Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From crayons to condoms

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

From crayons to condoms

Advertisements
    I saw this book http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending at barnes and noble the other day. It reads like a conservative republican urban myths and legends book about teaching. I didn't know if I should bust out laughing OR if I should be upset that it was making all of our nations teachers out to be villains.
    Last edited by Sophie♥Hatter; 07-04-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: sorry wrong link fixed it now
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Green~Mammy View Post
    I saw this book http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending at barnes and noble the other day. It reads like a conservative republican urban myths and legends book about teaching. I didn't know if I should bust out laughing OR if I should be upset that it was making all of our nations teachers out to be villains.
    I am a villain. OOOOOO, are ya skeered now?

I loved this from the big review: Just think about being in your "Golden Years" and having to rely on throngs of illiterate, incompetent, whimsical, irrational, lazy, stupid, perpetually-childish rabble to keep society running AND maintain our present lifestyle. Think about trying to get service if your furnace breaks down, and think about systems of communications and how they will deteriorate. Think about manufacturing and decision-making and design. Think about transportation - air, sea, train, even automobile travel and what a debacle that will become! Think of the level of medical care, law enforcement, and food supply there will be when all these "educated" darlings are adults and YOU are a senior citizen! THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS, because the worst is coming just as sure as you're reading this review!

This is exactly what my parents were saying about the state of education in the 60s. I suspect their parents said the same things about the state of eduucation in the 30s.

The vast, vast majority of people in this country, including the ones running this country, are products of the public school system. We can't all be the illiterate boneheads this book describes.

The system's not perfect. It is flawed. Some children are not able to get the best education through the public school system, and their families make decisions and choices that they believe are int he best interests of the child and the family. If that means the child goes to a private/parochial school, or the family homeschools the child, so be it. The child's best interests should be the determining factor.

However, with the mandate we are given (every child, regardless of abilities, is entitled to a free public education), in the grand scheme of things I think we do a pretty good job. And no matter what the reports say, other developed/developing countries still wish their school systems were like ours.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    parents need to educate their children and not leave it in the hands of the schools
  4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

As soon as I saw a rave review from Dr. Laura I laughed out loud.
  5. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Both maybe?

My DH will be one of the villians when he's done with the Army. We must be bad, bad people.

PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Well you already know how I feel about the public schools system in general.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    I am a villain. OOOOOO, are ya skeered now?

I loved this from the big review: Just think about being in your "Golden Years" and having to rely on throngs of illiterate, incompetent, whimsical, irrational, lazy, stupid, perpetually-childish rabble to keep society running AND maintain our present lifestyle. Think about trying to get service if your furnace breaks down, and think about systems of communications and how they will deteriorate. Think about manufacturing and decision-making and design. Think about transportation - air, sea, train, even automobile travel and what a debacle that will become! Think of the level of medical care, law enforcement, and food supply there will be when all these "educated" darlings are adults and YOU are a senior citizen! THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS, because the worst is coming just as sure as you're reading this review!

This is exactly what my parents were saying about the state of education in the 60s. I suspect their parents said the same things about the state of eduucation in the 30s.

The vast, vast majority of people in this country, including the ones running this country, are products of the public school system. We can't all be the illiterate boneheads this book describes.

The system's not perfect. It is flawed. Some children are not able to get the best education through the public school system, and their families make decisions and choices that they believe are int he best interests of the child and the family. If that means the child goes to a private/parochial school, or the family homeschools the child, so be it. The child's best interests should be the determining factor.

However, with the mandate we are given (every child, regardless of abilities, is entitled to a free public education), in the grand scheme of things I think we do a pretty good job. And no matter what the reports say, other developed/developing countries still wish their school systems were like ours.
    Eelo, may I say that you rock?

Yeah. I agree with all of the above. It's what I've seen in my experience, too.
  8. fridaynightgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Yeah, that pretty much says it all..
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I know right! I liked how we are apparently pushing both Islam and lesbianism/homosexuality all at once.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I know right! I liked how we are apparently pushing both Islam and lesbianism/homosexuality all at once.
    Yeah, that makes my ears bleed, right there People should have hobbies, or something.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast