1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Kill shelters

Advertisements
    Should they be illegal?

Inspired by the neuter clinic thread...
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have no problem with kill shelters because honestly no kill shelters do more harm then good. (as in when they are full they are full and people that are trying to get rid of an animal have been known to do awful things to said animal after being turned away from a no kill shelter) I have a problem with the way those ads were written and killing to make room for a spay/neuter clinic.

No kill shelters are a wonderful thing but they are nto without their problems either. I agree with PETAs beliefs on why kill shelters are better over all for animal welfare then no kill.
  3. Senior Member
    your referring to 'pounds'? yes. if your referring to animals, I've done rescue work. The local 'pounds' are "KILL shelters" the euthanize in 3 days. The local Humane Society's and SPCA's are humane NON-kill shelters. They are treated better and handled better and than vetted out to adoption families. Unless there is an overabundance of animals. Which can occur depending on the county/territory size. Typically 1 county has 1 animal shelter. I know one instance that had 1 shelter for THREE counties so they would fall into the scoop of what I'm explaining. If there is an over abundance of animals in a shelter that is servicing three counties, sometimes they have NO choice but to euthanize if they are at capacity and ALL their foster homes are at capacity.

Consider fostering
    Consider making donations (towels, food, toys,)
    Consider volunteering

Thanks.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by USNIwife View Post
    your referring to 'pounds'? yes. if your referring to animals, I've done rescue work. The local 'pounds' are "KILL shelters" the euthanize in 3 days. The local Humane Society's and SPCA's are humane NON-kill shelters. They are treated better and handled better and than vetted out to adoption families. Unless there is an overabundance of animals. Which can occur depending on the county/territory size. Typically 1 county has 1 animal shelter. I know one instance that had 1 shelter for THREE counties so they would fall into the scoop of what I'm explaining. If there is an over abundance of animals in a shelter that is servicing three counties, sometimes they have NO choice but to euthanize if they are at capacity and ALL their foster homes are at capacity.

Consider fostering
    Consider making donations (towels, food, toys,)
    Consider volunteering

Thanks.
    Yep, sorry, I should clarify by that I meant animal controls/pounds vs. humane societies.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The whole idea saddens me, but I'm not too up to speed on the topic. This is my first dog and where I was from originally they only had humane societies, to the best of my knowledge. I was just curious what everyone's opinions were. When I found out my dog was from a kill shelter, I was surprised... I honestly didn't know there were any still around. Chalk that one up to just ignorance on the subject.
  6. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    I can't deal with the thought
    My brother in law found a kitten with both its legs possibly its hips broken last week and it was in so much pain. He took it to 3 THREE different places to try and get the kitty help and NO BODY would take the kitty. The vet said unless he was willing to fork over thousands they couldn't help him and there was no guarentee it would even survive and my BIL is 19 and in college he has no money, he took it to the "no kill" shelter and they told him they would not take the kitty at all. He called animal control as his last resort and THEY REFUSED TO COME GET THE KITTEN because he lives a mile out of city limits. He was so upset and did not know what to do... It broke my heart in two what he DID but he said he didn't know what else to do and no one would take the kitty.
    I just don't know.... I cant stand to see animal suffer. I wish I could take them ALL.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

if kill shelters were outlawed, we'd be overrun with unwanted pets. seriously, what would become of them? would they be "institutionalized" for life?

the ads inspiring this thread were written in VERY bad taste. in all honesty, kill shelters are the result of our irresponsibility when it comes to being responsible about pet ownership (spay/neuter, underestimating the cost of ownership, length of ownership, etc)
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by *~*Cori*~* View Post
    I can't deal with the thought
    My brother in law found a kitten with both its legs possibly its hips broken last week and it was in so much pain. He took it to 3 THREE different places to try and get the kitty help and NO BODY would take the kitty. The vet said unless he was willing to fork over thousands they couldn't help him and there was no guarentee it would even survive and my BIL is 19 and in college he has no money, he took it to the "no kill" shelter and they told him they would not take the kitty at all. He called animal control as his last resort and THEY REFUSED TO COME GET THE KITTEN because he lives a mile out of city limits. He was so upset and did not know what to do... It broke my heart in two what he DID but he said he didn't know what else to do and no one would take the kitty.
    I just don't know.... I cant stand to see animal suffer. I wish I could take them ALL.

the surgery to repair two broken legs & a hip is EXTREMELY expensive...several thousand dollars...& lengthy. if the kitten had been in that shape for awhile, it was no doubt shocky & stabilizing it to to the point of being able to go into surgery would have been a feat in & of itself. bluntly & honestly, for these organizations with limited budgets, it is not worth it to them to spend that much money on a single animal, especially one whose survival rate is low, when it could be feeding multiple animals, paying for advertisements, paying staff, paying for vaccines for multiple animals, etc etc etc.
  9. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm a humane society Vet Tech and Kill shelters are a necessary evil. Not all animals are adoptable. If all animals are kept, there wont be room for adoptable pets, and they will end up on the street , get hit by cars, succomb to the elements, and who knows what else. The concern should on spaying/neutering every animal we can get our hands on. That one litter that you "have homes for" already is going to take away from animals in shelters - and those puppies/kittens will then go on to have babies of their own.

I DO NOT agree with PETAS way of doing this though. They kill 90%+ of the animals that come to them. They are known to "rescue" animals from clinics and shelters - promising to find them good homes, and they euthanize the animal before leaving the clinic parking lot!

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
  10. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    the surgery to repair two broken legs & a hip is EXTREMELY expensive...several thousand dollars...& lengthy. if the kitten had been in that shape for awhile, it was no doubt shocky & stabilizing it to to the point of being able to go into surgery would have been a feat in & of itself. bluntly & honestly, for these organizations with limited budgets, it is not worth it to them to spend that much money on a single animal, especially one whose survival rate is low, when it could be feeding multiple animals, paying for advertisements, paying staff, paying for vaccines for multiple animals, etc etc etc.
    Yea I didn't expect anyone in this hickass town to help him to begin with but he couldn't stand that he couldn't do anything for the cat but watch it suffer. It wandered to their house and was on their deck begging for help. So, he shot the kitten and put it out its pain he said... I sqalled but didn't say anything to him cause I could tell how upset he was to have had to do it. If that had been Phoebe I would be in alot of debt and probably divorced cause I would have done everything to fix her but she is my baby. I do agree that the reason we even have this issue at all is due to people not being responsible for their animals and that angers me so much. The reason shelters are over flowing is because people arent responsible and spay or nueter or take care of the offspring they allow their pets to create.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast