Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Games and religion

  1. libbydc
    Guest
    libbydc's Avatar
    Guest
    #31
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchGirl View Post
    I've never really put my thoughts all together on this, but let me see if I can come up with something...

    To me, it is not that they "promote" witchcraft or whatnot. It is the desensitization aspect, similar to games like Grand Theft Auto, or violent movies. Since spirituality is a very real, tangible thing to me, I don't like the thought of lumping it in to "it's all for fun and make-believe." I take the spiritual world very seriously, I have had very real experiences with it in my own life, and when I was younger saw effects from rituals that were performed. I would have thought it was crazy too, if it hadn't happened to me first-hand.

    I don't have kids, but whenever the decision comes up as to what to allow them to do... well, that will be between my husband and myself. But even just for my own purposes, I stay away from the witchcraft/wizardry area because it is something I feel very sensitive to, and I prefer to keep it at a distance. That isn't necessarily right for everyone - but it is for me.

    If I had an SO who was in to WoW and the like, it wouldn't bother me except for the "addiction" aspects. I just wouldn't join.

    Hope y'all don't think I'm nutty for saying it... but it is something I avoid, and it does partially involve my religious beliefs. I don't feel like a crazy person for it though - I'm certainly not on a crusade or anything.
    I think it's cool that you took the time to put it together and say it, and I like the way you put it too.
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    rosebud*'s Avatar
    rosebud* is offline
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    [communist china]
    Posts
    32,703
    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    My eyes practically roll out of my head when I hear other Christians use that argument about Harry Potty..

    If you're going to forbid Harry Potty in your house to protect your kids from the glamorous lifestyle of witchcraft, you'd better get rid of some DVDs in your house too..

    • Cinderella
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • Aladdin
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Snow White
    • The Sword in the Stone
    • Shrek
    • Pirates of the Caribbean (Voodoo and Santeria)
    • The Lion King (where a monkey served the role of Shaman)

    Also not to mention, Disney's Fantasia where Mickey Mouse put a wizard's hat and wielded a magic wand with which he cast spells... Oh, the BLASPHEMY!!! Someone save our kids from the evils of Walt Disney.

    Puuuleeeeze...
    yup I knew someone who wouldn't read these romance novels because it dealt with witchcraft and ESP and all that jazz, but loved those disney movies.


    I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

  3. aka yankeelady78
    MissAmyB's Avatar
    MissAmyB is offline
    aka yankeelady78
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,649
    #33
    Quote Originally Posted by libbydc View Post
    Only remember the Southern Baptist Convention did boycott Disney a while back, but not for those reasons.
    How about the beloved "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe"?? My church took a bus to that, but condemns Harry Potter. I didn't understand it.
    Because The Chronicles of Narnia was written by C.S. Lewis, who was a big time Christian. And a VERY good point, I had totally forgotten about that.
    Amy
  4. libbydc
    Guest
    libbydc's Avatar
    Guest
    #34
    Quote Originally Posted by MissAmyB View Post
    Because The Chronicles of Narnia was written by C.S. Lewis, who was a big time Christian. And a VERY good point, I had totally forgotten about that.
    Thanks. And C.S.Lewis was a really neat guy, and yes, a Christian, and I would love to know what he would think about HP? What would he say about good winning out over evil, and the message of doing what is right not what is easy, and of laying don your life for your brother? Some people (my mom most recently) would argue that HP does not convey the message of God or Christ, but I disagree. The only valid argument is that they rely on magic for help, but it is FANTASY. I can guide my child in relying on himself, God's providence, and finding comfort in prayer, and still allow him to enjoy these movies. And this is from a Christian perspective. Other points can be made from other positions too.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    DakotaCowgirl's Avatar
    DakotaCowgirl is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Home is where our feet land
    Posts
    12,453
    #35
    It's a game. Face it, a very addicting game that I would have more hardships there. If you can't tell the difference between fact and fiction, you shouldn't play the game. Also, if you can't control yourself; you shouldn't play it also.

    I think it is important for parents to know what is in the game before purchasing it for their children. On the other hand, I think it is wrong for a parents to purchase a mature game for anyone in the household not mature enough to play it. Sorry, off subject.

    JMO.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Mom to Rebekah
    Miss.Maggie's Avatar
    Miss.Maggie is offline
    Mom to Rebekah
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Middle of North America
    Posts
    16,420
    #36
    I think that it is just a game, I had this talk with my pastors wife, and she said that it is like, watching a movie that has murder, you know that it is not real and it is for entertainment, so there should be no issue. As long as a person is able to seperate fact from fiction there is no problem.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  7. Senior Member
    leftover's Avatar
    leftover is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,701
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by libbydc View Post
    Thanks. And C.S.Lewis was a really neat guy, and yes, a Christian, and I would love to know what he would think about HP? What would he say about good winning out over evil, and the message of doing what is right not what is easy, and of laying don your life for your brother? Some people (my mom most recently) would argue that HP does not convey the message of God or Christ, but I disagree. The only valid argument is that they rely on magic for help, but it is FANTASY. I can guide my child in relying on himself, God's providence, and finding comfort in prayer, and still allow him to enjoy these movies. And this is from a Christian perspective. Other points can be made from other positions too.
    Just my opinion, HP and Lord of the Rings are allowed in my house and enjoyed by the entire family.

    Peter Jackson did an amazing job portraying the battle between good and evil. We've always looked at it from the idea that Frodo was just a small single little person who's been thrown into the struggle that requires him to take a stand against evil and doing what is right even if it kills him, KWIM?

    No matter how much evil there is in this world, there is always some good worth fighting for, and something worth standing up for. A person could even go as far as saying that Gandalf is even tempted in a battle with Saruman in the same way Christ is tempted by Satan in the wilderness; to forsake good and join evil..
  8. allahu alam
    sweetheartjess's Avatar
    sweetheartjess is offline
    allahu alam
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,086
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    Just my opinion, HP and Lord of the Rings are allowed in my house and enjoyed by the entire family.

    Peter Jackson did an amazing job portraying the battle between good and evil. We've always looked at it from the idea that Frodo was just a small single little person who's been thrown into the struggle that requires him to take a stand against evil and doing what is right even if it kills him, KWIM?

    No matter how much evil there is in this world, there is always some good worth fighting for, and something worth standing up for. A person could even go as far as saying that Gandalf is even tempted in a battle with Saruman in the same way Christ is tempted by Satan in the wilderness; to forsake good and join evil..
    i agree!

  9. Senior Member
    harrisonsdream's Avatar
    harrisonsdream is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    52,155
    Blog Entries
    1
    #39
    i think a game is just a game.
  10. Senior Member
    harrisonsdream's Avatar
    harrisonsdream is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    52,155
    Blog Entries
    1
    #40
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetheartjess View Post
    honestly, a lot of strict Muslims would say WoW is haram (bad) bc it deals with fantasy, "witch craft", etc. BUT. i think ANY religion should be considered with a grain of salt and a LOT of common sense. if you're not putting WoW, Halo, Monopoly... before you're religion and you understand it's all fake.. you're fine.

    a lot of Christians poo-poo on Harry Potter bc it's ~wizardry~ and all that nonsense... whatever. i can understand why they'd feel that way, but it's fiction and entertainment.
    yeah that
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •