Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Stamps - a new question

1. Banned
    Banned

Food Stamps - a new question

Advertisements
    Hypothetical situation:
    A person is on the Food Stamp program. Their approved benefit amount is more than they can spend on food in a given month - even with buying some expensive menu items. Their understanding is that if they repeatedly fail to use their full benefit they will lose the benefit all together (I wonder about this becuase it would seem to me they would just be adjusted ). Their solution is to use the full benefit amount by using what they aren't using on those in their household to purchase food that they then donate to a food bank.
    Question - is this abuse of the system or do the ends justify the means?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    If the system is that they'll really lose full benefit if they don't use ALL of the allotted money, then it's not abuse. If they're mistaken then yes it is abuse of the system.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i have been on food stamps once. i can honestly say getting to much money for food was never an issue. getting not enough money was enough was always the issue. if someone is getting more food stamps than they can possibly use even after buying expensive items and are being threatened with losing them because of this then i see no problem with them using it and donating the extras to the food shelter nearby.

i do not think it is abuse. food stamps, wic, welfare, and section 8 have lots of really strange rules and in some cases are too hard to comply with so i can see someone doing this to continue getting the help they need.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I would rather someone "abuse" the system by donating food to the poor than by selling it or something.
  5. Porcelain..are you wasting away in your skin?
    Porcelain..are you wasting away in your skin?
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    I would rather someone "abuse" the system by donating food to the poor than by selling it or something.
    x100% We were on WIC once, and they were giving my daughter entirely too much formula when she was itty bitty. It was stacking up and stacking up and stacking up..to the point that we were almost overrun with those little concentrated cans (gotta love Virginia WIC). Anyway, there was another Navy wife that lived on my street who was too proud to go get WIC, but I would give her a few of the cans that came off of our checks each month. I wasn't selling them, and there was a baby who was using them who was in need. I don't see where the problem is.
    Sad, sad, sad. Pathetic, actually.
  6. panzerswifey
    Quote Originally Posted by leanne View Post
    i have been on food stamps once. i can honestly say getting to much money for food was never an issue. getting not enough money was enough was always the issue. if someone is getting more food stamps than they can possibly use even after buying expensive items and are being threatened with losing them because of this then i see no problem with them using it and donating the extras to the food shelter nearby.

i do not think it is abuse. food stamps, wic, welfare, and section 8 have lots of really strange rules and in some cases are too hard to comply with so i can see someone doing this to continue getting the help they need.

The people who really need help may sell their food stamps & those who really need the help if they sell them they are using the money on bills or things for their kids.

Now its the ones that drive benz's & live in nice house owned by family members on section 8that gets me thinking.

I was on foodstamps long ago & sometimes I got more than enough & sometimes I didnt get enough. Depending on the worker I had.
    I was always embarrassed to go to get them because we had to go to a place to pick them up back then.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerswifey View Post
    The people who really need help may sell their food stamps & those who really need the help if they sell them they are using the money on bills or things for their kids.

Now its the ones that drive benz's & live in nice house owned by family members on section 8that gets me thinking.

I was on foodstamps long ago & sometimes I got more than enough & sometimes I didnt get enough. Depending on the worker I had.
    I was always embarrassed to go to get them because we had to go to a place to pick them up back then.
    i understand what you are saying. we were a family of 5, living on 700 dollars and getting 300 dollars for food stamps. it was never enough for us. our sister in law got nearly 800 a month for her and her 3 children ( one of which was an adult and refused to work) she gave her food stamps to the church she went to though but that is another story completely.

when we first got there it took forever to get help we lived in a homeless shelter for 6 weeks before they helped us. i spent many nights in the emergency room being pumped with steroids and benydryl for one allergic reaction after another. ( i am allergic to onions)

if we had had food stamps at that time it would have made a world of difference. we lived in an area that had lots of section 8 houses and i rarely saw anyone with an expensive anything but i am not ignorant i know there are ones that abuse the system. i also know that at times the system abuses the people that use it as well.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  8. Loving a man with soft hands and warm eyes
    Loving a man with soft hands and warm eyes
    I've worked with a lot of families who are on foodstamps and I have never had any clients who had the problem of too much food. If someone is getting too much then I would suspect an error in the grant. If it gets caught then they could be investigated for fraud.
    Missing my

9. panzerswifey
    Why investigate them for fraud if it is an error?
    But there are ppl living in California I have seen it in my old neighborhood brand new homes in Corona and they are on sec8 and getting foodstamps, you see them in the store spending foodstamps & you see them home all day long everyday.
    And My sisters used to see them in the club on saturdays.

It is a crying out shame when the system is abused, because its ppl that make make $1 too much that really need help & they cant get it.
    I remember a lady who went to Chicago back in the 80's was getting welfare there then getting it in California. They didnt cross check then like they do now.
    I was like 17 and she was my friends older sister.
    I really just didnt like her because she was using the money for drugs.
    Now that I am older If I even suspect fraud, I will make a phone call.

It is to many homeless& hungry children.
    I was a homeless mother on welfare w/ no child support. I dont know how but I would have motels rooms almost all the way thru the month.
    a friend bought me a car we lived in that the other half.
    I never sold my benefits because they were not for me! they were for my children.
    and I made sure every penny was spent to take care of them.
    I also worked on base. I was still married to my ex husband a marine.
    I was on welfare because he refused to take care of us & the unit backed him ..(long story).

But I was not on long. I used it for what is it supposed to be used for.
    And that is help when needed.
    My worker told me you were so mean to me now your getting off. I told her I didnt want to be comfortable.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    It is a crying out shame when the system is abused, because its ppl that make make $1 too much that really need help & they cant get it.
    That is one of the most frustrating and heartbreaking parts of my job - having to tell someone we can't help them because of a few dollars "too much" in their income. I have had people break down in tears at my desk and it just sucks because I WANT to help them but can't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast