Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stereotypes (help me write a paper)

1. Bex
    Banned
    Banned

Stereotypes (help me write a paper)

Advertisements
    So... this is my paper topic

After reading Chapters 4-6 carefully, write a rhetoric and stereotype essay that addresses the following points as they pertain to these groups of people: (1) Politicians, (2) Tattooed Persons, (3) Feminists, (4) Senior Citizens.[/font]
    *Discuss the stereotypes associated with each of these groups.[/font]

*Provide an explanation of whether these groups invoke the same image to all persons, and if the stereotypes are positive, negative, or both.[/font]

*Describe the language and rhetoric that is used to reinforce the stereotype of each group.[/font]
    *Is there some “truth” to stereotypes of these groups (and others, as well)?[/font]
    *End your essay with an in-depth self-appraisal about what you learned about yourself based on Chapter 4-6 and their applicability to stereotypes.[/font]
    *Be sure that your essay includes at least 3 non-textbook references in proper APA format.[/font]
    Now.... what comes to mind when you think about

1) Politicians
    2) Tattooed people
    3) Feminists
    4) Senior Citizens

anddddddddddddddd

DO YOU THINK THERE IS ANY TRUTH TO THE STEREOTYPES?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    1) Politicians = Liars/Mudslingers/Publicists/Fake
    2) Tattooed people = Self expressionist/artsy (Also, people often judge someone's intellect based on how/where they are tattoo'd)
    3) Feminists = no comment ()
    4) Senior Citizens = Wise, often mistreated, underestimated (as in, undercut or belittled, etc)
  3. andrews_wifey

1) Politicians- Liars, people who desire power and cover it up by saying "change"
    2) Tattooed people- artistic, expressionalist(sp?), creative.
    3) Feminists- No comment
    4) Senior Citizens- wise, mistreated, set in their ways.

anddddddddddddddd

DO YOU THINK THERE IS ANY TRUTH TO THE STEREOTYPES? I believe to some extent.

Good luck with your paper, I'd be like "waaa" *looks around confused* LOL...
  4. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    you have the same thoughts as I do
  5. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    I'm posting without reading responses, so I'm sorry if it's redundant.

1) Politicians - Either poor and virtuous or rich and crooked.
    2) Tattooed people - Artistic
    3) Feminists - Noble and maybe a little bitchy
    4) Senior Citizens - Adorable, needy, and worth my time.

Those are my instant gut reactions when I think of those terms.

I think there is truth to all of them. I also think that some of my stereotypes, like about feminists, come from people who stick out in my mind who were extreme one way or the other. So I know it's not a realistic description of feminists in general. It's just the stereotype I developed in college. The professors who I viewed as feminists seemed noble to me, in how they handled things, taught things, gave advice, led by example, etc. The students who were self proclaimed feminists, well, that's where the little bit of bitchy comes from.

As for the other three, that's just from my perception through the media. Though I was close friends with the Governor of Maryland's son in college, and he was neither of those things. Which proves to me that the media, and not my own experiences, sometimes has a larger influence on my thought processes. Not proud of that, but true.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    1) Politicians- fame mongers, looking out for only themselves, liars i imagine there are some that are not like that but they aren't popular.
    2) Tattooed people- people like everyone else, everyone gets tattoos for their own personal reasons.
    3) Feminists- i have no problem with some feminists if they are that way for the right reasons, and then there are the extremists who believe woman are superior and in my mind there is no superior or inferior etc...
    4) Senior Citizens- some are wise people that have a lot of history to share and that they should be respected and like any group of people there are those that are just crazy.

anddddddddddddddd

DO YOU THINK THERE IS ANY TRUTH TO THE STEREOTYPES? there is truth in all stereotypes at one point or another someone did something stupid to get that stereotype put there. just like signs on the road you know someone stupid person tried to blow dry their hair in the bathtub and now we have a sign on every dryer telling us water and electricity do not go together.
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    1. Politicians- Power hungry narcissists who will sacrifice morals (if they have any in the first place) to make money. Liars, cheats, frauds. (Though there are a *few* good ones who genuinely DO care about the greater good... whose mommas raised them right...)

2. People with Tattoos- I'm not sure what the stereotypes are. I don't really have an opinion on tattoos either way. But I personally would never get one done in a visible area.... because I feel like it would have the potential to limit my career opportunities in life. Plus, I'd be afraid of it getting wrinkly & saggy when I'm old

3. Feminists- First image that honestly comes to mind? Hairy armpits and combat boots. Feminists aren't painted in a very nice light in this country. (Of course... I *do* know better than to seriously be that narrowminded).

4. Senior Citizens- Honestly, I love love LOVE old people. I'm not sure I can really answer this one, other than describing the things you observe as a kid.... old people smell weird and wear funny clothes.

As far as stereotypes go.... I think stereotypes are the immediate opinions people form based on their observation of a person (of a certain color/religion/etc), while subconsciously assuming that that person is representative of their entire ______ (insert color/religion/etc)

Certainly these observations that might apply to some or most, are NOT true of ALL persons of a certain sub-culture.

For example... If a woman considers herself a feminist... it does NOT (necessarily) mean that she has bushy armpits and burns bras for fun.

I keep thinking about Chris Rock, and how he explains stereotypes (in a not-so-PC kinda way...)
  8. DutchGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    So... this is my paper topic

1) Politicians
    2) Tattooed people
    3) Feminists
    4) Senior Citizens

anddddddddddddddd

DO YOU THINK THERE IS ANY TRUTH TO THE STEREOTYPES?
    I'd love to respond but I need a little clarification... is the question for us what do WE initially think of those categories, or what we believe the general stereotype to be?

For example, the posters above all mentioned people with tattoos as artistic, but I wouldn't say that's the average "stereotype" for it.
  9. MIA for awhile...
    MIA for awhile...

1) Politicians- Stuck up rich men who are corrupt
    2) Tattooed people- Tough nuts, no ambition, will never have a decent job
    3) Feminists- man haters, lesbians , women that don't shave lol
    4) Senior Citizens- fragile, senile, wrinkly, can be taken advantage of; OR, wise, friendly, great source of pocket money

*I don't think this, but that's what I think they are stereotyped as*

I think stereotypes are stupid- they can be right at times, but sometimes they are so far from the truth, it's unfair to put them in the same catagory.
    Blame your man, not Myspace!!
    Simmy 2009. All rights reserved, copy it and you die.
    Bite me! PLEASE! I want to be a vampire

10. Senior Member
    As far as stereotypes go, this is what I've gathered:

1) Politicians = 'Cut Throat' determined
    2) Tattooed people = depending on the amount/reasoning behind the tattoos, ether trashy, or acceptable. I'm sorry, big biker men with naked mirmaids/strippers up & down their bodies is just disgusting, & 'In memory of" tattoos are more commonly acceptable.
    3) Feminists = annoying, self indulgent, 1/2 way informed, gutsy.
    4) Senior Citizens = underestimated, often mistreated, needy.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast