Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The economy...

1. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife

Question The economy...

Advertisements
    Do you feel that it's getting harder for the average family to make ends meet? If so what do you think the reason(s) behind it are? Do you think that we will see a reprieve? When?

I have been thinking a lot about this lately and the major contributing factor to me is Fuel and until we utilize alternative forms of energy and embrace new technology I don't see it happening. Heck I saw on the news the other day a company has come up with technology for hybrid vehicles that could have them getting 150mpg.

Opinions on all this please!!!!!!!

ETA: Until car manufacturers embrace the new technology it's not going to be readily available.
  2. Senior Member
    Yes very much so.. I think it's everything going up.. food , gas, electric, gas. etc. I know for DH and I, I will be working until we have children. And might have to work even when we someday have them depending on how much money he makes when he gets out
  3. DutchGirl
    I say yes, it is getting harder for the average family, but that is just a postulation. I'm just a single gal, trying to make a livin'. But for me, it is getting harder. Gas is sky rocketing, food prices are going up and up, and my company at least has no history of giving cost of living increases.

So main factors: price of gas and price of food. Inflation in other areas seems pretty average to me, but those two are out of control.

Personally, I have chosen to forgo driving as much as possible with "cheap" gas being $4.20 near me. The amount of money I have allocated for groceries seems to be not going nearly as far these days... so I am having to scrape together money from other areas. I'm trying to pay off debt at the same time, and never seem to make much headway. I'm hoping to get a promotion later in the year, and have a little more cash at my disposal.
  4. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I bought some fresh stuff,poptarts, juice, shrimp, bagels, cheese, and chicken strips at Winn Dixie today for 120 bucks. I got eli balloons and pickles.I guess my cart was fullish but still damn. I'm gonna quit taking the kids with me. It was 96 bucks to fill the truck.I'm gonna miss target.
    Last edited by mossey2000; 06-05-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: added something.
  5. DutchGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    Do you feel that it's getting harder for the average family to make ends meet? If so what do you think the reason(s) behind it are? Do you think that we will see a reprieve? When?

I have been thinking a lot about this lately and the major contributing factor to me is Fuel and until we utilize alternative forms of energy and embrace new technology I don't see it happening. Heck I saw on the news the other day a company has come up with technology for hybrid vehicles that could have them getting 150mpg.

Opinions on all this please!!!!!!!

ETA: Until car manufacturers embrace the new technology it's not going to be readily available.
    Maybe this is a s/o but I don't see alternative fuels as a lifesaver to our current crisis for various reasons.

1: Some like the thought of using fuels that are dependent on crops (veggie oil and the like) but we can't even keep up with the demand for FOOD let alone supplying enough for vehicles.

2: I think switching over to alternative fuels is a long way off in the distance, and will not be our savior in this very moment. It will take years of research & development, even from now.

3: Hybrids are awesome, but not affordable for many. Go ahead and develop new hybrids - I can't even afford a used Prius. Until the price comes down, they won't help us much.

4: We need to reduce consumption. We flat out drive too much, but I think there are a lot of reasons for that. I live in Los Angeles, and sadly enough the public transit here is severely lacking. There are 2 subway lines, that maybe connect about 1/3 of the city, with very few stops. There are very limited rail lines. The western half of the city has neither of these. We have buses, but they are pricey and with traffic, they can take 5 times as long to get anywhere. I guess you could say I blame a lot of our oil consumption on crappy city planning.

We need more options, and affordable ones, before it gets any better. I may soon be biking 5 miles each way for my work commute... and biking in LA traffic is terrifying. There's another problem - we don't even have bike lanes in about 95% of the city. I don't want to bike when I feel like I am going to die! But I will soon be taking my chances...
  6. Senior Member
    I think that with the cost of absolutely everything going up, it is definitely harder for the average family to make ends meet. I also think that we need to embrace new technology for fuel efficiency/alternative sources, but I think that oil companies have such a monopoly on the market that I don't know if I see it happening before we're really in trouble. Too bad I don't run our country...

6 months down. 6 to go.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchGirl View Post
    Maybe this is a s/o but I don't see alternative fuels as a lifesaver to our current crisis for various reasons.

1: Some like the thought of using fuels that are dependent on crops (veggie oil and the like) but we can't even keep up with the demand for FOOD let alone supplying enough for vehicles.

2: I think switching over to alternative fuels is a long way off in the distance, and will not be our savior in this very moment. It will take years of research & development, even from now.

3: Hybrids are awesome, but not affordable for many. Go ahead and develop new hybrids - I can't even afford a used Prius. Until the price comes down, they won't help us much.

4: We need to reduce consumption. We flat out drive too much, but I think there are a lot of reasons for that. I live in Los Angeles, and sadly enough the public transit here is severely lacking. There are 2 subway lines, that maybe connect about 1/3 of the city, with very few stops. There are very limited rail lines. The western half of the city has neither of these. We have buses, but they are pricey and with traffic, they can take 5 times as long to get anywhere. I guess you could say I blame a lot of our oil consumption on crappy city planning.

We need more options, and affordable ones, before it gets any better. I may soon be biking 5 miles each way for my work commute... and biking in LA traffic is terrifying. There's another problem - we don't even have bike lanes in about 95% of the city. I don't want to bike when I feel like I am going to die! But I will soon be taking my chances...
    I absolutely agree with this too. We don't need just alternative fuel sources, but alternative transportation at reasonable prices.

6 months down. 6 to go.
  8. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Quote Originally Posted by mossey2000 View Post
    I bought some fresh stuff,poptarts, juice, shrimp, bagels, cheese, and chicken strips at Winn Dixie today for 120 bucks. I got eli balloons and pickles.I guess my cart was fullish but still damn. I'm gonna quit taking the kids with me. It was 96 bucks to fill the truck.I'm gonna miss target.
    Ouch! Seriously... try the Grocery Game or at least switch store! WinDixie is way too expensive.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes.

I believe it centers around the gas prices. Gas prices going up causes other stuff to rise in price as well.

We have a set budget and I'm determined to stick to it. Unfortunately, that means us not going out as much as we would like, me putting Breanna on the school bus instead of taking her and picking her up, when we get to our budgeted money for food that is where we are (I've been stretching things like crazy. None of us are going hungry I'm just watching very carefully the portions the kids get and how I can stretch what we have even further and finding meals that don't cost too much to make), and putting the A/C higher than I normally would to cut down on that as well. I've also been trying to stock up on stuff that won't spoil so come this winter (yes I'm already starting ) I'll have a back up supply of stuff. One of John's friends is moving in this week and I won't be surprised if they start working out a carpooling system.
  10. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    The cost of fuel is directly impacting the cost of all our goods because transportation and manufacturing costs have been affected by the fuel price increases. Also companies aren't paying their employees enough to cover cost of living increases or inflation. So yes it's much more difficult for people to live on what they are paid now.

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast