Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Contraceptives in school...

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    condoms fine but anything that is a prescription no
  2. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bailliesbags View Post
    Aren't condoms available for purchase in almost every drugstore across the country?

If you are to embaressed to go in and purchase them, then you really shouldn't be having sex should you?

I think parents actually need to step up and start taking care of their kids and making sure their kids are educated about sex and the consequences. To many parents leave it up to schools and complete strangers to teach their children about important stuff (including my own parents).
    Yes there is, but also, if you 13, 14, or 15, most of the time you don't have a job. So you can't pay for these condoms.

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think Condoms should be left out on a basket in the bulk on a teachers desk.

Pills I'm not sure because in order for those to be given out it's usually expensive. Moreover, it all depends on the girls body.

But If you're using generic too at schools, then it's all good. It works just as good without the stupid name brand on it jacking up the price.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKOSWIFEY View Post
    OK my main issue with BC PILLS is that it does NOT prevent STDs. It is medication and could harm kids, too. It should never be given without parental consent. If it is taken incorrectly, bam! You're pregnant anyway, and by the way you also have the Herp.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Who's to say that children are responsible enough to remember to take a pill each day?
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillian_Angela View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. Who's to say that children are responsible enough to remember to take a pill each day?
    Especially children who are obviously too irresponsible to carry condoms, since hypothetically the school is providing them BC.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAmom4721 View Post
    I think condoms are a great idea!! Pills I am a little more apprehensive about because it is a medication, and that seems like something that someone more qualified should be overseeing. I think information about Planned Parenthood and making kids aware that you can go there and be seen confidentially for birth control (as well as the many other services they offer) would be a good idea too. IMO, more education in general is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    Anything that doesn't require a prescription is okay with me, but I don't think pills should be prescribed through the school.

I do however, think that girls 13 and over should be able to see their docs and be prescribe BC without parental consent. Additionally, all medical info about the girls should be restricted so that it cannot be viewed by the parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Ok, I'll chime in now...

I think condoms should be available everywhere-including schools. I honestly think they should be produced by the government and free of charge-baskets of them just sitting everywhere. On the subway, in the theatres, in the schools, post office, everywhere.

I think school nurses should be able to write a confidential referral for girls to see a doctor without parental consent. If the girl is conscientious enough to see the nurse about contraception before having sex, why deny it to her because dear old mom doesn't think she's old enough? That just screams unwanted babies, to me.
    Yup... I agree
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKOSWIFEY View Post
    Especially children who are obviously too irresponsible to carry condoms, since hypothetically the school is providing them BC.
    Clearly. I blame rap videos, advertisements and the glorification of sex for the increase in sexual behavior.

Or I'll just say the parents have to take on more of a responsibility in their child's life, instead of working 24/7 so you can buy them a Wii and material things. That's not going to get you far at all. A lot of times children who feel emotionally neglected reach out to other children looking for attention or love. Thus in order to get that attention they engage in Sexual Behavior.
    , it's a sad situation when that happens.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    yes they should have condoms at schools and they should have proper sex education. parents should play an active roll in providing them the morals they want their children to follow. it is not the schools responsibility to do that part. school is a place for facts to be distributed. i hate the abstonance stuff, it does not work. i do know that when i was a teen, if you told me not to do it i did everything in my power to do it anyway.

as far as bc pills and sex related health care i think the child should be able to go to the school nurse without fear of their parents knowing and be referred to a dr. the dr should provide care without parents consent. i think a whole lot more teens would get the care they need if they did not have fears or parental reprocussions.

my girls know that i will talk to them about anything, even sex, they come to continuously to discuss how they feel about their friends pregnancies and sex all the time. i am open and honest and non judgemental because i expect my daughters to make informed decisions on thier own and not rely on my decisions for them all the time.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flangl18 View Post
    High schools, no. I don't think any high school has any business in condoning sex or anything else where it is the parents concern. I think they should refer students to a clinic and call the parents, unless there is reason to believe that the parent would be a danger to the child.
    Schools do not have any idea what the medical history of a child is, not to mention age of consent varies from state to state and many high schoolers are not in that age group.
    I don't think anything would make me change my mind.
    Ok so schools shouldn't give out pills. Makes sense.

But do you REALLY believe schools shouldn't offer sex ed?
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Condoms, yes, but anything that requires a prescription, no.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast