Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet access for inmates?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Internet access for inmates?

Advertisements
    Do you think that inmates should be able to have internet access? How about death row inmates? Do you think that inmates should be able to post personal ads online?

(this is coming from THS Investigates Love Behind Bars on E! I just wondered what you all thought of this)
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Nope, they were put inside prison for a reason (to be isolated from the outside world) allowing internet access is not following through with the rules set in place. How are they suppose to learn they're lesson, I feel for they're families but prison is not a place to have fun.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Honestly, no.
  4. andrews_wifey
    Quote Originally Posted by lrrodiguez View Post
    Nope, they were put inside prison for a reason (to be isolated from the outside world) allowing internet access is not following through with the rules set in place. How are they suppose to learn they're lesson, I feel for they're families but prison is not a place to have fun.
    couldnt have said it better myself
  5. Senior Member
    I would say if things were blocked off of their internet. But there are always loop holes.
    so no.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    nope. in prison, internet would be a luxury, not a necessity, and prison is not meant for luxuries.
  7. Dorothy.....We're still in Kansas!
    Dorothy.....We're still in Kansas!
    Umm, no. What if it were a rapist, and he started stalking/e-mail the person he raped? Prison is to punish you, and to protect the ppl you did something to (if that applies). Internet is not a punishment, it is freedom. what can't you do on the net that you can do in real life? pretty much nothing.

8. Senior Member
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say I think they should but ONLY to email. There should be some kind of system were certain criminals may not get it, you have to do something to earn it, you can only have it so many days a week, or it cost so much per minute, etc, and it should definitely be monitored activity to limit who they can contact. But I think email access is important. They certainly shouldn't be allowed just random browsing time to check myspace or dating sites or whatever though.

9. Senior Member
    No. I think inmates are given luxories that they do not deserve. I do not think they should be allowed 99% of what our country allows them. People in prison generally are in there for fairly horrid things and why should they be rewarded for their bad deeds? I also think that they should have to do hard manual labor rather sit on their asses doing nothing.

I say all that and I have a brother who will be an inmate for the next 30 something years, so it is not just because I am a heartless person
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callie View Post
    Do you think that inmates should be able to have internet access? How about death row inmates? Do you think that inmates should be able to post personal ads online?

(this is coming from THS Investigates Love Behind Bars on E! I just wondered what you all thought of this)
    I think inmates should have internet access. For non-violent criminals and the like. Obviously, they've made a wrong choice if they've landed in jail. However, a lot of them (after serving some time and actually thinking) realize this. Maybe say if they've been in for a year they should get it for good behavior?

Death-row inmates though? Not at all. If they're truly guilty, they have much more important things to contemplate than the internet.

As for personal ads? NEVER. I could see looking up religous stuff, academic interests, etc.- but picking up people is NOT what jail is for. So never, in that case. Perhaps filtering certain sites/subjects like they do at school?
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast