Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Prison Labor!

1. Banned
    Banned

Prison Labor!

Advertisements
    Is it unethical/mean/wrong/<fill in objection here> to use prisoners as a source of cheap labor?

Should we use prisoners for MORE than we already do? What tasks would YOU like to see our prisoner population doing?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think prisoners need to do whatever they can to give back to the community they hurt.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    They should work.

The prisoners down near where my horse is boarded break and train Mustangs.
  4. Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    I think it is ethical and healthy.

For example: Joe Arpaio, Sheriff of Arizona is making prisoners work in animal rescue facilities.

THAT IS AWESOME!! They actually get the opportunity to remediate and use this time as a therapy to care for somethine. It gives the convict a sense of accomplishment and purpose and hopefully they can direct that positive attitude to when they get out of the slammer.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I want prisoners to do whatever it takes to think "holy crap, I'm NEVER going back to prison!!!!"

If we get work out of them to help the community in the meantime, that's even BETTER!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    they should work. my tax dollars (well my hubby's) already house, feed and provide medical care for them so they should at least give something back
  7. Senior Member
    Oh the more labor the better. Not only does it give back to the community in which they wronged, it gives them training and experience opportunities to use for paying jobs if anf when they get out of prison.

It also helps to pay for their keep.

And as someone mentioned Sheriff Joe, I just LOVE his prison and his ideas. Every prison should be run as his is.
    *** Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. ***
    *** Women's Rule of Thumb: If it has tires or testicles, you're going to have trouble with it! ***
    *** My husband bought me a mood ring the other day. When I'm in a good mood
    it turns green. When I'm in a bad mood, it leaves a red mark on his forehead. ***

Never go to bed mad, stay up and fight it out.
    ---------------------------------------------
    A half truth is still a whole lie.
  8. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

I totally agree with that sheriff in Arizona. Making the prisoners work is a win/win situation.

The prisoner gets to exercise and give back to the community. Not allowing them 23 hours per day to sit in their cell and think up shit to do to "get back at those that he loathes" (usually the people he hurt who helped put him in jail).

Gives the community free/cheap labor. I think they should clean out sewers, rebuild roads, work at landfills to sort/seperate recycleables, work for animal control...things that don't really put them up close and personal with the general public.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKOSWIFEY View Post
    I want prisoners to do whatever it takes to think "holy crap, I'm NEVER going back to prison!!!!"

If we get work out of them to help the community in the meantime, that's even BETTER!
    but I'm one of those really odd people that thinks prison shouldn't have cable tv or internet connecions either.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amazinggrace View Post
    but I'm one of those really odd people that thinks prison shouldn't have cable tv or internet connecions either.
    same here. prison should be minimal, it should be uncomfortable.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast