Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teen Pregnancy

1. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries

Confused Teen Pregnancy

Advertisements
    Why do people always try to "blame" teen pregnancy on people other than the teenagers? I know when i got pg at 16 I had no one to blame but myself.
  2. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Well, my opinion is that in some cases the parents bear some responsibility. It isn't true in all cases, but definitely in some.

1) It is a parents' responsibility to teach about birth control and sex in general. Oftentimes parents leave that education up to the school and peers, which is a recipe for disaster. Sort of like the blind leading the blind, in the case of peers.

2) In some cases the parents aren't keeping very good tabs on what their child is doing. Not that that can always prevent pregnancies, but it can help in some cases.

3) Some parents aren't concerned with having a real relationship with their child and that can leave the child looking for love elsewhere.

3. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    I am just aggravated watching the news and they are covering the teens pact to get preggo and blaming it on movies like knocked up and juno and also on the hollywood baby boom.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    people like to make excuses for the problems they have instead of facing them...
  5. .boricua.
    .boricua.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Sarah*J~*~ View Post
    I am just aggravated watching the news and they are covering the teens pact to get preggo and blaming it on movies like knocked up and juno and also on the hollywood baby boom.
    Oh yeah I saw that and was like... dude, they're all just horny and crazy.

They were talking about a particular school where girls got pregnant on purpose and were celebrating it... Dont know how large the graduating class was but it was 17 girls. Half of them we're participating on some kind of pact to do it.

Honestly, babies are deff the "thing" in Hollywood now... Even young hollywoo id prego ( Ashley Simpson and Brit's 16 y/o sister who I think already gave birth)

With all the media on this... I swear even I have babies on my mind!!! And I still have to wait... But for a teen who has no one (or at least feels that way) Maybe having a little one sounds like a wonderful thing that will make their lives better, meaningful.

I have no idea (totally talking about of my butt).

With just the sex... I do blame some of it on the media/parents.
    Its just too out there in the media and kids aren't stupid. They catch on. And without proper guidance they just jump into it like its not a big deal.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    That aggravates me, too. Although I think it has to do with the girls being minors, so legally they are still under their parents and thus their responsibility. I don't know anyone who would ever do anything because of a movie, but that's just me. There was a pact for 8th grade girls in my hometown a few years ago, but it was only like 5 or 6 girls, so it didn't get any media attention. And shocker... there weren't any pro-pregnancy, especially teen pregnancy, movies out at that time. The core of the issue is still there, people are just ridiculous in thinking it's anything else beyond poor contraceptive use or lack thereof, or a need for attention/love.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneyBug View Post
    Well, my opinion is that in some cases the parents bear some responsibility. It isn't true in all cases, but definitely in some.

1) It is a parents' responsibility to teach about birth control and sex in general. Oftentimes parents leave that education up to the school and peers, which is a recipe for disaster. Sort of like the blind leading the blind, in the case of peers.

2) In some cases the parents aren't keeping very good tabs on what their child is doing. Not that that can always prevent pregnancies, but it can help in some cases.

3) Some parents aren't concerned with having a real relationship with their child and that can leave the child looking for love elsewhere.
    that is how I feel

That is absolutely RIDICULOUS. knocked up and juno make kids get preggo on PURPOSE?

I mean... Juno didn't even WANT the kid.. she clearly said it wasn't good and put the kid up for ADOPTION. and complained about what it feels like to be preggo.

and that seen in knocked up... the birth scene.. the screaming.... and her displeasure in sex.... how could that POSSIBLY make teenagers think it is a good idea to get pregnant. seems like it would turn them off to it.

as for the hollywood baby boom.... people have babies all the time.... if people having babies makes teenagers want to get pregnant on purpose... then no one should ever have babies ever.

I don't understand why people always try to blame hollywood for EVERYTHING.
    the teen pregnancy group doing it on purpose seems more like they have serious self esteem issues and probably a bad home life. I know there are teenagers out there (the younger ones) who think having a baby means having someone who ALWAYS loves you no matter what... because they don't understand yet how a baby behaves.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I just wanted to add that if kids were raised/taught in school to use contraceptives correctly and/or had a strong sense of self-worth, they wouldn't feel influenced by a damn movie to get preggo.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidzy View Post
    That aggravates me, too. Although I think it has to do with the girls being minors, so legally they are still under their parents and thus their responsibility. I don't know anyone who would ever do anything because of a movie, but that's just me. There was a pact for 8th grade girls in my hometown a few years ago, but it was only like 5 or 6 girls, so it didn't get any media attention. And shocker... there weren't any pro-pregnancy, especially teen pregnancy, movies out at that time. The core of the issue is still there, people are just ridiculous in thinking it's anything else beyond poor contraceptive use or lack thereof, or a need for attention/love.
    exactly.
  10. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    I see what you are saying, but if they aren't being taught at home, where do you think they are gathering information from? My thought is peers and media. I think there are a lot of influencing factors, but I don't think it is fair to say either it is all the media's fault, or that they have nothing to do with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast