Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faith healing

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Faith healing

Advertisements
    headline from today: Teen from faith healing family dies at Ore. home

GLADSTONE, Ore. A 16-year-old boy whose parents rely on prayer instead of medical care has died following an illness marked by stomach pains and shortness of breath, authorities said.

Officers and a deputy medical examiner were called to the family's house about an hour after the boy's death late Tuesday afternoon, said Sgt. Lynne Benton of the Gladstone Police Department. Gladstone is located south of Portland.

Benton said the boy was surrounded by family when he died and a board member of the Followers of Christ church contacted the authorities.

The boy got sick about a week ago and like all members of the religious order did not receive medical attention. His condition worsened Sunday and members of the church gathered for prayer, Benton said.

An autopsy is planned.

In March, the boy's 15-month-old cousin, Ava Worthington, died at home from bronchial pneumonia and a blood infection. Her parents, Carl and Raylene Worthington, also failed to contact a doctor and are awaiting trial on criminal charges in her death.

No arrests have been made in the latest case, but the information will be forwarded to the Clackamas County District Attorney's Office for review, Benton said.

Oregon lawmakers passed new laws striking down legal shields for faith healing parents after several children from the Followers of Christ church died in the 1990s.

The Oregon City church is not associated with a mainstream denomination.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...prayer18m.html

what do you think? should the family be charged or is it ok because it's part of their religion? is it an ok choice for them to make for themselves but not for their children? if you think it's okay because it's part of their religion, how does faith healing compare to polygamy? discuss.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I see it as wrong. It's cruel to let someone die from an infection like that. It's painful and inhumane. If an adult wants to die like that so be it. But I don't care what your belief is, if in the end it causes harm (physical or mental) or death to minor, you should have to face the consequences.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I see it as wrong. It's cruel to let someone die from an infection like that. It's painful and inhumane. If an adult wants to die like that so be it. But I don't care what your belief is, if in the end it causes harm (physical or mental) or death to minor, you should have to face the consequences.
    i agree with you. if they want to make that decision for themselves, while i feel it's an absolutely wrong decision, you can't protect people from themselves. making that decision for kids tho is a whole different story...it's essentially neglect.
  4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I agree. I think it is inhumane and irresponsible and if people want to refuse treatment for themselves as adults they have that right but IMO parents have a responsibility to their children to use whatever means are available to keep them as healthy as they can until those children are old enough to make their own medical decisions.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If one of the Followers ASKED my opinion, I'd tell him/her that they were screwed up to let their kid died. If YOU want to do it, go right ahead. If you're going to subject your children to it, you're going to kill off your progeny. No progeny= no passing on your religion...
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Its a hard question. You are basically challenging their religious beliefs. What about the parents who object to giving their children vaccinations because of religious beliefs?
    What about parents who believe in alternative medicine for their children out of religious beliefs? or just belief that some medicines are just as dangerous?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    Its a hard question. You are basically challenging their religious beliefs. What about the parents who object to giving their children vaccinations because of religious beliefs?
    What about parents who believe in alternative medicine for their children out of religious beliefs? or just belief that some medicines are just as dangerous?
    vaxes are choice... while I dont agree with it, it's a choice. not getting medical attention for a severe infection is neglect and abuse, plain and simple.
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    SO AWFUL!!!! I wonder if he was sickened by tomatoes?!
  9. Senior Member
    It was the 16 year old choice. In Oregon, any person over 14 can make their own health/medical decisions. With that said, it is sad but who I am to judge?
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    This reminds me of a great joke.....

A man was lost at sea with no boat or life preserver. A boat comes by and the captain offers to save him. The man replies "No, God will save me, I prayed and I am sure of it." The captain shrugs and the boat leaves. Another boat comes, and this captain offers to help and again the man replies "No thank you, I have prayed and God will save my life." The captain shrugs and leaves. A third boat comes, and the same thing happens.
    The man drowns, and goes to heaven. He meets God and asks "God, I prayed to you for my life, I have always done what you taught... why did you let me die?" God replies

"I sent you three boats, you chose not to accept my help."

That is what I think of this situation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast