Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Grandparents' rights (re: visitation/access)

1. Banned
    Banned

Grandparents' rights (re: visitation/access)

Advertisements
    How do you feel about courts granting grandparents rights to their grandchildren against the parents' wishes? Is it necessary in some situations or not acceptable at all for the courts to intrude on such a personal decision? Should the parents choice be the final say?
  2. I love dress whites!!
    I love dress whites!!
    I personally think it depends on the situation. If the grandparents are crappy people and the parents have good reason, then they shold have every right to keep their children away from them.

Now if the parents have other personal issues and just use the grandkids for leverage then I think a court should be able to help the grandparents see the kids.

Hope that makes some sense.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I think its necessary in some cases. Mi's laws on the subject were pretty narrow. One circumstance where it was allowed was the grandparent had to have ha custody of the child in the last year.

Posted via Mobile Device
  4. who will drive my soul?
    who will drive my soul?
    Quote Originally Posted by wyochick View Post
    I personally think it depends on the situation. If the grandparents are crappy people and the parents have good reason, then they shold have every right to keep their children away from them.

Now if the parents have other personal issues and just use the grandkids for leverage then I think a court should be able to help the grandparents see the kids.

Hope that makes some sense.
    www.acoan.scentsy.us
    www.andreacoan.blogspot.com
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hell no.

My biological mom is a nightmare on two legs, and I choose to let her visit because I'm NICE. If I change my mind, which I will at some point, knowing her record, it will be because she once again proved she cannot be responsible enough for even supervised visits.

No court needs to tell me who can and cannot see my children. Parents have rights, IMO, grandparents don't necessarily. Grandchildren are a privilege, a blessing...not a commmodity like so many grandparents tend to think. You raised your children, now butt out and let them raise theirs, kwim?
  6. Senior Member
    I don't think they should have any rights when it comes down to a step parent adoption and revoking the parental rights of their child..

I don't think they should have rights when it comes to an adoption and both parents are willing..

I dunno about visitation....
  7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    It depends, they are not very enforceable and it is very expensive as well as not a high likely hood that they even get much anyway. When I was younger, my mom's avon lady was suing to see her Grand kids because her daughters husband had twisted everything around that they couldn't see any of the kids period. After much hassle they got 1 day a month and had zero rights to the baby the daughter was pregnant with because she had no prior contact with it.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.