Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Paid VS volunteer ministers

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Paid VS volunteer ministers

Advertisements
    Everyone becomes a religious leader for different reasons. (Religious leader/minister = anyone who leads a service/etc in any religion)
    They, also, have different job descriptions and expections - some work an equivelent of a part-time job, mainly preaching on the weekends/Wednesdays and just being involved in the religious community and the occasional funeral/wedding. Part-time ministers might have a regular job, as well.
    At the same time there are quite a few ministers who are paid as a fulltime employee of their church and work at the church fulltime, are on call for all community and social issues, make routine hospital visitations, etc.
    There are all sorts of ways to toss the issue around - but those are just 2 ways it can play out.

So - The debate is whether being a minister is *ever* a real job (aka - one you SHOULD be paid for working)
  2. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    My father was a paid full-time minister, i don't even know how you could be part time!

He was also in the Salvation Army though, she there were a million things to take care of, tons of people to help. He earned the few pennies he made and then some! I think it's perfectly fine to be a full-time paid minister, because I would think the majority aren't getting paid exorbitant amounts.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    I agree!
    My father's a full time minister, as well, and I don't see how he could have any other job that took up most of his time.

Then again - he's a perfectionist
  4. Banned
    Banned
    My grandfather was a pastor at a small church, and an english professor at a university concurrently. Being a preacher didn't pay the bills, since what's in the collection plate is what the church has and most of that went to overhead costs and mission work.

He said God provided him with a means to pay his bills and feed his family. If the church can afford to pay a pastor, then that's great. If it can't and they have a secondary job, then that's great too. I think it's whatever works for that particular church.