Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alimony, Monetarial Expectations??

1. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot

Alimony, Monetarial Expectations??

Advertisements
    How long should a couple be together before the wife is entitled to alimony or any other monetarial (sp?) provisions?

Do you count the amount of time they have been together as a whole, the time they have been married, the time they have been living together as one under one roof?

Does the answer differ between couples with kids vs. no kids?

Discuss, debate, satisfy my curiosity of picking your brains.

2. Senior Member
    Well my mom receives/received (I say present tense becuase he owes back pay) alimony. In Ohio at the time of their divorce I believe the criteria was that you had to be considered part of a long term marriage. Long term marriage = 15+ years of marriage. They were married for 18 officially at the time of divorce. So she received it for 7 years.

I thought they have pretty much done away with alimony except for certain instances?? I could be wrong
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of states setting their own guidelines and then getting lawyers to hash it out.

Frankly, I have a hard time with the idea of alimony because it's a throwback to a patriarchal society in which women depended on men for support.

I don't like the idea of a certain number of years = X number of dollars for Y number of months. They really need to look at how the marriage impacted both partners and any children. Did one parent have a really good job and the other one have to put a career on hold in order to be home with a special needs child? Was there a reasonable expectation of the SAHP going back to school once the kids were in full-time school, thus making themselves marketable?

Spousal support when there are no children? I'm having a hard time seeing why this would be necessary, unless it could be proven that one partner was not allowed to seek employment, or was denied the opportunity for promotion, or had to take a lower-paying position purely because of the other partner.

Seriously- let the lawyers hash it out and advocate for their clients.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Everett, WA Like New Jersey, only no cool mobsters or sunshine!
    I wouldn't want alimony. Child support, yes, because it's both parent's responsibility to financially provide for their children.

But I am an able-bodied, intelligent, ambulatory person who is perfectly capable of providing for myself.
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    I think general alimony applied to all divorces/couples is ridiculous.

IMHO - the only ties that should bind AFTER a divorce are children and medical issues. Other than children and med issues I see no reason why one spouse should continue to support the other.

I think alimony granted in all non-child/med issue related divorces is old fashioned and dates back to when women were ALWAYS dependent of their husbands. But in this day and age a woman can earn just as much money as any man so there's no reason for it.

Per a time limit - no, no time limit. When you get married it makes everything official. Your "time limit" is your engagement time.
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    I think general alimony applied to all divorces/couples is ridiculous.

IMHO - the only ties that should bind AFTER a divorce are children and medical issues. Other than children and med issues I see no reason why one spouse should continue to support the other.

I think alimony granted in all non-child/med issue related divorces is old fashioned and dates back to when women were ALWAYS dependent of their husbands. But in this day and age a woman can earn just as much money as any man so there's no reason for it.

Per a time limit - no, no time limit. When you get married it makes everything official. Your "time limit" is your engagement time.
    I don't know i think if i spent my good working years taking care of my husband and children only to be starting over at age 30 something there is nothing wrong with reaping the benefit of that. Most employers don't want to hire people who don't have years of experience even with a degree. If you have a big gap in your work experience it doesn't make you a prime candidate for hire.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    I don't know i think if i spent my good working years taking care of my husband and children only to be starting over at age 30 something there is nothing wrong with reaping the benefit of that. Most employers don't want to hire people who don't have years of experience even with a degree. If you have a big gap in your work experience it doesn't make you a prime candidate for hire.
    AND that should be considered, by all means. That's what i means by one spouse putting a career or education on hold; and that should absolutely be recognized.

Lawyers. Let 'em hash it out.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What I dont get it when i watch court shows on tv is where one person thinks they are entitled to this and that...

I think things like money in the bank should be split if its a joint account.

But i dont agree with the spousal thing with no kids...That is an abled bodied person who can work, thats my opinion.
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  9. Senior Member
    [QUOTE=eelo;2702632]AND that should be considered, by all means. That's what i means by one spouse putting a career or education on hold; and that should absolutely be recognized.

Lawyers. Let 'em hash it out.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think the lawyers should hash it all out. My mom wasn't asking for the alimony but her laywer thought she could get and his lawyer was a dumbass so she got it. She didn't really make more money, I think it was more equal parts BUT she had the more staedy job. My dad and his lawyer were just idiots and he lied about how much he made...for the positive... he owned his own business. So would you refuse it if it was granted to you? I sure as heck wouldn't.
  10. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    I think wives who have stayed home raising children on the agreement of both husband and wife do deserve some type of alimony till they can get on their own feet.

But I just have a problem with women who have no kids, were barely married and then think they are entitled to anything they want to dig their claws into.

Maybe I am bitter from my divorce and how it went down, but sometimes you just have to leave the money alone and walk away from the marriage. Money is just money it comes and goes and when you die you don't take it with you so why continue to argue bout it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast