Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wearing Military Uniform at H/S Graduation--Allowed or Not?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Wearing Military Uniform at H/S Graduation--Allowed or Not?

Advertisements
    I know this was a huge debate on the radio a couple weeks ago and I have been meaning to get your ladies/men's viewpoint on it.

Do you think the school should let students who have attended BCT over the summer or have graduated early and attended BCT to wear their military uniforms instead of their cap and gowns?

Two students, a marine and a national guardsman, refused to walk because they weren't allowed to wear JUST their dress uniforms. Instead they would have to wear their cap and gown over them.

Do you think the school was wrong for not allowing them to wear their uniform? Or do you think the students were in the wrong?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I think they should have been allowed to walk in their dress uniforms. It should be viewed as a bit of a special honor I think if they graduated high school early AND graduated BCT
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    What was the schools reason?

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I dont know.... to me graduation is ALL ABOUT the cap and gown. Let them wear it over their uniform. I know the second we were done with ours, I took my gown off. It was hotter than hell in it!
  5. fridaynightgirl
    I think the students were being stubborn. They could have worn uniforms underneath cap and gown. The regalia is part of the ceremony with a long tradition. Young men (and women) headed for WWII wore regalia as they walked across the stage; not their uniform.
  6. Senior Member
    i think they should wear their cap and gown. its high school graduation and you should be wearing what everyone else in your hs is wearing. some guys think they're cooler because they have uniforms. (which they are ) but it looks cocky in a way...hope that didn't offend anyone..?? sorry.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    What was the schools reason?
    They said it wouldn't be fair to the other students. It would make them look less. Because you're H/S graduation is all about coming to a common close of one point in your life and moving on to the other.

They were graduating H/S not BCT. Therefore, they should wear their cap and gown in respect to the High School's graduation, not BCT.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I agree with the school's tradition.

The military is about tradition and honor. How can these students be expected to follow through with that, when they can't follow in the tradition and honor of the cap and gown?

It's closing one point of your life, and moving on to the next. High School, then Military Service.
  9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillian_Angela View Post
    They said it wouldn't be fair to the other students. It would make them look less. Because you're H/S graduation is all about coming to a common close of one point in your life and moving on to the other.

They were graduating H/S not BCT. Therefore, they should wear their cap and gown in respect to the High School's graduation, not BCT.
    In that case i'm gonna side with the school, they have a point.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fridaynightgirl View Post
    I think the students were being stubborn. They could have worn uniforms underneath cap and gown. The regalia is part of the ceremony with a long tradition. Young men (and women) headed for WWII wore regalia as they walked across the stage; not their uniform.
    Yep. That graduation was just as special for everyone who walked. It would have been unfair for the three military members to stand out.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast