Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Making the Team

1. Banned
    Banned

Making the Team

Advertisements
    Do you think every kid should make the team? Or do you think it's beneficial for a child to not make the team, and therefore learn to work harder for what they want and/or accept disappointment?

Ages:
    3-6
    6-9
    9-12
    13+
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    3-9 I think they should all make the team & build up their skills & understand of the game.

9+ should have to try-out!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ages:
    3-6: Everyone should make the team
    6-9: Everyone should make the team, but start having different level teams... ie A team of the better kids, B team of the less talented kids
    9-12: Not everyone should make the team... if you aren't good enough, you are cut. Or continue the different level teams
    13+: Definately cuts for those who aren't as good
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. K View Post
    Ages:
    3-6: Everyone should make the team
    6-9: Everyone should make the team, but start having different level teams... ie A team of the better kids, B team of the less talented kids
    9-12: Not everyone should make the team... if you aren't good enough, you are cut. Or continue the different level teams
    13+: Definately cuts for those who aren't as good
    You sure said it all better than I did!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i think everyone should make the team & everyone should get playing time, regardless of age. turning kids off to physical activity because they're "not good enough" is just one of numerous reasons why america is obese.
  6. aka yankeelady78
    aka yankeelady78
    I think 13+ should have to try out and are probably mature enough to handle getting cut. Younger than that, there should be leagues available to let anyone play.
    Amy
  7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    that is a hard call. currently my 2 younger kids ( 5 &7 ) do fun fair positive soccer. everyone wins and everyone gets to play. I think it is great because they can build skills and get ample playing time, no one gets 'benched' because they aren't as good kwim. because otherwise they would be sitting on the bench since other kids are better then they are.

I think that once in JR high you know the real rules of the world. not everyone makes the team so you just have to work that much harder to do it. ODD is in 5th grade and in choir she had to try out for some solo pieces and didn't make it, so she learned that she had to work harder the next time. something she says she will do.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    that is a hard call. currently my 2 younger kids ( 5 &7 ) do fun fair positive soccer. everyone wins and everyone gets to play. I think it is great because they can build skills and get ample playing time, no one gets 'benched' because they aren't as good kwim. because otherwise they would be sitting on the bench since other kids are better then they are.

I think that once in JR high you know the real rules of the world. not everyone makes the team so you just have to work that much harder to do it. ODD is in 5th grade and in choir she had to try out for some solo pieces and didn't make it, so she learned that she had to work harder the next time. something she says she will do.
    so what do you tell the kid who gets cut from every team? my friend in high school got cut from fall cheerleading, so she tried out for basketball in the winter...got cut from that. tried out for volleyball the following winter...got cut from that. finally made the softball team spring of her junior year because they didn't cut people & low and behold, was named most improved player her senior year.
  9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    so what do you tell the kid who gets cut from every team? my friend in high school got cut from fall cheerleading, so she tried out for basketball in the winter...got cut from that. tried out for volleyball the following winter...got cut from that. finally made the softball team spring of her junior year because they didn't cut people & low and behold, was named most improved player her senior year.
    i figure school and sports after elementary school are like real life. I don't get every job I apply for, i didn't get into every college I applied for. I would rather my kids try and fail and be better for it then to suck but because they can't cut sit on the bench for a whole season accomplishing nothing. And if my kids want something that bad then i guess they would work hard in the summer to improve enough to make the team the next time around. anything worth having is worth working for.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

10. Banned
    Banned
    i think everyone should make the team & everyone should get playing time, regardless of age. turning kids off to physical activity because they're "not good enough" is just one of numerous reasons why america is obese.
    I don't think that's the case at all. I think it's a vital part of learning to deal with disappointment and accepting that you won't get handed everything.

So she was better at softball than cheerleading, volleyball, and basketball. Those four sports are VASTLY different. Just because she is good at one doesn't mean she would have been good at the others.
    Last edited by goldilockz; 05-27-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: i can't count :duh
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast