Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising taxes on import and exports

1. Loving my soldier since '96
    Loving my soldier since '96

Raising taxes on import and exports

Advertisements
    What are your thoughst on raising taxes on imports and exports to help protect the little guy. Its thought by some that if we raise taxes on imports and exports that people will be less willing to take businesses overseas.
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
  2. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    Maybe we will start using more American stuff!!!

My little Loves!
  3. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    I'm all for it!!!

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I am soooooooo for it.

My dad works in the import/export industry (on the docks).... and TONS of shit is imported for Wal-Mart.

Well, a few of the containers were damaged on a particular ship... so they lock them up in a yard while they're waiting for the insurance companies to come do their inspection.

And my dad just happened to take a look at the attached paperwork.....

They pack those containers FULL.... and only count a fraction of it on the paperwork. So basically, they declare 100 big-screens to Customs.... when really the container has more like 300 big-screens.

Pretty cool, huh?

I hate Wal-Mart. I'm ALL for raising the taxes.
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Love it!
    Start raising taxes on the people who actually can pay the damned hikes.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm for it!!! Charge more for the overseas stuff and keep buying good ol' USA.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    I'm for it!!! Charge more for the overseas stuff and keep buying good ol' USA.
    Okay, let me play devil's advocate:

What is made in the USA? Are you differentiating between "Made in the USA," "Manufactured in the USA," "Assembled in the USA," "Final assembly in the USA," "Made fro US parts," and things like that?
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I am not really for it or against it, although really, with the economy the way it is I don't want to pay even more for stuff.

I just want to point out that tariffs are not a very capitalist idea. I thought we were a capitalist nation?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Okay, let me play devil's advocate:

What is made in the USA? Are you differentiating between "Made in the USA," "Manufactured in the USA," "Assembled in the USA," "Final assembly in the USA," "Made fro US parts," and things like that?
    I totally agree with this. I went through a huge "buy American" campaign of my own last year but quickly realized that almost all of the stuff I buy still has pieces and parts from all over the world. Buying 100% American has almost been made next to impossible these days.

Also American goods will IMO always be more even if they added extra taxes to imported goods. That's what tends to happen when the workers making the products here in the US need to be paid the income levels it takes to survive here in our economy.
  10. Loving my soldier since '96
    Loving my soldier since '96
    maybe with higher taxes companies wouldn't run so fast to cheaper labor
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast