Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What if Obamacain were one of us?

1. Senior Member

What if Obamacain were one of us?

Advertisements
    Obama and McCain's surrogates are running around trying to let you know that the other candidate is not really "one of us". First a little explanation...the one of us is "regular Joes", you know we work the night shift, eat at diners, bowl, yada yada yada. and they want you to know that--pssst....the other guy isn't really one of "us". Now, this is not racist...4 years ago we saw John Kerry windsurfing and we all know regular Joes don't windsurf, we play softball and shoot pool. 16 years ago it was George H.W. Bush and his fascination with a scanning cash register and we all know regular folks are well aware of cash registers.
    Here's the the problem that they don't say. Neither of them are "one of us", at least in the regular Joe scheme of things. How many Hawaiian born black guys (OK, OK, he's half white) who went to an Ivy League School do you know? Zero, most likely. OK, then how many sons and/or grandsons of Navy Admirals who have only had a job in the US congress and married a rich beer distributor do you know? Probably none again. Honestly, I don't care about their regular Joe street creds. In fact, I kind of want them to be "elite". When did "elite" turn into a bad thing? Don't you think that just being one of 80-100 guys to be nominated by a major party for president in the past 221 years is kind of "elite". So both sides can stop playing the "he's not one of us" stuff---until they do work the nightshift, worry about mortgages and gassing up the car, they have no right to even think they're "regular' guys--but that's OK, I don't want a "regular" guy to lead the country. I'd like an extraordinary for that job.
    I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failures to live up to these possibilities.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have to say that I agree with you. I wouldnt want just anyone holding that top spot in our country.
  3. Senior Member
    i agree too.. its a big position to fill
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    While I don't know any half black guys who grew up in Hawaii and have an Ivy League education, there ARE aspects and experiences that I have shared with Barack and can relate to...and I don't underestimate that at all, the ability for a candidate to connect with his constituents on a personal level.

For my husband, Barack's candidacy is nothing short of a miracle, and I've never seen him so engaged in the political process in all the years I've known him. He donates, he wrote a letter to his campaign, and he's actively looking for ways to help out. From his standpoint, Barack is representing the African American Male that is so rarely seen and given attention to--someone like himself, a father, a husband, a professional with a higher education. This is something he would love to take for granted, but unfortunately it just isn't the case, so when he sees a guy who's like him, successful, respected, and beloved, it gives him the warm fuzzies. And yes, hope.

Maybe now people can stop asking him if he got to where he's at professionally due to Affirmative Action.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Maybe now people can stop asking him if he got to where he's at professionally due to Affirmative Action.

Well yeah Cocoa, isn't that the only way 'those people' can get ahead, if we present them with an advantage? <sarc>

argh.

ARGH.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Well yeah Cocoa, isn't that the only way 'those people' can get ahead, if we present them with an advantage? <sarc>

argh.

ARGH.
    LMAO Okay? Allll the way to the Presidency baybee!! Half assing our way allll the way to the Presidency!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
    While I don't know any half black guys who grew up in Hawaii and have an Ivy League education, there ARE aspects and experiences that I have shared with Barack and can relate to...and I don't underestimate that at all, the ability for a candidate to connect with his constituents on a personal level.

For my husband, Barack's candidacy is nothing short of a miracle, and I've never seen him so engaged in the political process in all the years I've known him. He donates, he wrote a letter to his campaign, and he's actively looking for ways to help out. From his standpoint, Barack is representing the African American Male that is so rarely seen and given attention to--someone like himself, a father, a husband, a professional with a higher education. This is something he would love to take for granted, but unfortunately it just isn't the case, so when he sees a guy who's like him, successful, respected, and beloved, it gives him the warm fuzzies. And yes, hope.

Oh, believe me, I understand. I do think it reaches a point where they out grow us, you know. They maay have started at the same level, but now are buying million dollar houses and schmoozing with world leaders. While we hope they don't forget where they came from, we can also hope to reach a higher staus because they did. My post is a bit extreme, but i was trying to make a point.
    I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failures to live up to these possibilities.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
    LMAO Okay? Allll the way to the Presidency baybee!! Half assing our way allll the way to the Presidency!
    And that's my half-assed hope.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the OP, but for my 2 voting cents, since one of them will be working for me, Id like them to know a little about what goes on at my level. Id like them to see what its like to make choices about grocerys or gas, and I would really be surprised if they ever had to make a choice to keep their furnaces at 50 degrees to keep their energy bills down. It would be useful to me, if they had some sort of military experience. but other than that...I could care less if hes a regular joe or not.