Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: marriage out of convenience

1. Senior Member

marriage out of convenience

Advertisements
    how many of you agree/disagree with marriages that are solely for financial benefit/convenience? why or why not?

i think people should be able to do whatever they want to do and that means getting married for convenience but it's nothing that i would ever want to do. in my experience of meeting those "couples" i've always found that one partner was always more attached than the other & when the other finally wanted a divorce the more attached partner would be trying to make the marriage a "real" one, so to speak.

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad I'm not married for convenience, but if someone else wants to do that, I wouldn't stop them.

I don't think that we need a government definition of marriage. If two people want to make that committment, let them do it. heck, we've had threads in here and elsewhere with a young woman would complaining that the military husband wasn't putting her on the insurance, that he's not sending ehr any money to pay the bills, things like that..... what kind of marriage is that?

And what about marriages that look all hunky-dory from the outside looking in, but if you have a real conversation with the individuals, it's not a 'marriage' at all, at least not what I would consider a marriage.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I dont disagree with it, my lingo is "to each his own" if you want to marry for financial purposes so be it but its not something I could ever do.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    i dont think anyone should marry for convenience. That ebing said, I know alot of soldiers do it for the benefits of the extra money and getting out of the barracks, stuff like that. I think as long as both go in understanding its more of a business deal then maybe it works out, but its not fair if one goes in with the idea that it will be a real thing. There is however a couple at my church who did the whole contract marriage, later wanted to do a divorce since it was the real thing and ended up working it out. 38 years later they have three kids, both have been out of the service for a long time and are one of the couples I model for my own marriage. But i know most benefit marriages do not work out like that.........
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    I'm glad I'm not married for convenience, but if someone else wants to do that, I wouldn't stop them.

I don't think that we need a government definition of marriage. If two people want to make that committment, let them do it. heck, we've had threads in here and elsewhere with a young woman would complaining that the military husband wasn't putting her on the insurance, that he's not sending ehr any money to pay the bills, things like that..... what kind of marriage is that?

And what about marriages that look all hunky-dory from the outside looking in, but if you have a real conversation with the individuals, it's not a 'marriage' at all, at least not what I would consider a marriage.
    ITA with what you said about a government definition, it's true. i'm not all for them but hey if it's what they want to do with their lives then fine by me.

& you're right, there have been plenty of married couples that i've met that don't really seem to actually be married. i just thought it was a bit off when my dh had mentioned it to me the other night about one of his friends.

now how about this.. do you think a military to military marriage for convenience really provides much benefit?

6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Marriage for love is a relatively new concept. And in most countries marriages are made for financial gain.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    Marriage for love is a relatively new concept. And in most countries marriages are made for financial gain.
    You took the words out of my mouth.

I think if you can marry for love (true love not lust); you are truely blest. If you want to go into a business deal, go for it. I do think it is sad that way but there isn't really anything wrong about it.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    IMO, I know those that have done it, and DB/F and I have spoken about it.

It's practical, especially for young couples who are down on their luck financially.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman's.Reina View Post
    IMO, I know those that have done it, and DB/F and I have spoken about it.

It's practical, especially for young couples who are down on their luck financially.
    i see what you're trying to say i'm not sure if i wasn't completely clear or not but i'll clarify slightly.

example: person A and person B have no interest in each other whatsoever, they make a plan that the marriage is strictly for financial gain/convenience and basically treat everything as if they're single.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post

I personally, at this point in my life, could never see myself being married for pure convenience.. but who knows.

I also support gay marriage/civil unions. You can't always help who you are, and you can't always help who you love, or the situation you are put into.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast