Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jewish or not?

1. Senior Member

Jewish or not?

Advertisements
    Whenever religion gets thrown in the mix things get heated. Sorry if this becomes one of those threads. I truely am learning in this area and would like others opinions.

One man has a black mother and a white fater. His mother is jewish.

One man has a black father and white mother. His mother is jewish

One man has a white mother and a white father. His father is jewish

One man has a black mother and black father. his father is jewish

Are any of them jewish?

I only ask this because My father is jewish and my mother was catholic but i have chosen to live a christian life. Does my father being jewish and having a jewish blood line make me jewish?

AND i ask this because on one of the the ships two men are jewish and niether one of them got a small pox vac given by the command. It is against the religion i guess. But one man is throwing the other man under the bus.

One man said that since him mother is black and jewish it does NOT make him jewish.
    The man making the claims about the other man has a jewish father and he believes jewish is in the blood of man. Not woman.

I asked why it was such a big deal about black and white and he said, Because black woman or black men are not allowed to marry into a jewish family. It makes the jewish family blood line void.

PLEASE NOTE: i'm not trying to show any racisim here. Just stating the fact of what happened which is why i'm asking questions
  2. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Depends on what sect of Judaism. In some sects, no. In others, yes.
  3. Senior Member
    Really? so there are diff sects? How interesting. I should buy a book and read up on it.

BUT until then.. LOL, what are the diff sects and what is the mass diff in both?
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Depends on what sect of Judaism. In some sects, no. In others, yes.
    I had a co-worker who was telling me about herself and how she was Jewish, but her DH isn't yet he didn't want to convert because he would have to follow the rules strictly where as she didn't have to, but their son would be the same as her since he was born to a jewish parent. if any of that made sense.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. DutchGirl
    I'm not that knowledgeable in Judaism, but I've always sort of had it in my head that there are differences in Judaism as a heritage and Judaism as a religion... they can overlap but sometimes I think they are different. It would then make sense to me that different divisions of Judaism have different views on ethnicity. They probably believe you wouldn't be Jewish by heritage if someone is black, but the ones who have chosen to convert and believe would probably accept other ethnicities. Does that make sense? I'm totally not knowledgeable, and not saying I agree or disagree, just postulating. Judaism has a lot more interest in heritage than many other religions though, so I could see someone making that argument, well-founded or not.
  6. Senior Member
    I thought it passed from the mother, so if your mom is christian, you are as well. Altho, in my opinion, you can be what ever you want to be
    I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failures to live up to these possibilities.
  7. DutchGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by mpicky View Post
    I thought it passed from the mother, so if your mom is christian, you are as well. Altho, in my opinion, you can be what ever you want to be
    Christianity has no such heritage stipulations. It is religion by choice. (Parents or family may "make you" go to church, but one is not considered Christian only by heritage.)
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I was always told the mother had to be jewish for the child to automatically be jewish, but that you can convert.

A jewish mom is key is what my jewish friends always told me growing up. I can remember one of my best friends dating a jewish man and they were pretty serious....she had to convert first before his parents really recognized how serious the two of them were because for him to have jewish children she had to become jewish as well. She converted, they married and have three beautiful children.

I think for alot of people being jewish is more than just religion......most of my jewish friends are very attached to israel and have alot of ties there. They donate and do as much in israel as they do in the united states.

ETA that I grew up around alot of Jewish reforms......they were pretty traditional, but allowed for people to convert to judaism thus having jewish children.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchGirl View Post
    Christianity has no such heritage stipulations. It is religion by choice. (Parents or family may "make you" go to church, but one is not considered Christian only by heritage.)
    that is what I always thought as well......I mean I was born to catholic parents, baptized, confirmed etc, but no longer follow catholocism........
  10. AheeOo, Killer Tofu!
    AheeOo, Killer Tofu!
    Blog Entries
    its by mother, if your mom is jewish, so are you. thats the rule
    You don't choose your family...they are God's gift to you
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast