Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Families or "Quiverfalls"

1. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot

Large Families or "Quiverfalls"

Advertisements
    Do you agree with Large Families or "Quiverfalls"?

Do you think that these families are putting a strain on the enviroment, the Gov't, continuing the over populating the earth myth, etc?

Do you think they need to become more responsible of their reproduction?

Do you think it's not possible to give love and attention to a family size of lets say 12 vs. 2?

Do you believe all large families are "Fundies"?

Do you think there should be something done to stop this "trend"?

Do you think that large families shelter their children too much because for the most part they do homeschool their children under their religion?

Just some thoughts that come to mind that Im curious bout.

The last month or so I have become strangely obsessed with Large Families. And just curious what others think.

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm not sure. My great grandfather was 1 of 12. And only 7 of the brothers were able to come over from Poland. So large family there. Back in 1901.

I think it was a lot more common, especially in communities based off of Agriculture and there weren't really a lot of forms of B/C as there are now, except condoms and timing your cycle.

I know there are a lot of Hispanic families who generally have a lot of children. Moreover, you have to take a look at how devoutly religious they are, seeing as how the Catholic Church does not condone birth control, yet they don't condone abortions for unwanted pregnancy

ANWAY, I think it's possible to give love and attention to 12 children, but it would be A LOT harder. Moreover, it's a lot harder financially to feed all of those children. I've always thought large families like that were a thing of the past when you needed them.

But then again we as a world society have completely broken the theory of malthusian checks, so maybe something does need to be done. You know Hispanic families are having children at a larger rate than Caucasian families, especially in the United States. That is why it's estimated that we will soon be the minority.

I don't think you can tell people what to do and how many children to have, if we were like that, we'd be like China.

HOWEVER, I don't like it that people use the Welfare System to get more money, because that completely degrades what my Great Grandparents did. They worked so hard, and had a Jewish Deli. My grandfather worked for his parents and so did his 6 brothers and sisters. They worked, and hard, and they ONLY took hand outs during the depression because they honestly honestly needed it.

They sufficed, and I don't think having more children just to get more money is an excuse. That needs to be stopped. I personally think there needs to be a complete overhaul of the welfare system.

**I think my views on Illegal Immigration have been indirectly voiced.
  3. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I don't.. it's not something we would ever do in our family, but if others are happy doing it and can afford to raise ALL the children without state/federal aid then to each their own. What I don't like is people who keep having kids just to get an increase in welfare benefits..

I have to add, the time when small family farms needed to have a lot of kids to help with farm chores is long over... so an overly large family doesn't make sense to me.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Do you agree with Large Families or "Quiverfalls"? yes

Do you think that these families are putting a strain on the enviroment, the Gov't, continuing the over populating the earth myth, etc? i think it all balances out, you have plenty of people that have no kids at all

Do you think they need to become more responsible of their reproduction? if they can handle it and aren't living on the welfare system i don't care

Do you think it's not possible to give love and attention to a family size of lets say 12 vs. 2? i think if the family can handle giving the love all around then great but i do have problems with families letting the kids raise the kids

Do you believe all large families are "Fundies"? no

Do you think there should be something done to stop this "trend"? no

Do you think that large families shelter their children too much because for the most part they do homeschool their children under their religion? no not all quiverful families are religious some just want a big family
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    I don't.. it's not something we would ever do in our family, but if others are happy doing it and can afford to raise ALL the children without state/federal aid then to each their own. What I don't like is people who keep having kids just to get an increase in welfare benefits..

I have to add, the time when small family farms needed to have a lot of kids to help with farm chores is long over... so an overly large family doesn't make sense to me.
    there are some families that still use sustainable farms for their families and could use those kids lol
  6. Senior Member
    Do you agree with Large Families or "Quiverfalls"?

No

Do you think that these families are putting a strain on the enviroment, the Gov't, continuing the over populating the earth myth, etc?

Yes, I think it is socially irresponsible

Do you think they need to become more responsible of their reproduction?

Yes, I am hoping if they have that many kids, they are taking care of them without assistance, but the fact is the Earth can't support the population we have

Do you think it's not possible to give love and attention to a family size of lets say 12 vs. 2?

Love, no, attention, yes. I doubt all these kids get one on one attention and I doubt they all get to do the activities they want. Can you imagine 12 kids in 12 different sports/activities. There is just no possible way

Do you believe all large families are "Fundies"?

Not all, but most of them.

Do you think there should be something done to stop this "trend"?

Other than education, no.

Do you think that large families shelter their children too much because for the most part they do homeschool their children under their religion?

I hate to see that the girls are trained to follow their mother's footsteps, but it takes all kinds.
    I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failures to live up to these possibilities.
  7. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    there are some families that still use sustainable farms for their families and could use those kids lol
    And just how many of those started farms to help pay for all the kids they already had? I stand by my point, it's not a NEED.

I'm off for the day.. have plans and don't have time to debate.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

8. Senior Member
    I think it depends. Can you clarify what you consider the begining of "large" family?
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Im going to vote NO to all the above. Both of my parent came from families of 6 kids. All are doing well. I believe only one family is on unemployment, but he is a war veteran with multiple health problems, not just lazin around or anything, and his wife still works part time....granted, they are also in their 60's. My grandmother came from a family of 10 kids I believe. Though I do suppose that the younger generations of huge familes are not always as det in their ways and have a few more issues than back then..... but overall, no I donot believe they are a burden on economy or anything like that
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I say... "to each his own."
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast