Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Games and religion

1. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot

Games and religion

Advertisements
    I had an interesting conversation in Bible Study last night and it boiled down to some games help promote "withcraft". For example WoW is the biggest game that promotes it.

What do you think?

What other games do you think are out there that "promote" it but most people don't think of because they view it as just a game?

Do you think that it's just a game and there is no correlation between the two?

2. allahu alam
    allahu alam
    honestly, a lot of strict Muslims would say WoW is haram (bad) bc it deals with fantasy, "witch craft", etc. BUT. i think ANY religion should be considered with a grain of salt and a LOT of common sense. if you're not putting WoW, Halo, Monopoly... before you're religion and you understand it's all fake.. you're fine.

a lot of Christians poo-poo on Harry Potter bc it's ~wizardry~ and all that nonsense... whatever. i can understand why they'd feel that way, but it's fiction and entertainment.

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Gurl View Post
    I had an interesting conversation in Bible Study last night and it boiled down to some games help promote "withcraft". For example WoW is the biggest game that promotes it.

What do you think?

What other games do you think are out there that "promote" it but most people don't think of because they view it as just a game?

Oh come on...... Candy Land is fantasy, and that darn Chutes and Ladders implies teleportation. Ban 'em all!!!!!

Whadda crock.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No, I think it is just a game! I don't correlate it with anything other than entertainment. Now I will state that I have never played WoW or similar games. However I do play SIMS.

Does that mean I promote promiscuity because I make my people have multiple sex partners on there?! Or do I promote cheating because I have made the spouses cheat on each other?! What about spousal abuse because I have made the spouses & lovers have slapped each other?! I think not! I don't promote or condone any of the above but I still make my SIMS do them on the game! To me, it is just a game, period!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Oh come on...... Candy Land is fantasy, and that darn Chutes and Ladders implies teleportation. Ban 'em all!!!!!

Whadda crock.
    lol srsly I laughed out loud.

I think it IS just a game it is an RPG (right?) and lets people live out online fantasies of battles and heroics (or villainy and doom) but still just a game. That is of course unless people really THINK there are faeries and trolls and all of that stuff here in the everyday world. (not that I am against it mind you I would love it if that stuff was really think how interesting life would be)
  6. Senior Member
    Sure. I guess it could be seen that way. I surely don't see it that way. According to religion, no one should have an imagination, period. I can only imagine what children were like in Biblical times...
  7. Senior Member
    so we should ban games like WoW but more real life games like grand theft auto are ok? games are games!
  8. Senior Member
    I remember them thinking D and D players were committing secret ancient rituals in their mothers basements . I still play and my husband is a DM . Believe me , the only ritual that is happening is here is that they eat me out of house and home !!

Unstable people are always around ...they will "see" it as more then a game . I think the majority understands that it is a game.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Gurl View Post

What do you think?

I personally think it's just a game. I think witchcraft in all honesty is little far-fetched.

I personally don't beleive in it, and I think the path taken to prevent it has had very horrible consequences.

Witchery and Heresy claims cost people their lives and their reputations. I'm not just talking about the Salem Witch trials but also about the "Satanic" Day Care scares in the 1980's.

If you ask me it really makes no sense, and I think games full of fantasy and magic are just part of people's imaginative state. You can't tell a child not to have an imagination and be creative simply because it resembles "witchery"
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    What, pray tell, IS witchery? How do you all define witchery in this day and age?

Witchcraft is just a scapegoat for some people: "OMG, I can't take responsibility for anything--blame the magick!" It's like music and video games: "Oh we won't take responsibility for our kids cutting up so all this rap and hiphop is bad!" "Oh, violent gory VGs! Your kids are screwed up BECAUSE of that!!" It's not the music, the VGs or ANY religion that makes kids screwed up; it's the parents. (and if the PARENTS were a little more open...)

The real reason why witchcraft is being blamed here with WoW is because SOMEHOW it's so irresistible people will play for WEEKS straight (seriously--they drink Red Bull and pee into the empty cans. They end up getting fired from their jobs and so on and so forth). That's not really the religion's problem, though: people are DUMBASSES and can't say Hey, I gotta get off for a bit.

It's a responsibility thing, not a :scapegoat deal.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast