Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Does freedom of speech always apply?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, without restriction

12 44.44%
  • No, hate speech should be restricted

3 11.11%
  • No, there should be other restrictions (what?)

9 33.33%
  • Undecided

3 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freedom of speech

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Freedom of speech

Advertisements
    Does it always apply and to everyone? Or are there instances when freedom of speech should not apply?
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Applies to everyone, no matter how idiotic.
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

The only restriction I would ever be comfortable seeing as far as speech goes is yelling fire in a crowded theater... Speech that you know will incite violence or cause harm to someone. Otherwise, people are free to be as douchy as they want to be as far as I am concerned.
  4. Senior Member

The only restriction I would place on it, would be when saying something puts people in immediate danger, like crying fire in a crowded theater. (Or crying Terrorist in the Middle East theater, as Bush did.)
    /* no comment */
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    The only restriction I would ever be comfortable seeing as far as speech goes is yelling fire in a crowded theater... Speech that you know will incite violence or cause harm to someone. Otherwise, people are free to be as douchy as they want to be as far as I am concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghedi View Post
    The only restriction I would place on it, would be when saying something puts people in immediate danger, like crying fire in a crowded theater. (Or crying Terrorist in the Middle East theater, as Bush did.)
    Did you two talk about your answer before posting? But I completely agree with both those answers.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by germanchick View Post
    Did you two talk about your answer before posting? But I completely agree with both those answers.
    Nope, but we've debated with each other before, a couple of years ago.
    /* no comment */
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Without restriction.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Those that voted there should be restrictions, what do you think those should be?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by germanchick View Post
    Does it always apply and to everyone? Or are there instances when freedom of speech should not apply?
    "Freedom of speech" doesn't mean you get to say anything, anywhere, at anytime, to anyone. Freedom of speech as defined in the US Constitution applies only to the public arena.

For example- we don't have freedom of speech here: there are Terms of Service, that we agree to by using the site.

Having Freedom of Speech doesn't allow one to shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, and for good reason. That free speech endangers people.

Freedom of speech doesn't apply to private organizations. For example, you can't just set up a stand outside WalMart and start squawking about tax rates in your municipality.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghedi View Post

You have the right to express yourself but not at the risk of other people
    [/URL]
    You're My Wife Select. You've been approved for the position you just have to go through the ceremony
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast