Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Purple hearts for mental illness?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

6 8.57%
  • no

58 82.86%
  • other

6 8.57%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purple heart for mental illness?

1. JoRose83
    Advertisements
    I believe that this would significantly lower the value of the purple heart. It is ment for men and women who have been severly injured or even killed in battle. My husband has PTSD, and I know how serious this is. Imagine though the loved ones of those we have lost and how they would feel if we "compared" the loss of life to the effects of PTSD...KWIM?
  2. Senior Member
    No..

DH would never wear one, he'd be to embarrassed..
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by JoRose83 View Post
    I believe that this would significantly lower the value of the purple heart. It is ment for men and women who have been severly injured or even killed in battle. My husband has PTSD, and I know how serious this is. Imagine though the loved ones of those we have lost and how they would feel if we "compared" the loss of life to the effects of PTSD...KWIM?
    Well, on the other side of the coin, I have seen many many wives of men with severe PTSD say that their husbands came back different men and they had to "mourn" the loss of the husband they knew because he was gone forever and they were married to someone they didn't even know.

I don't see how honoring the sacrifices of one service member could possibly devalue the sacrifices of another. What makes one sacrifice worth more than another? None of the people who serve get to choose what sacrifice they end up making; be it PTSD, physical injury, or death.

I guess I don't understand that line of thinking. Of course, it doesn't really matter if I do or not. I am not the one making the decisions!
  4. JoRose83
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Well, on the other side of the coin, I have seen many many wives of men with severe PTSD say that their husbands came back different men and they had to "mourn" the loss of the husband they knew because he was gone forever and they were married to someone they didn't even know.

I don't see how honoring the sacrifices of one service member could possibly devalue the sacrifices of another. What makes one sacrifice worth more than another? None of the people who serve get to choose what sacrifice they end up making; be it PTSD, physical injury, or death.

I guess I don't understand that line of thinking. Of course, it doesn't really matter if I do or not. I am not the one making the decisions!
    I totally know what you mean...my husband has changed, and I know that I will never have the man back that I once had....but I still have him. I can still hold him and look into his eyes. I do believe that time can heal the wounds of PTSD, but time will never briung someone back that was killed in battle.

I totally agree that they should be honored for their sacrifices, but I know that if I had lost my husband in battle and received a purple heart on his behalf, I would be hurt to find out that they were giving them out to people that wer not physically injured.

Just my thoughts....
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    you know, I think it really depends on the severity and if it's something that can be overcome, or if it's permanent long lasting damage. Really it depends on each case and each person, in my opinion
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by JoRose83 View Post
    I totally know what you mean...my husband has changed, and I know that I will never have the man back that I once had....but I still have him. I can still hold him and look into his eyes. I do believe that time can heal the wounds of PTSD, but time will never briung someone back that was killed in battle.

I totally agree that they should be honored for their sacrifices, but I know that if I had lost my husband in battle and received a purple heart on his behalf, I would be hurt to find out that they were giving them out to people that wer not physically injured.

Just my thoughts....
    Okay yeah, I guess I can understand that. I personally think that being mentally injured is just as bad (if not worse) than being physically injured. There are a lot of physical injuries that you can get over. You can never escape your own head, KWIM?

Man, I am glad that I am not the one who would have to make this decision. What a toughie.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    dependng on the level of mental distress i think they should be awarded for those who are severely harmed. and injury is an injury regaurdless of weather or not u can see it.
  8. JoRose83
    Okay yeah, I guess I can understand that. I personally think that being mentally injured is just as bad (if not worse) than being physically injured. There are a lot of physical injuries that you can get over. You can never escape your own head, KWIM?

Man, I am glad that I am not the one who would have to make this decision. What a toughie.
    I agree with you 100%!!!!!

I am glad that I do not have to choose who to honor and who not to....If it was my choice, they would all get something for their sacrifice and time!!!!!
  9. Senior Member
    DH has a low opinion of his CIB.. He doesn't think it means anything because everyone on his FOB got one.. The CSM was walking to chow one day, and a mortar hit the post office by him.. CSM didn't have a CIB, and thought that he deserved one for being so close to the hit..

So since he got one, everyone who was between him and the hit got one too.

DH got his on a convoy mission, but to him it devalued it because people eating chow who never went outside the wire their whole deployment got one as well..
  10. Senior Member
    I have a lot to say about this, so bear with me. It's taken me a while to gather my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Callie View Post
    I read somewhere recently that the Pentagon has been thinking of perhaps awarding purple hearts for mental illness. What do you think of this? Do you think that by doing this that the value of the purple heart will go down? Do you think that it should be done?
    No, I don't believe that it should be done, and that it would devalue the purple heart.

Quote Originally Posted by RunAwayLove View Post
    i think a new medal of honor type thing should be made for mental illness...i think im not sure i guess
    I don't think a new medal should be issued for PTSD because just the fact that they have it is embarrassing for most who have it. Why would they want to announce the fact to the public every day on their uniform?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
    I think that recieving a purple heart for PTSD or the like isn't what the purple heart is for.

I think that A) there should be A LOT MORE HELP for those who have PTSD or the like and B) there should be a special medal just for them. At first thought for that, I thought it was silly to recieve ANY kind of medal for PTSD... but thinking about it... those people are hurt too, and just as much even if it isn't physical and they deserve the recognition for being hurt in combat.

but I would much prefer see choice A over choice B.... if only one has to happen.. it NEEDS to be A.
    AMEN to the bolded

Quote Originally Posted by Britt View Post
    My husband would never accept a Purple Heart for his PTSD. He'd be mortified if someone suggested it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    No..

DH would never wear one, he'd be to embarrassed..
    Same here

Yeah there would definitely have to be guidelines in place. People who would fake it for a purple heart would devalue it no question. I just think about those Vietnam vets who are still suffering from night terrors and extreme anxiety and flash backs from the war and think that the very LEAST they deserve is a purple heart. Of course, ideally, mental health treatment would be the best thing they could get.
    I know many Vietnam vets with PTSD and not one of them would wear a medal announcing the fact that they have PTSD.

Quote Originally Posted by wife-n-mommy View Post
    you know, I think it really depends on the severity and if it's something that can be overcome, or if it's permanent long lasting damage. Really it depends on each case and each person, in my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Skamakazi View Post
    dependng on the level of mental distress i think they should be awarded for those who are severely harmed. and injury is an injury regaurdless of weather or not u can see it.
    My husband is 100% totally and permanently disabled due to his PTSD. He cannot work due to it, so give him an award to acknowledge the fact that he's "fucked up in the head" (his words not mine) would mortify him.

For all of those who stated that more and better mental health care is needed, amen to you. I know of not one person who is proud enough of the fact that they have PTSD that they would wear a medal acknowledging it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast