Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: global warming

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Help global warming

Advertisements
    what does this quote mean to you when applied to the issue of environmentalism?

"it is difficutl to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understand it" Upton Sinclair

im doing a project for my sociology class and it all has to do with the movie climate control. its very interesting, but we are suppose to answer the questions with an open mind and no emmotions involved, so i want to hear what you have to say
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I don't know if understand is the way I see it, but getting someone to live by something if they can't afford it would definitely. I know that it is harder to be healthy when you are poor because processed food is cheaper, and until more environmentally beneficial products are more widely available and affordable it will be the same for the environment. The tides are starting to change on those though with the cost of organic food going down (well relatively speaking since the cost of almost all food is going up because of gas prices) and more companies offering affordable environmentally safe products.

There is another way that could be translated too... If someone makes more money destroying the environment than helping, a lot of people will choose careers that make the money instead of careers that help the planet. That is apparent by things like corporations making the choice to pollute at the risk of being fined rather than spend more money to clean up after themselves because the fine is cheaper than the cost of cleaning up themselves.
  4. JoRose83
    You cant motivate someone to do something (invest in clean energy ect.) when it makes no financial sence. We as americans have been "trained" to see things one way, and it is hard to change the view point of the multitudes when it hurts the pocket book.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by settles View Post
    what does this quote mean to you when applied to the issue of environmentalism?

"it is difficutl to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understand it" Upton Sinclair

im doing a project for my sociology class and it all has to do with the movie climate control. its very interesting, but we are suppose to answer the questions with an open mind and no emmotions involved, so i want to hear what you have to say

A man whose source of income to support himself and his family is the salary he gets for pulling the switch on the electric chair, isn't likely to understand why people would argue against the death penalty.

A man who makes his living growing cattle and selling them for food isn't likely to understand why people want to be vegetarians.

A man who makes millions through the increasing profits of Big Oil isn't likely to understand why a society would search for alternative energy sources.

A man who supports his family by shipping tons of trash by barge from New York to Virginia isn't likely to support a local Virginia initiative to reduce the amount of trash that VA accepts from out of state.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I think what this quote means is that if a person is more focused on providing food and shelter for the family, they don't have time to actively pursue something else.

I know if I had to provide for my family on minimum wage, I wouldn't have time to lobby Washington on environmental issues.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I agree with all of the above.

It's sad but true-being kind to the earth is too expensive for the average american, big companies who mass manufacture crap products cheaply have made it that way, and all of us being lazy an dbuying those products has allowed the trend to worsen.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    I agree with all of the above.

It's sad but true-being kind to the earth is too expensive for the average american, big companies who mass manufacture crap products cheaply have made it that way, and all of us being lazy an dbuying those products has allowed the trend to worsen.
    I agree, too.
    It's hard to buy organic milk when it's $8.20 a gallon. That's how much it is at my commissary. I like the organic milk, it tastes better but dayum I can't afford it all the time.