Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Peoples attitudes

  1. Account Closed
    Kaymara's Avatar
    Kaymara is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    27,684
    #1

    Peoples attitudes

    Advertisements
    So...

    Something I have noticed in the last few months....

    When I was heavier (not obese but was considered overweight by BMI standards and such from preggo weight) I would take the kids walking. People might stop and say hi to the kids, comment on how cute they were and that was that.

    Since losing 40lbs and getting back into a size 3, when I go walking, people smile at me, strike up conversations, and just overall seem nicer and more outgoing towards me.

    I was discussing this with a few people who agreed that it seemed when thinner people seemed nicer. Which is sad.

    Do you think this is the case? And why? Is it because I have more self confidence being thinner and hold myself better so more people want to be friendly? Or is it just how I am percieved? Or am I being stupid and not seeing this at all?

    I mean now when I go for walks, I would say 90% of the time people stop me and strike up a conversation. And it isnt just men. I do notice more men willing to help me. Offering to carry my bags and such from the store. But women seem nicer too. Its just weird and kinda sad to me...

    thoughts?
  2. browneyedbeauty's Avatar
    browneyedbeauty is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,376
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaymara View Post
    So...

    Something I have noticed in the last few months....

    When I was heavier (not obese but was considered overweight by BMI standards and such from preggo weight) I would take the kids walking. People might stop and say hi to the kids, comment on how cute they were and that was that.

    Since losing 40lbs and getting back into a size 3, when I go walking, people smile at me, strike up conversations, and just overall seem nicer and more outgoing towards me.

    I was discussing this with a few people who agreed that it seemed when thinner people seemed nicer. Which is sad.

    Do you think this is the case? And why? Is it because I have more self confidence being thinner and hold myself better so more people want to be friendly? Or is it just how I am percieved? Or am I being stupid and not seeing this at all?

    I mean now when I go for walks, I would say 90% of the time people stop me and strike up a conversation. And it isnt just men. I do notice more men willing to help me. Offering to carry my bags and such from the store. But women seem nicer too. Its just weird and kinda sad to me...

    thoughts?
    No one wants to be associated with fat people. So folks avoid them like the plague. Thinner people get treated better.
  3. Banned
    GlitterCrotch's Avatar
    GlitterCrotch is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    18,868
    #3
    I think it has more to do with YOUR self confidence than other peoples' perception of you. Maybe they smiled and waved before but you were too worried why they were looking at you to notice the kindness, or too self conscious to conversate like you do now that you have more self esteem.
  4. Death Before Decaf!!
    Becca's Avatar
    Becca is offline
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Goose Creek, SC
    Posts
    27,295
    Blog Entries
    6
    #4
    As someone who has also dumped alot of weight, I have to agree. At the same time though I know that I personally carry myself differently when thinner, and I'm sure I seem more approachable. I agree that people are nicer, but I don't think it's always entirely their fault.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  5. Account Closed
    Kaymara's Avatar
    Kaymara is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    27,684
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    As someone who has also dumped alot of weight, I have to agree. At the same time though I know that I personally carry myself differently when thinner, and I'm sure I seem more approachable. I agree that people are nicer, but I don't think it's always entirely their fault.
    Yeah I do know I carry myself differently. I also dress differently and take more time on myself. So I am sure that has alot to do with it as well. But I was just curious if that was the only reason (in peoples opinions) and if others noticed it as well.
  6. Banned
    goldilockz's Avatar
    goldilockz is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    25,776
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by browneyedbeauty View Post
    No one wants to be associated with fat people. So folks avoid them like the plague. Thinner people get treated better.
    I do. I don't give a rat's ass what someone looks like on the outside. if I wanna hang out with them, it's because I like them. My BFF is a very large woman and I didn't think twice about asking her to be a bridesmaid. I asked her over my Disney princess cousin. I don't care how the photos turn out, I want Krit in my wedding.
  7. Account Closed
    Kaymara's Avatar
    Kaymara is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    27,684
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by browneyedbeauty View Post
    No one wants to be associated with fat people. So folks avoid them like the plague. Thinner people get treated better.
    I do tho. I have many friends who are considered overweight by medical standards. And they are some of the most gorgeous women I have seen. Inside and out. You could have a wart on the end of your nose, etc and if our personalities meshed then you'd be a friend. I dont care what people look like
  8. browneyedbeauty's Avatar
    browneyedbeauty is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,376
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    I do. I don't give a rat's ass what someone looks like on the outside. if I wanna hang out with them, it's because I like them. My BFF is a very large woman and I didn't think twice about asking her to be a bridesmaid. I asked her over my Disney princess cousin. I don't care how the photos turn out, I want Krit in my wedding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaymara View Post
    I do tho. I have many friends who are considered overweight by medical standards. And they are some of the most gorgeous women I have seen. Inside and out. You could have a wart on the end of your nose, etc and if our personalities meshed then you'd be a friend. I dont care what people look like
    Ok let me rephrase. In my personal experience as someone 5'8" who's weighed 260 at one time; no one wants to be associated with fat people.

    It would be nice if more people were accepting and only cared about inner beauty but the fact is they don't.
  9. Wah Its called life idiot
    Chevy_Gurl's Avatar
    Chevy_Gurl is offline
    Wah Its called life idiot
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where Muddin' is Every Day
    Posts
    31,240
    #9
    I think its more about the your attitude. You are probably more confidant then you were heavier. Your confidence level is apparent to strangers and they draw off it. If you are shy and drawn in then people tend to not want to talk to you. If you are outgoing and smiling and being happy people will talk to you.



  10. .boricua.
    little.lili's Avatar
    little.lili is offline
    .boricua.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,581
    #10
    I think it has more to do with attitude.

    If some one is smiling and being nice... I will smile back and hold the door for them...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •