Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how long is too long to breast feed?

1. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!

Shock how long is too long to breast feed?

Advertisements
    i was watching the tyra show today. she had a woman on who breastfed her children until they were 7 & 9 i believe it was. and the oldest asked for breast milk for her 9th birthday, so she let her try to breast feed. does anyone see this as normal!?!?!?! i found it VERY creepy and wrong.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    How ever long the child and mother feel comfortable breastfeeding. The biological norm for for human primates to nurse would be 2.5-7 years. The world wide average age of weaning is between 3.5 - 4 years of age.

Nursing a toddler is NORMAL

* The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that "Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child... Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother... There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer." (AAP 2005)

* The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that breastfeeding continue throughout the first year of life and that "Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired." They also note that "If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned." (AAFP 2001)

* A US Surgeon General has stated that it is a lucky baby who continues to nurse until age two. (Novello 1990)

* The World Health Organization emphasizes the importance of nursing up to two years of age or beyond (WHO 1992, WHO 2002).

* Scientific research by Katherine A. Dettwyler, PhD shows that 2.5 to 7.0 years of nursing is what our children have been designed to expect (Dettwyler 1995).

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    Another very good article by Dr. Jack Newman
    http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/toddler.htm

Both Dr. Jack Newman & Ktherine A. Dettwyler, PhD are the leading researchers on breastfeeding benefits.

There are also benefits for the mother:
    MOTHERS also benefit from nursing past infancy

* Extended nursing delays the return of fertility in some women by suppressing ovulation (References).

* Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer (References). Studies have found a significant inverse association between duration of lactation and breast cancer risk.

* Breastfeeding reduces the risk of ovarian cancer (References).

* Breastfeeding reduces the risk of uterine cancer (References).

* Breastfeeding reduces the risk of endometrial cancer (References).

* Breastfeeding protects against osteoporosis. During lactation a mother may experience decreases of bone mineral. A nursing mom's bone mineral density may be reduced in the whole body by 1 to 2 percent while she is still nursing. This is gained back, and bone mineral density may actually increase, when the baby is weaned from the breast. This is not dependent on additional calcium supplementation in the mother's diet. (References).

* Breastfeeding reduces the risk of rheumatoid arthritis. (References).

* Breastfeeding has been shown to decrease insulin requirements in diabetic women (References).

* Breastfeeding moms tend to lose weight easier (References).
    From Dr. Jack Newmans Breastfeeding Myths handouts.
    Breastfeeding a child until 3 or 4 years of age is abnormal and bad for the child, causing an overdependent relationship between mother and child. Not true! Breastfeeding for 2-4 years was the rule in most cultures since the beginning of human time on this planet. Only in the last 100 years or so has breastfeeding been seen as something to be limited. Children nursed into the third year are not overly dependent. On the contrary, they tend to be very secure and thus more independent. They themselves will make the step to stop breastfeeding (with gentle encouragement from the mother), and thus will be secure in their accomplishment.
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml
  3. My Life is My Own Again! YAY!!
    My Life is My Own Again! YAY!!
    NoVA/He's on a boat right now, but stationed in Japan
    If the child can ASK for boob, I'd say that's when...
  4. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    You'll get a different answer for everyone as it's strickly a personal decision.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Also for the when they get teeth crowd children can get teeth as young as three months in some babies.

Babies ask to be nursed or given a bottle from birth so that line of thinking never makes sense to me either.
  6. Senior Member
    I personally would not feel comfortable doing it but I won't knock anyone who does.
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

For me.. once they bite they are off. If they don't bite, then 1 yr is my limit, but that's just me. I would feel really uncomfortable bfing a 2 yr old

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WGs_Grrl View Post
    If the child can ASK for boob, I'd say that's when...
    Children who are taught to sign their needs before they have the capacity to speak can ask at an age most would consider normal for still breast feeding. Less than a Year old.

I personally feel that so long as mother and child are both happy and comfortable with their arrangements, then breast feeding shouldn't be seen as something as bad. I DO think that was the children hit school age, it shouldn't be something done in front of others... but that is more because of friends from school finding out and resulting in teasing and such.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Personally, around 2 years was enough. No more then 3. That is just MY opinion.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Whatever is right for you and your children. Who cares what someone else is doing? Does their BFing their 9 yr old affect you? Nope.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast