Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwest Floods vs. Katrina

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Midwest Floods vs. Katrina

Advertisements
    So the Mississippi River is flooding across 6 states.... billions and billions of dollars worth of damage, thousands have lost their homes....

Why is nobody making a big deal out of it like we did when Hurricane Katrina hit?

I don't see anyone holding tele-thon fundraisers.... or any sort of national-level major relief efforts (like the ones during Katrina where workers were sent from almost every state)...

What's the deal, yo?
  2. Senior Member
    I was randomly wondering about that too, yesterday. But i must say, i haven't kept up with everything so then I thought I just missed something.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    That is a very good question.

Maybe because it is happening slowly? Rather than just a huge attack?

I don't know... but I am glad that my family isn't currently affected..... They all live far enough away although my grandma lives about 20 miles from a lake that disappeared because it flooded out completely...
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Katrina devastated a city entirely. Completely destroyed damn near all of it, without much warning. Sure they had evacuation warnings, but the flood didn't "seep" into town, it came roaring in through a breached levee. People were left stranded on their roofs and crammed into the Superdome like cattle.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Katrina also wiped out entire towns in Lower Plaquemines Parish. Buras no longer exists.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    This one is just as bad if not worse. Face it, Billion of $$ will be lost if crops, food prices going to up again because of corn, wheat, oats, barley loss. They counted on those leavy's broke. When a leavy broke it was overnight this all happened. There wasn't much warning. More like when a tornado hit. The only difference is because it was big towns. These are small communities (much more then just a few from Katrina) that are being distroyed. They may not have a big football stadium, hugh party every year, but they are just as important, if not more so, because of their importance to our economy and food supply of the world.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Uh, a big football stadium and huge party every year has nothing to do with anything.
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I think it IS just as devastating, as many of those residents didn't have flood insurance as well...........
  9. Senior Member
    I think everyone had a fair warning. When floods happen, no one is ready for it. There were damns broken here in Wisconsin and we did not get half the rain Iowa did. We had houses just falling into the rivers. These floods have been compared to Katrina but I feel this time people are not waiting for the government to save them and taking care of themselves.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I think it IS just as devastating, as many of those residents didn't have flood insurance as well...........
    Whose fault is that? Honestly.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast