Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supporting Gee Dubya because he's the CIC...

1. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries

Supporting Gee Dubya because he's the CIC...

Advertisements
    There was a time in my life when I supported the commander in chief just because he was the commander in chief. That would have been back in the day when he was MY boss. When I got out of the service I was still stuck on supporting him merely because he was the commander in chief, and it's just what I always did - such a travesty to ever think otherwise. And then it dawned on me one day years later...the commander in chief is my husbands boss. What the hell does that have to do with ME and MY feelings? Why should I have to support my husbands boss in everything he does and says, just because he's the boss? That's the day I fell out of what I consider to be my own personal fog. I haven't supported the man or his decisions since.

So after that little "Aha!" moment, I'm wondering if any of you in the "support him because he's the CIC" mentality can actually articulate for me just exactly how that thought process makes any sense at all.

I'm being serious.

Anyone?

"Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  2. Senior Member
    This I think falls into the whole "If you don't support our President then you don't support our troops" discussion. I do not support our President at all and I think we as Americans are lucky that we live in a country where we CAN have an opinion about our CIC and can express it openly. Does it make me sad that I do not like and support our President in any way? Yes, I would like a Leader that I can look up to which is why I'm hoping for a big change this November. I totally understand where you are coming from and from the get-go I have said that I will support the troops until the day I die but that doesn't mean I have to support their boss.
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I am curious, too, actually. It has never made sense to me. Maybe someone here can shed some light so I am not so confused.
  4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

I was pretty much in the same boat as you.. and had the same "Aha" moment. I can't really explain it any further than you did though
  5. Senior Member
    Hmm... for me... I respect the position, I respect him because he's in the position and he got voted into it.. fairly or not is another story... however... I think you can respect the magnitude of something... and respect the power a person holds even if you've come to think the actual person holding the position is an idiot.

I would never bad-mouth the president, say if I were in a public position, and I COULDN'T if I were in the military or other government job, but I can have my personal opinions and express them behind closed doors, or amongst friends.

I dunno I guess it's a fine line. I was trying to explain this a few years ago to a friend of mine from another country, who couldn't understand why people in this country say "I don't like particularly what is going on right now, but so and so is our president, and he deserves some respect for that"

But what he failed to see was that it's the position that is respected, and not always the person, or the decisions that person makes.
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by USMCSGTsGirl1239 View Post
    Hmm... for me... I respect the position, I respect him because he's in the position and he got voted into it.. fairly or not is another story... however... I think you can respect the magnitude of something... and respect the power a person holds even if you've come to think the actual person holding the position is an idiot.

I would never bad-mouth the president, say if I were in a public position, and I COULDN'T if I were in the military or other government job, but I can have my personal opinions and express them behind closed doors, or amongst friends.

I dunno I guess it's a fine line. I was trying to explain this a few years ago to a friend of mine from another country, who couldn't understand why people in this country say "I don't like particularly what is going on right now, but so and so is our president, and he deserves some respect for that"

But what he failed to see was that it's the position that is respected, and not always the person, or the decisions that person makes.

I very much agree with what you said
  7. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    So then is it safe to conclude that what you're saying is - you think he deserves your respect because he has power?

That's scary.
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I respect the position of CinC... In fact I respect it so much that I think that because GW is making a mockery of it and abusing the power he should be removed from office.
  9. Senior Member
    Sure, how is that scary? I respect Stalin and Hitler because they held amazing positions of power, and were quite intriguing... but that DOES NOT mean I think they were great people who accomplished many things for humanity. Obviously they weren't and didn't, and were VERY flawed individuals.

Just like I respect Bush, because he holds the position of President (who by the way, does not have ALL the power...) but I still think he's an idiot, who's run our country into the ground domestically and internationally.. I am ashamed I voted for him, and I think I'd be happier if Donald Duck and Big Bird were running our country, but that's beside the point.

There is a difference. It's not because HE is the president, it's because WE as a people voted him into the PRESIDENCY which is an incredibly hard job... and the PRESIDENCY is worth a lot of respect even if G.W. is not.

Whether we like it or not, he is in a position, and doing a job that 99.9% of us could never do and would never want to or be able to do. So, I don't agree with him, I can't wait til he's out... but we put him there, he had what it takes, connections or otherwise to get there... and we have to make the best of it.
  10. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCSGTsGirl1239 View Post
    Sure, how is that scary? I respect Stalin and Hitler because they held amazing positions of power, and were quite intriguing... but that DOES NOT mean I think they were great people who accomplished many things for humanity. Obviously they weren't and didn't, and were VERY flawed individuals.

Just like I respect Bush, because he holds the position of President (who by the way, does not have ALL the power...) but I still think he's an idiot, who's run our country into the ground domestically and internationally.. I am ashamed I voted for him, and I think I'd be happier if Donald Duck and Big Bird were running our country, but that's beside the point.

There is a difference. It's not because HE is the president, it's because WE as a people voted him into the PRESIDENCY which is an incredibly hard job... and the PRESIDENCY is worth a lot of respect even if G.W. is not.

Whether we like it or not, he is in a position, and doing a job that 99.9% of us could never do and would never want to or be able to do. So, I don't agree with him, I can't wait til he's out... but we put him there, he had what it takes, connections or otherwise to get there... and we have to make the best of it.
    I just think it's scary to give someone respect merely because they are powerful.

Also - I could never say, about anyone, "I respect him but I think he's an idiot."

So I think the issue right now is that YOU are speaking of respecting the position of president, I'm speaking of respecting the person HOLDING the position. In the Bush thread people said they respected him because he's the CIC. Doesn't make sense to me. In this case you seem to be saying "I respect the position he holds" , not " I respect the man holding the position".

I think I understand where you're coming from.

I was posing this question more to the ladies that said they respected HIM because is commander in chief.

It makes sense that I would respect the position of president - because it is so awesome (awesome as in awe inspiring, not "cool"). So then I guess I should ask myself - how can I respect the presidency without respecting the president himself.

I think it's the concept I respect. It's surely not the man.
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast