Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Draft....unconstitutional or not?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

The Draft....unconstitutional or not?

Advertisements
    Do you feel re-instituting the draft is the unconstitutional?

Giving people a choice as to whether or not they want to serve in the military as infringing on their rights?

If we did re-institute the draft to help combat battle fatigue and rising PTSD rates, then would the entire military system have to be overhauled? Would military families loose benefits because in essence, every able-bodied man would be serving, including those married and with children?
  2. Senior Member
    It's not unconstitutional, but there's NO WAY the current economy/military budget could handle even a partial draft..
  3. Senior Member
    I had a letter published in an open forum, here's a copy paste of what I think from the archive of the local paper... This is JMO, and what I think about drafts.. If someone can show me where I'm wrong and re-educate me, I'd definitely reconsider my POV..

Rep. Rangel introduced the military draft legislation to make a political point against the war, not because he thinks his bills have any chance of passing. He's full of it when he introduced the legislation.

According to the Selective Service, there are 11 million men registered ages 18 to 26. However, the bills that (goofy) man wrote applied to females as well, so let's double it to 22 million.

Assume that 22 million "draftees" are serving in the grade of E-1 (the very lowest enlisted grade). An E-1 in today's military starts off at $1278.50 per month.

That comes to a payroll of $28 billion dollars per month, just in the basic pay. It's a yearly payroll of $337 billion dollars.

We also have to feed these troops. Currently, it's $200 per month to feed a Joe. So, we'll have to add $52.8 billion dollars to our military budget.

Where are these 22 million troops going to live? Well, we certainly can't house them in the Louisiana Superdome. Military personnel receive a housing allowance that, for an E-1 averages about $800 per month. That's a housing budget of $211 billion dollars per year..

Add the costs for uniforms, equipment, training, dental, relocation expenses, etc.

We can barely afford our current force-levels of 1.5 million active duty members. Our country doesn't need a draft, nor could we afford bringing even a small percentage of our population on active duty.

Rep. Rangel is playing games with the media. But even worse then that? Politicians are playing on the fears of their constituents as parents. I hope you don't buy into these scare tactics, there's nothing to worry about.
    I never considered the PTSD counseling that many vets would need, perhaps that would also have to be added in.... I don't think an overhaul per-se would quite do it..
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    I had a letter published in an open forum, here's a copy paste of what I think from the archive of the local paper... This is JMO, and what I think about drafts.. If someone can show me where I'm wrong and re-educate me, I'd definitely reconsider my POV..

I never considered the PTSD counseling that many vets would need, perhaps that would also have to be added in.... I don't think an overhaul per-se would quite do it..
    are you saying it would be near impossible?

If you think about what a draft could do. I mean it would completely change the American landscape......almost like a smaller WW2 era.

Although weren't a lot of military bases just used for training purposes in WW2? I know they are still using WW2 barracks and even WW1 barracks were still in use in Vietnam at FLW. (totally off on a tangent )

Anyway....

I don't think there would be as much support for military families. I think because the military has been something of choice for the past 40 years, that it has changed significantly. People talk about coming back with the draft, and if it ever did pass in the Senate, it would almost certainly be challanged if the president happened to sign off on it.

It would just be an astounding, propersterous thing to even consider doing, and it would take so much to accommidate that amount of people coming into service.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It's not unconstitutional, but there's NO WAY the current economy/military budget could handle even a partial draft..
    I agree. Here's where I break with most everyone else. I think it should be mandatory that everyone, upon high school graduation/18th b-day, that they serve a two year stint in the branch of their choice. Flame away, I'm solid in my opinion on this
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldEyes View Post
    I agree. Here's where I break with most everyone else. I think it should be mandatory that everyone, upon high school graduation/18th b-day, that they serve a two year stint in the branch of their choice. Flame away, I'm solid in my opinion on this
    Teach those boys how to make their beds and scrub a floor!!!!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Teach those boys how to make their beds and scrub a floor!!!!

DH still can't make our bed worth a crap, so I guess the army failed us.....Or he's just a lazy bum at home
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I forgot we still had a constitution, at least anything other then the 2nd Amend.
    Leftover, presuming all pay and benefits in the military stay the same, there are important financial considerations that you are forgetting.
    But drafting everyone between the ages of 18 and 24, it will reduce the younger entry level work force. Older Americans will stay in their jobs longer, saving us some social security, unemployment, and welfare benefits.
    No one between the ages of 18 and 24 will be collecting unemployment, social security, or other government benefits.
    Rather then sending billions a month to Afghanistan, we will have enough troops to send of our own.
    Since the draft will most likely include non-military positions, we will finally have enough healthcare workers, firefighters, etc.
    Instead of keeping our troops in combat for 12-to 18 months, we will have enough to rotate every 6 months or so. It will mean more deployments, but shorter ones, saving many marriages, and preventing many ptsd issues.
    Universal healthcare, especially for children, will finally be possible, because of the VA benefits.
    Our prisons may be less crowded (hopefully) because instead of the crimes created by boredom, mostly drug related, the people will have been in military service before they had that opportunity (hopefully).
    If every drafted VA was guaranteed at least a minimum college/trade school education, that would help the economy in the long term.
    Id we had an armed force consisting of many more soldiers, maybe some other countries would bluster less, because we would finally have enough troops to back up our threats.
    If kids knew that they could be sent to war, they may actually give more of a damn and get more involved in our government and voting, etc.

There would hopefully be less blind trust in our government.

Also, as someone mentioned above, I am sure the entire pay/bah/benefits system would be restructured.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldEyes View Post
    Basically like Israel right?
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    I forgot we still had a constitution, at least anything other then the 2nd Amend.
    Leftover, presuming all pay and benefits in the military stay the same, there are important financial considerations that you are forgetting.
    But drafting everyone between the ages of 18 and 24, it will reduce the younger entry level work force. Older Americans will stay in their jobs longer, saving us some social security, unemployment, and welfare benefits.
    No one between the ages of 18 and 24 will be collecting unemployment, social security, or other government benefits.
    Rather then sending billions a month to Afghanistan, we will have enough troops to send of our own.
    Since the draft will most likely include non-military positions, we will finally have enough healthcare workers, firefighters, etc.
    Instead of keeping our troops in combat for 12-to 18 months, we will have enough to rotate every 6 months or so. It will mean more deployments, but shorter ones, saving many marriages, and preventing many ptsd issues.
    Universal healthcare, especially for children, will finally be possible, because of the VA benefits.
    Our prisons may be less crowded (hopefully) because instead of the crimes created by boredom, mostly drug related, the people will have been in military service before they had that opportunity (hopefully).
    If every drafted VA was guaranteed at least a minimum college/trade school education, that would help the economy in the long term.
    Id we had an armed force consisting of many more soldiers, maybe some other countries would bluster less, because we would finally have enough troops to back up our threats.
    If kids knew that they could be sent to war, they may actually give more of a damn and get more involved in our government and voting, etc.

There would hopefully be less blind trust in our government.

Also, as someone mentioned above, I am sure the entire pay/bah/benefits system would be restructured.

Oh So true. I am in complete middle ground with you all. I just wanted to educate myself on the issue.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast