participate in such things are individually hurting or helping the expectations of the average women in society?
    I think they contribute to creating the stereo type that women achieve to be. But I don't think they set out with that goal in mind.

I have a friend who has participated in beauty pageants for several years. She won 3 and went on to try for Miss Florida. She was VERY smart, and did it for the scholarships. But if you've ever had an inside view to those pageants, you would know it's not about how smart you are or how much talent you have. It's really a beauty pageant. You are highly judged on your looks. And sadly, sometimes it's about who you know.
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    I think they hurt. Not to the individuals involved - but the majority of society who know nothing of those scholerships, etc (In fact, I know nothing of the benifits - I didn't realize that any type of beauty pageant gave any merit to education.)
    Most people (mainly boys/men I'm refering to - who have no one telling them from day 1 that "women and girls are more than just pretties.") They quickly see women ONLY because visuals - nothing more. And I think that first, very limited exposure can seriously affect their view of women for the rest of their life. (including those who have Sahm's (promoting the notion that Mom's shouldn't work) ) .. Which is a hard rock to climb out from.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Most of those women in the Miss USA pageant have their masters degree. They are very smart educated women. Miss USA is also about more then just your looks.

I don't see anything wrong with a women entering ANY profession of her choice be that rocket scientist or Playboy Bunny. My Grandma didn't burn her bra so that I could NOT have choice. She burned it so that women would be free to be what ever it is they wanted to be.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i don't see anything wrong with it personally.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Women are beautiful creatures. We should be allowed to show it and appreciate it without being made to feel like we're hurting society.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    IMO, they are silly and i'm not very interested in watching them. i think they can be a good thing if it helps someone obtain a scholarship. i don't compare myself to these fantasy women. when i try to look better i think of myself. the weight i was most happy at, the hair color that looked best on me, etc. i think some women compare themselves to the pageant ladies but i think everyone should just do what makes them happy. i don't think pageants are detrimental to the stereotype of women.
  10. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    i'm not a huge fan of pagents because they just seem so fake. but i am not against modeling and celebrating the physical attributes of women (so long as these are real women and not glamourizing the anorexic heroine chic look). I think women should celebrate themselves inside and out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast