Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wouldn't hesitate before helping the person

38 92.68%
  • I would mind my own business and call the cops

3 7.32%
  • I wouldn't do anything

0 0%
  • I have been a "good samaritan" (tell the story!)

8 19.51%
  • I have witnessed something like that, and didn't do anything.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spin-off of 78-year-old man hit by car & no one helps....

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Spin-off of 78-year-old man hit by car & no one helps....

Advertisements
    Just curious how people honestly would, and how people have acted when witnessing something bad happening to a complete stranger.

Wait for the poll, then I'll post my thoughts......

EDIT: There wasn't enough room in the poll for the question, so here it is.

If you witnessed something bad happen to a complete stranger.... and if it was safe (ie: your life wouldn't be threatened for intervening, you didn't have your little kids with you, etc...).... would you honestly go out of your way to help them?

PLEASE be honest... the poll is anonymous.

Edit again: Examples could be- witnessing a hit and run, seeing someone being harrassed, seeing someone having a heart attack/stroke/etc....
  2. Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Blog Entries
    I haven't witnessed a situation like that but there is no doubt in my mind that if I did that I would immediately help the person. It might sound too much like bragging but people have told me before that in an emergency they'd want me to be around because I keep my head and take action quickly. Also, someone helped me out when I had a bad bicycle accident as a kid so I would like to think I'd do the same thing for someone else.
  3. Senior Member
    The only truly bad thing that I have ever witnessed (thankfully) was this:
    It was terrible weather, it had been raining for hours and there were huge puddles of water on the roads. Most people take this into consideration while driving and slow down. One car in front of us did not. He ended up hitting a puddle which launched his car into the air. It landed upside down, it was one of the worst things I have ever witnessed. We stopped and called 911 immediately. We tried to find out if we was alright but you couldn't even see inside the car. It was only myself and my mother and we couldn't physically do anything. The ambulance got there fast and took him to the hospital. I never knew what happened after that.

I would absolutely help someone if I were able to. At the very least I would call 911. I love the good samaritan law here in Germany because it states that you must do everything possible to help the person (call authorities, give first aid). It is considered an offense if you don't.

ETA: My dad's life was saved because a stranger witnessed him having a heart attack and personally drove him to the nearest fire station. He would have died otherwise. That is another reason I will always try to do whatever possible to help.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Man, sorry, my grammar sucks tonight... I hope the OP made sense....

But here are my thoughts. I've been thinking about this a lot lately after something I experienced last week.... and then especially after reading the article about the elderly man that was injured in a hit-and-run.

Last weekend I was in the bar of a restaurant eating dinner with my DB. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed this drunk bastard harrassing the waitress. So I kinda watched a little more, and noticed that he was making all kinds of rude, derogatory statements towards the girl.

Finally the guy grabbed her arm and asked if she'd "go with him." She jerked away from him, and said she was gonna go get their receipt. It was obvious that the girl was upset....

But NOBODY in the restaurant said or did anything.

So the next time our waitress went over... I discreetly pulled her aside and explained what happened... and that the girl looked really upset (we could see a huge red mark on her arm all the way across the room).... and asked her to please see if the girl was ok... and to let the management know that we wanted to file some sort of complaint against the guy.

She took immediate action... notifying the bartenders to cut the guy off.... and then went straight to the management and had them remove the guy from the restaurant.

In all honesty, I felt like beating the guy over the head with my purse.... but I'm barely 5' tall.... and he was probably 6'4, close to 300lbs.... so I felt it was probably a better idea to let the management take care of it. My boyfriend was livid as well... I've never seen him so angry. Fortunately, he's smart enough to not pick on stupid drunk bastards either.

The whole thing just made me sick to my stomach... that THAT many people would sit around and watch.... but not say or do anything.

I couldn't keep my mouth shut.
  5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

HELL YEAH I would have helped! I have had to call 9-1-1 more than once in my life and I never hesitated for a second. Just watching that video gave me the extremely strong urge to run up to the guy and start screaming for someone to call 9-1-1. I am in complete SHOCK that people just stood there and watched and did nothing. I am sooooooooo angry about it still.
    Last edited by Twinderella; 06-06-2008 at 09:08 PM.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Oh, thought of another one.

When I was in high school, I was riding the bus home with the team after a football game (I used to help the trainer)....

We witnessed a hit & run.... some asshole cut us off to make a turn... and plowed over a little tiny boy riding his bicycle across the street in front of his parents, who were walking. They TOTALLY had the right-of-way.

So, I screamed... bus driver pulled over.... the trainer and coaches got off the bus to stabilize the kid and make sure he was ok till the ambulance arrived (I would've helped in a heartbeat... except they wouldn't let us off the bus)

What a horrible thing to see though.... I can't believe someone would hit a CHILD and keep on driving.
  7. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    That was totally messed up, I had no idea he was an elderly man neither. From what I hear he is paralyzed now.
  8. Senior Member
    I would help. No doubt about it.
    There would be no reason for me not to
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by SoldiersWifey25 View Post
    That was totally messed up, I had no idea he was an elderly man neither. From what I hear he is paralyzed now.
    how awful
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    My Mother and I had this discussion tonight. I would call 911, but I would not actually touch the person. Who knows what sort of contagious disease that person may have?! And in this age of litigation, I do not trust our good samaritan protections. I have a family to look after. I need to protect myself so that I am able to protect them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast