Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Antidepressants - Take em or leave em?

1. Senior Member
    plane rides are involved, we're doing the long distance thing.

Antidepressants - Take em or leave em?

Advertisements
    I've been talking with a lot of folks about depression lately and was wondering your opinion. I feel most of us have experienced various symptoms of depression with the struggles of military life over the years.

What do you find a more productive treatment for general depression, therapy or meds? I know that all cases are different and require individual treatment plans, but with all the talk of negative side-effects of meds, I find it an interesting debate.

What do you girls think, do you have an opinion on it?
  2. Rhiannan
    Rhiannan
    I haven't been in the military scene as long as many of you have, but my personal opinion is that it really depends on your severity and length of your depression. I actually work in a pharmacy, and seeing many of these meds used first hand, i personally try to do any other kind of treatments first before taking ANY kind of medicine. In many cases i think people start with therapy, and the therapists may prescribe the anti-depressants. I could be wrong... just my thought?

Thanks Cat, absolutely perfect!!
    He's home
  3. Senior Member
    i *personally* think that depression is diagnosed and treated with anti-depressents too often and easily. I know that depression is real, and i know that drugs CAN help. but i would exhaust all other means before anti-depressents. There is a time and place for drugs, i just dont think it should be one of the first things that are done.
  4. Senior Member
    Well, I'm a psychology major and spent... well, the last 10+ years of my life in talk therapy as well as being medicated on various sorts of anti-depressants & anti-psychotics.

As a patient, I feel that medication is important in the stabalization of serious disorders like Bi-polar, and it has taken me a long time to get to that point in my life, but at the same time it's also incredibly important to build a healthy talk relationship with a psychologist. I had 4 different psychologists, and stayed with my last psycholgoist for 9 years. You cannot just medicate and think that solves everything, so it's important that people understand.

As a psychology student - Medication should not be the first option unless the patient is presenting psychotic syptoms, suicidal tendencies, etc... Society today feels that everything can be solved by taking a pill , but you must first treat the REAL cause of depression before treating the symptoms (in strictly just depressed circumstances).

My views on regular old depression... *shrug* Everyone does get depressed, some respond to it differently than others. There are alot other options before turning to medication. Everyone is different though like you said, and only you and your psychiatrist or doctor will know what the right option for you is. I highly recommend if you plan to be medicated for depression not to go to your regular old doctor, go to a psychiatrist to be diagnoised, he will know what the right medicine for you to take, you'd be surprised the ammount of people who are taking too high a dose, of the wrong sort of medicine and not only does it wreck your liver, but it can lead you to become even more depressed.... I know far too many people who have gone to their GP and perscribed anti-depressants, sometimes very strong anti-depressants that were uncalled for.

It's a tough call really.
  5. andrews_wifey
    I think supportive friends and family is really all you need. but thats just me.
  6. Senior Member
    I think that therapy and meds together work best. That is what I did for my PTSD and depression. It doesn't have to be continuous, I haven't needed meds or therapy for years now.
    Needs work.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have Bi-polar medication is my friend along with therapy and behavior modification tools.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green~Mammy View Post
    I have Bi-polar medication is my friend along with therapy and behavior modification tools.
    If i'm not being too nosey, you truly don't have to answer. Have you ever gone without them, and then felt like you really REALLY needed them again?... I ask because I stopped taking mine when I got pregnant with Jamison. I went cold turkey and actually ended up having seizures when I was withdrawling, which put me in the hospital ANYWAY, after I had my son I felt like I had become too.. addicted I guess to my medication so I never resumed them. But, lately, I just feel like I really could use the stabalization... just wondering if you've gone through it or if I'm being ridiculous.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I was seriously depressed (as in so depressed that I was committed for 3 weeks and in intensive daily outpatient treatment for 6 monre weeks and regular therapy for years) as a child and teen. No medication/combo ever seemed to help. Likewise, my therapists were wholly ineffective, probably because I never found one that I connected with. I can honestly say that time, personal growth, and a willingness to face my inner deamons on my own were my keys to coming out of it.

My Mom, on the otherhand, has dealt with chronic depression for the better part of a decade. Medication is key for her to be able to function.

So, IMHO, it all depends on the person.
  10. Senior Member
    I think many times that anti-depressants are beneficial to people but I also think that sometimes people have other things wrong with them and are just given meds as sort of a "catch-all" cure. I know after I had Lydia I was having a lot of mood swings and sadness, so the doctor gave me Zoloft which didn't really help. Another doctor changed my birth control and THAT helped, so my hormones were just out of whack after the pregnancy.

I do know meds help a lot of people but I also think there's a ton of people out there who are on them and don't need them.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast