Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S/O of a S/O of Angry American... (science vs creationism)

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

S/O of a S/O of Angry American... (science vs creationism)

Advertisements
    We ended up talking about religion vs creationism in a thread. SOOO... questions for you.

1) Should religion should be taught alongside science?

2) Should ALL religions be taught alongside science?

3) Do you think the evolution theory is viable? Why?

4) Do you think that everything was created by God? Why? ("Because the Bible said so" is NOT a viable response )

5) [fill in random opinions]

My thoughts:

1) As an elective? Sure. Most colleges and universities offer a religion class as a humanities; mine was World Religions. In high school? Eh, I'm still on the fence with this one. In most cases, religion is something that PARENTS teach, like how to tie your shoe, how to dress yourself, how to eat like a lady and not a pig.

2) Again, as an elective. World Religions class :]

3) Totally. It's a POTENTIALLY proven theory, one that would knock the socks off Pat Robertson, lol. It's still not fully proven, unlike gravity, which we will prove when we hit old age

4) God? No. Goddess? Yes. I believe she created everything, BUT lead it to become what we are today.

5) I believe that there is SOMETHING up there and IMO, it's distinctly feminine. I mean, women are looked at as creators because of our awesome baby making abilities ( ). I personally think there HAS to be something up there: the scientific odds of this planet existing the way it does are billions to one. Hell, the odds of this planet EXISTING are about that.

So yeah... here you go. Have fun
  2. DutchGirl

4) Do you think that everything was created by God? Why? ("Because the Bible said so" is NOT a viable response )

--------------

1. Yes, but in a generic manner, only to offer alternatives to a handful of theories. As in, I don't think the deity of Christ needs to be debated in Science class but if you are presenting the big bang theory, I don't see anything wrong in teaching that there are some people who think a benevolent being created the universe, and different possibilities of intelligent design.

2. I don't think it is necessary to get in to the nitty gritty of who thinks what, but I think that generic theories that lean toward religion should be presented (see above).

3. Yes, but only to a degree. I believe that God created the universe, but there is undeniable evidence that species have evolved over the years. So, I believe it started with Him and evolution continues from there.

4. (First of all, I'd like to point out that we are supposed to back up why we think God created the universe, but you did not explain why you believe the goddess did. Just keeping you on your toes...)

Yes, I believe that God created the universe. First of all, I believe in God (the Christian God, God of the Bible - just to be clear) for many, many reasons. It's hard to explain and would take much longer to type out than I can right here. I have seen Him do many amazing things in my life, and in the lives of others. I have seen how the church and those in it can support each other and really be a catalyst for change... along with peace and love. I have very undeniably felt the call of God on my life and heart. That being said, I see the world and all the amazing intricacies in it. The beauty, the pain, the complex inner workings of nature and culture. It's almost overwhelming to me at times. I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that it all began with an amoeba and happened to end up this way by chance. Or, that there was some explosion and particles happened to align themselves in such a way to form all of this. I believe that the entire earth is proof that there is Someone with a plan and a purpose for everything. And, since I am a Christian and believe God is behind all things, it is only a natural connection that that Someone is God.

OK, I might have done a bad job at summing up, but it's late and I hope I at least made a little sense.

5. Other thoughts? Nah. I think I typed enough above.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Actually, I did, see the thingy below it

>edit< OH: for being the first to reply, you get a cookie!!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We ended up talking about religion vs creationism in a thread. SOOO... questions for you.

1) Should religion should be taught alongside science? no not unless its college or a church supported schools.

2) Should ALL religions be taught alongside science? again see answer above.

3) Do you think the evolution theory is viable? Why? not necesarrily but i was not here when time began so it could be or it couldn't be, i guess i would have to see proof to even contemplate if it is real or just a theory.

4) Do you think that everything was created by God? Why? ("Because the Bible said so" is NOT a viable response ) no not really sorry because i am not a christian, i believe it came from somewhere but i can't believe in someone snapping their fingers and poof all of creation was just there. i need proof.

i am one of those horrible people that someone writing it down or saying it happened, just is not enough for me i need to see, taste, smell or feel the evidence to believe it. i hope that makes sense.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  5. DutchGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBit84 View Post
    Actually, I did, see the thingy below it

>edit< OH: for being the first to reply, you get a cookie!!
    Hehe... I kind of figured that, I did read it. I suppose #5 should more be lumped in with #4.

Yay, cookie!!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    True, but it was an entire opinion in itself ^_^;;

I have cookie dough still :3
  7. DutchGirl
    Is it chocolate chip?? Because then I will take just the dough, no cooking required.
  8. Banned
    Banned

My thoughts:

1) If you are asking if they should be taught in a science class then no. It should have no part in any science class other than at most a couple of paragraphs about creationism. Unless like mentioned before it's a private school/college.

2) I still don't understand what religion has to do with science.

3) I don't even understand how people don't believe in Evolution. Obviously with the amount of research that has been done and that accumulation of facts we know how species adapt over time.

4) I personally don't think anyone should have to justify their beliefs. I am open to a lot of things but I would never even attempt to say any belief I may have is absolute. It's a belief and I'd be silly to try to proove anything especially if citing any holy book is not allowed
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

No. religion and science are NOT the same. I think religion in general should be taught in a religions class.... good for history, perspective on other beliefs and all that... but I don't think it should be in a SCIENCE class.

I feel everyone should have a basic understanding of ALL religions... but like I said in #1... they should not be taught with science. they should be taught in their own class.

I think the theory has a lot of great points. I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but what I do know makes a lot of sense. I still think it is a theory though and wouldn't preach it as the truth, same as with the any creation theory.

I don't know what I think about this. I have no clue who or what created anything. I don't know if some God created the very beginning and everything evolved... I don't know if there was just a big bang... I don't know if some God created everything as it appears now. I simply don't know.

I don't belong to any religion and I don't have any set of beliefs as far as creation, where we go when we die, who created everything (boy girl animal group of beings.... ) I am more likely to just hug a tree and thank the sun for being warm and not blinding me today. I am happy with that. Unlike MANY people... I don't feel the need to know who created everything... I don't need to know what happens when I die. I am content just living the best I can right now and hoping that the best will continue to happen to me when I die. be it nothing, heaven, reincarnation... whatever.
    The best I can say I believe in is that SOMETHING created everything and that so long as we ARE good, we GET good. That is how I live.
  10. Senior Member

No, they are 2 seperate things, religion is a philosophy.

No, put 5 christians in a room and they can't agree as to what exactly the bible means. Seperation of church and state, schools are state run and there should be no religion forced upon the kids.

Yes, we see it every day, in the micro. We haven't been studying it long enough to see the macro, but we see incomplete fossils of it. There have been observed cases of speciation, that in itself is proof.

No, I see no proof of god. God seems to be the one thing no one can prove. I am supposed to prove evolution beyond a shadow of doubt, but all creationists have is the bible, written, translated and censored by man. The burdon of proof is to prove a positive, I don't have to prove a negative. Also, it is fallacious to say that if one can't be proven, the other must be true, as if there are only 2 possibilities. There could be dozens we don't even know about.

5) I have given all mine. It is almost to the point I don't want to debate this anymore. The task set forth by creationists is unfair, they expect evolutionists to have fossil records from the beginning of time, showing the progression of species, like it is realistic that each offspring died upon it's mother and that no fossils would be destroyed by natural events (earthquake, fire, etc). Their only proof is the bible, which to me has no place in debate.
    I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failures to live up to these possibilities.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast