Thread: Oh Lord (literally)

1. fridaynightgirl

Oh Lord (literally)

Advertisements
    Discuss....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080619/..._license_plate

By SEANNA ADCOX, Associated Press Writer
    25 minutes ago

COLUMBIA, S.C. - A group that advocates separation of church and state filed a federal lawsuit Thursday to prevent South Carolina from becoming the first state to create "I Believe" license plates.

The group contends that South Carolina's government is endorsing Christianity by allowing the plates, which would include a cross superimposed on a stained glass window.

Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State filed the lawsuit on behalf of two Christian pastors, a humanist pastor and a rabbi in South Carolina, along with the Hindu American Foundation.

"I do believe these 'I Believe' plates will not see the light of day because the courts, I'm confident, will see through this," said the Rev. Barry Lynn, the group's executive director.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court for South Carolina, asks a judge to stop the state from making the plates and rule that the law allowing them violates the First Amendment.

A spokeswoman said the state Department of Motor Vehicles had not yet received the lawsuit and planned to go ahead with the plates unless told otherwise. The agency plans to unveil the final design and start taking orders by late August.

The bill sailed through the Legislature with little discussion earlier this year. Gov. Mark Sanford let it become law without his signature because the state already allows private groups to create license plates for any cause.

Republican House Speaker Bobby Harrell said residents asked for a way to express their beliefs, and legislators responded.

He disputed Lynn's accusation that they were pandering to constituents in an election year.

"That's what critics always say when they see something they don't like," Harrell said. "I think this has less to do with the First Amendment and more to do with their disdain for religion generally."

Lynn said his group would not have opposed the "I Believe" plates had they been advocated by private groups. State law allows private groups to create specialty plates as long as they first collect either a $4,000 deposit or 400 prepaid orders.

Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer said last week that he is willing to put up the money, then get reimbursed, though the Department of Motor Vehicles spokeswoman said that isn't necessary. Bauer said the idea came from Florida, where a proposal for an "I Believe" tag failed.

He called it a freedom-of-speech issue.

But a Methodist pastor who joined the lawsuit, the retired Rev. Thomas Summers of Columbia, said the plate provokes discrimination.

"I think this license plate really is divisive and creates the type of religious discord I've devoted my life to healing," he said.

Another of the ministers, the Rev. Robert Knight of Charleston, said the plates cheapen the Christian message.

"As an evangelical Christian, I don't think civil religion enhances the Christian religion. It compromises it," Knight said. "That's the fundamental irony. It's very shallow from a Christian standpoint."

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Seriously. Does the state endorse "hawtmma" or "gigem" or any collegiate team plate or any other nose-pickers organization that has a plate? Sheesh.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh geez.

That is beyond ridiculous. Why on earth would any state want to alienate themselves form the rest of the country by doing that?

There should be a separation of church and state...for a REASON. It's not the state's business to tell people what they "believe" in. If I lived there, I would refuse new plates.
  3. Lindsey.
    Lindsey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Oh geez.

That is beyond ridiculous. Why on earth would any state want to alienate themselves form the rest of the country by doing that?

There should be a separation of church and state...for a REASON. It's not the state's business to tell people what they "believe" in. If I lived there, I would refuse new plates.

It should be a personal choice and definitely NOT endorsed by the state.
    There AreNo Words
  4. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    I think this would be one of those plates that you have to request and pay extra for....not the standard state plate. Many organizations have sponsored different specialty plates..... http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/plates/#specialty

If you don't want the 'I Believe' Plate, then don't pay for it!

My little Loves!
  5. fridaynightgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I think this would be one of those plates that you have to request and pay extra for....not the standard state plate. Many organizations have sponsored different specialty plates..... http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/plates/#specialty

If you don't want the 'I Believe' Plate, then don't pay for it!
    Right. That's what I'm saying. I just think it's petty and pointless. Let's just get rid of specialty plates. They are all stupid. I mean, if we can't play nice then we have to take the toy away.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Durrrrr...I can't read

Good point, Ellen.

I retract! I retract!

Good for them, if you want one, buy it!
  7. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a problem with specialty plates.....it's an additional way for the state to bring in revenue to better our roads. I won't pay for a specialty one....I just stick to the standard issued ones.

My little Loves!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I had the prevent child abuse plates in MO. I'm for specialty plates for the same reason.
  9. Not afraid to be lonely, but I still wanna learn about love.
    Not afraid to be lonely, but I still wanna learn about love.
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't pay for it, not because I "don't believe" but because I "don't pay for unnecessary extras".
  10. jarheadsarehot
    Wow. This would make me almost as mad as the Pro-Life licenses plate.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast