Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S/O Spanking - When is it ok?

1. X
    X

S/O Spanking - When is it ok?

Advertisements
    Since the majority here seems to be in favor of spanking, I was wondering when is it ok to spank a child?

You can give an example or personal experience of when YOU think it's ok to spank.
  2. Senior Member
    i hardly ever got spanked. it was a last resort like when i was 7 i dislocated my brother's arm-i meant to hurt him just not that bad- and i got spanked. i felt it was pretty appropriate
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    for us it would be a last resort or to express the seriousness in what dd just did (i.e. breaking away in a parking lot or tried to run across the street or did something that could really hurt her such as putting her hand on the stove or something). we also would NOT just spank without explaining why we just did. there is no way we would do it willy nilly
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Spanking is ok if other punishment doesn't work, in my opinion...
    if the child is doing something that may endanger them or destroy property, or something that is very disrespectful is when I would spank
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    for us it would be a last resort or to express the seriousness in what dd just did (i.e. breaking away in a parking lot or tried to run across the street or did something that could really hurt her such as putting her hand on the stove or something). we also would NOT just spank without explaining why we just did. there is no way we would do it willy nilly
    I agree with this 100%... very good examples.... my daughter has gotten a swat on the butt in the past week for sitting on the kitten almost smothering it, for running out the door and into the street without an adult, and for kicking me in the stomach... all of which a spanking was warranted to get her attention and then I had a long discussion as to why she got it and what she was doing wrong and what a better choice would be in the future
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  6. Banned
    Banned
    When the kid does something that puts them in danger, i.e. keeps attempting to run into the street, etc.
  7. Senior Member
    i agree with the aboves posts
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

There have been a few occasions that Jacob took off from us and ran out into the street or across the parking lot. He got his butt spanked for that( HUGE NO NO).

That is really the main thing we spank for. Other times he gets spanked is a last resort( for us its when all other punishments stop working)
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I don't know... I used to think that spanking was a good form of punishment for repeatedly not listening, for doing things they already knew were wrong, etc... but I have honestly come to realize that I'm just not okay with it really because I have found that I personally have spanked mostly out of my own frustration.

I'm not the type to go sit down and chill out, then go get the child and spank them once I am completely calmed down. When I have spanked, it's usually been because I got to the end of my fuse and was tired of saying no or tired of using other forms of punishment... so basically I was just lazy and tired and at the end of my rope.

Jason is actually a bit different when it comes to spanking. He is really calm when he does spank, which is not very often.

However, we're both working on completely moving away from spanking because I'm just not comfortable with it anymore and we feel like we can use other forms of teaching and punishment that work better, are more effective and don't require any form of physical punishment.

I'll be honest though, I changed my tune only b/c I completely lost it a couple of times and it scared me that I could be losing control of myself during the heat of the moment. So, I would rather just not use spanking, period. That way there is no gray area between what I think is okay and going overboard. When I am highly upset, that line can get fuzzy and leave me feeling guilty, which is just not okay. So, we are trying to use other various forms that are working better so far, and leave me personally feeling much better.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    the last time I spanked sean was when he almost ran out onto the road......he was out of control and wasn't listening to me AT all......generally for him though a good time out until he's calm and then we talk works best......
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast