Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Quote by Abraham Lincoln

1. Banned
    Banned

A Quote by Abraham Lincoln

Advertisements
    "Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose - and you allow him to make war at pleasure."

Discuss.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I agree. I do think that invading to prevent a possible thread makes war a much more automatic option than it should be. War should be an absolute last resort, not a preventative measure.
  3. Am
    "Preventitive measure"? I'd call it retaliation. Primitive but instinctual nonetheless. Didn't anyone else feel like going to war after the terrorist attacks? As for being there now...yes it's been forever but you can't just back out before mission accomplished. Then the whole time there will have been pointless and we'd have to start over. Just my opinion.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Part of the initial "reasons" we went in was to "prevent" terrorist attacks here.

ETA: Revenge is never a good reason.
  5. jenniferleanne
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaHokie View Post
    "Preventitive measure"? I'd call it retaliation. Primitive but instinctual nonetheless. Didn't anyone else feel like going to war after the terrorist attacks? As for being there now...yes it's been forever but you can't just back out before mission accomplished. Then the whole time there will have been pointless and we'd have to start over. Just my opinion.

I completely agree! I want my man home just as much as the next person; however, pulling out all troops before "mission accomplished" would do nothing but cause chaos and another 9/11. War is an ugly thing but sometimes necessary!
  6. Am
    I know revenge is never good...but it's instinctual. And yeah I know it was to prevent but I felt the retaliation part was more appropriate. Were we just supposed to forget that it happened? You can't fight fire with patience.
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Revenge against who? Who are we enacting this awesome revenge on in Iraq?

And the quote isn't talking about revenge, it's talking specifically about "preventative" war, which is why I was talking about "preventative" war.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Revenge against who? Who are we enacting this awesome revenge on in Iraq?

And the quote isn't talking about revenge, it's talking specifically about "preventative" war, which is why I was talking about "preventative" war.
    Precisely.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Lincoln was a smart guy. I think he did it the right way- he had absolutely no choice but to engage in the Civil War, but since he had to he used it to accomplish further good for the country.

Other than for the preservation of safety and for freedom I don't believe a country's gain should be a justification for war, but once you have no other choice, you should see what additional good can come of it for your country.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaHokie View Post
    I know revenge is never good...but it's instinctual. And yeah I know it was to prevent but I felt the retaliation part was more appropriate. Were we just supposed to forget that it happened? You can't fight fire with patience.
    Er... wasn't 9/11 blamed on people from afghanistan? and didn't we rage war against.. Iraq?

where is the REVENGE?

we went purely to prevent something that might not even exist... and didn't exist.

and that is NOT how war should be. War should be a last resort when leaders of nations can not behave like ADULTS and fix things. And seeing as WE were the ones who though up the UN... we should follow the UN's rules...

also.. revenge is dumb. even if it is what people WANT to do... it just makes things WORSE. war for revenge just creates... A BIG WAR. and then people die unnecessarily.

I agree with Lincoln.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast