Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s/o Tricare paying for pregnancy

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

s/o Tricare paying for pregnancy

Advertisements
    Okay, so we're debating the merits of tricare covering the pregnancy of an unmarried civilian female when the babydaddy is a military male.

On the other side of this- if a civilian female gets her prenatal care through medicaid, once paternity is established as a man in the military, should medicaid then pursue babydaddy for expenses?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Everett, WA Like New Jersey, only no cool mobsters or sunshine!
    Do they do it for civilians? I have no experience with it, I don't know.
  3. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    why shouldn't the female be responsible for part of the expenses???

My little Loves!
  4. DutchGirl
    Sure... but for 50% of the expenses, regardless of military status. You make a baby, you get 50% of the responsibility.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    why shouldn't the female be responsible for part of the expenses???
    That's a good idea; I should have phrased it at 50% of the expense.
  6. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    they should pursue 50% f the costs

7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I think that both parties should be responsible. However if they started doing that then i could see a big jump in women not wanting to get medicade/care for fear of owing money to the gov.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

8. DutchGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    I think that both parties should be responsible. However if they started doing that then i could see a big jump in women not wanting to get medicade/care for fear of owing money to the gov.
    Also a good point. If we hold the father responsible, then we should hold the mother responsible as well.

And then well... it's not really "free" prenatal care anymore, is it?

So I guess the debate is whether it should be provided free of charge or not. If you are going to charge the father, you should also charge the mother.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchGirl View Post
    Sure... but for 50% of the expenses, regardless of military status. You make a baby, you get 50% of the responsibility.
    Well, if his only insurance would be Medicaid then that would be pointless, but I think it's a good idea to pursue him for half the expenses. Realistically, the expenses would probably be covered by Tricare, but that would be a way of making sure the baby was listed in his records as his dependent and was therefor eligible for medical care under Tricare.

OTOH, if the guys were told that if they make a baby and don't marry the momma they'll be responsible for half the expenses out of pocket (and don't expect Tricare to cover it), it might make a few of them think twice about random sexual encounters. Especially if it turns out to be a high-risk pregnancy or delivery- that can cost a ton of money.
  10. DutchGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Well, if his only insurance would be Medicaid then that would be pointless, but I think it's a good idea to pursue him for half the expenses. Realistically, the expenses would probably be covered by Tricare, but that would be a way of making sure the baby was listed in his records as his dependent and was therefor eligible for medical care under Tricare.

OTOH, if the guys were told that if they make a baby and don't marry the momma they'll be responsible for half the expenses out of pocket (and don't expect Tricare to cover it), it might make a few of them think twice about random sexual encounters. Especially if it turns out to be a high-risk pregnancy or delivery- that can cost a ton of money.
    Hmm... so was your question more should the father's insurance be pursued? Because I was seeing it as, "Congratulations, you're a babydaddy. Here's how much you owe." Nothing to do with insurance. I was going the out of pocket route. But if we do that, shouldn't the mother also have to pony up? It takes two to make the babies.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast