Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Large Families or "Quiverfalls"

1. Banned
    Banned
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    People can have whatever size families they want. I don't believe that kind of stuff should be government controlled. I do think that it is weird and I would never do it, and of course it puts a strain on the environment, but so does having one kid. I don't assume that all people who have large families are "fundies". I do wonder how it is possible to give every child in a family of a dozen or more kids adequate personal attention. I don't doubt that they love their kids but I do think that kids need one on one time with parents and doing that for 12+ kids and working to make enough money to support them would be close to impossible for a normal working class family. I don't find having that many kids some kind of a superman admirable feat, I just think it is another way that people choose to live.

That's about the extent of my opinion.
    I love it when someone else saves me having to type out a respons
  2. Senior Member
    Do you agree with Large Families or "Quiverfalls"? Absolutely.

Do you think that these families are putting a strain on the enviroment, the Gov't, continuing the over populating the earth myth, etc?NO

Do you think they need to become more responsible of their reproduction?No, it's not these people that are having a problem w/ being responsible w/ their reproduction.

Do you think it's not possible to give love and attention to a family size of lets say 12 vs. 2? It is possible to give both.

Do you believe all large families are "Fundies"?NO WAY!!! The large families that I have in mind are in no way receiving government funds.

Do you think there should be something done to stop this "trend"? NO!!! I would rather see a family w/ 12 responsible, productive, good citizens for children than a small family producing a bunch of lazy people that sit around and aren't productive in society or are doing drugs, murdering people, thieving, etc. I d,o however, have a great big issue w/ teenagers, drug users, and a few other groups of people reproducing. I do thing something should be done about them.

Do you think that large families shelter their children too much because for the most part they do homeschool their children under their religion?So what if they're homeschooling because of "religion". People homeschool for a lot of different reasons. I used to homeschool and I would NOT say it was becuase of "religion", even though I am a Christian. Who are we to say if one is sheltering too much or too little. Quite frankly, there are a lot of children that could use a little MORE sheltering than they are getting.

I've seen 2 very popular large families recently on tv. The children are wonderful productive citizens. The parents do not receive govt. funds, and they use all kinds of thrifty ways to save and conserve. The amazing thing is they're Christian homeschoolers. I totally admire them and back them 100%. For the people that are against this way of life, my I suggest you do some research on some of these families before judging their way of life? It's not for everyone, but a lot of these families are wonderful people.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyzx3 View Post
    The amazing thing is they're Christian homeschoolers.
    Sorry, that stuck out to me - why is that "amazing"?
  4. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Most Homeschoolers are Christian.

I homeschool our oldest while he attended a special-needs center for a few months and it was VERY hard to find secular non-religious homeschool materials.
    The only place i could go to in order t buy a few bits here and there were all the religious places (Mardel's, etc)
  5. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    Overpopulation doesn't have to be an issue.
    Wouldn't be an issue if people didn't live a supurfluous, unhealthy lifestyle (evironmentally speaking).
    If people would make an effort to be self sufficient then ti wouldn't be a problem at all.
    Ah yes, in a dream world, we would live that way. But we don't, we live in this crazy place. Don't see the whole world converting to living a simpler life that is healthier for us all and our planet anytime soon though. We don't all farm and need a large family to sustain ourselves, so something has to give one way or the other.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Ah yes, in a dream world, we would live that way. But we don't, we live in this crazy place. Don't see the whole world converting to living a simpler life that is healthier for us all and our planet anytime soon though. We don't all farm and need a large family to sustain ourselves, so something has to give one way or the other.
    Fair enough - however, why the assumption that large families will contribute any more to the demise of our ecosystem than a smaller family? Truth be told, most of the large families I have known in my lifetime (I grew up in an area where it was very much the "norm" were much MORE self-sustaining and much LESS the consumers/doomers than were the smaller families with more resources to spend on "stuff" for their family members
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    But at the same time, who is ANYONE to decide how many children I can or cant have? As long as I can take care of them, it's nobody's business how big or small my family is. KWIM?
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    Fair enough - however, why the assumption that large families will contribute any more to the demise of our ecosystem than a smaller family? Truth be told, most of the large families I have known in my lifetime (I grew up in an area where it was very much the "norm" were much MORE self-sustaining and much LESS the consumers/doomers than were the smaller families with more resources to spend on "stuff" for their family members
    I agree. That has been my experience as well.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    Sorry, that stuck out to me - why is that "amazing"?

Sorry, I don't use the long version of posting a response. My comment was totally dripping with
    The OP mention the trend of large families homeschooling because of religion.
    You know. Big deal.
  10. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Funny - I see a lot of people changing their lifestyle. Perhaps it's just where I live and who's in my family. But I see a lot of "going green."

We, for one, are starting a garden to provide our veggies - if we don't eat them fresh then I'll freeze them all and stock the deep freeze.

I've seen a lot of this with a lot of people - home-based gardens, energy efficient household items and vehicles and efforts to recycle, less waste, etc. Efforts to plant trees (that's our big thing) Drive less - so on and so forth.
    Instead of buying bottled - I filter my own
    Instead of plastic I use paper or fabric shopping bags.

A lot of people have taken this on - a lot.

People are not a problem - it's how they live. Clean up how you live and you are not the issue, anymore.
    That is in the US - now other countries with overpopulation issues have them for other reasons - demand on food supply and so on (Africa, China) ... And how many kids someone has, here, in the US doesn't affect the air quality in Taiwan or their food supply at all.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast