Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another car seat question

1. Senior Member

Another car seat question

Advertisements
    This one is about older kids.

At some point do you think the age of the child should determine how they sit in the car or should it always be what the law states?

My son is going to be 9 in 6 weeks. From what I can find here in WY he wont be required to sit in a booster anymore. I'm not sure but I think the law in most states require children to be 8 and 80 lbs and 4' 9" before they can stop using a booster seat. He only weighs 52 pounds and hes only 4' 1" tall. I will still make him use his booster because I think its safer but when do I say ok thats enough? He still has to gain another 28 pounds just meet some states minimum weight requirements and grow another 8 inches just to meet the hight requirement. At the rate hes growing hes going to be taking his drivers test in a booster seat.
  2. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I'd go with what the law states.. DD's seat converts to a belt positioning booster and will accomodate a child up to 100lbs. She'll most likely be sitting in a booster until she's 10 or 4'9... and will ride in the backseat until she's 12.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

3. Senior Member
    If it's the law, then it's the law KWIM?

I also just wanted to add, make sure it says 8 and 80 lbs not 8 OR 80 lbs. Thats a common mistake here in Cali.
  4. Senior Member
    I would also go with the measurements not the age.. I think it's safer for them to be in the booster seat.
    Trish & Hubby Home for R&R!! Dec. 2009
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I know what you're saying by when is it enough. Dh's G'ma is about 80lb and only 4'8. If you go by height and weight, she should still be using a booster seat. I think if you go by the state requirement of age you should be ok, but TMO.

6. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    I go by age. Thats just me though
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I am against the state laws in that I think they are too low, atleast here in TX. I think they should be madatory that kids be atleast 8 years old, etc. Though I still would ignore those to a point! I say ignore them because I go well beyond what the states feel are adequate!

DS will be 9 at the end of July. He is 4ft 11. He weighs 85lbs. I still feel he is too small to ride in a deatbelt alone even with our vehicle having the little clip attached to help the seat belt sit properly on his neck. If I can find him another high back booster that would meet his specifics, I'd buy it! Unfortunately Britax does not have one! I would prefer to keep him in a high back but I might be on the look-out for a backless booster.

DD is 6 & still in a 5pt harness! She will be boostered until she passes the heigh/weight guidelines on her Britax like DS, regardless of age!
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

I would generally go wirh the laws, but I think at some point age should be considered. I was 5 feet tall and 90-95lbs before I had my first son. I was barely over the requirements and I was 18.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Some states have to lax of laws in our home our children will be in a seat until they are 8 years and 80 lbs. Arizona has lax laws they only have to ride in a car seat or booster until they are 5 years old. (no weight OR height limit just the age) Children at 5 are NOT tall enough to sit and be safe in a regular seat belt.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    I would generally go wirh the laws, but I think at some point age should be considered. I was 5 feet tall and 90-95lbs before I had my first son. I was barely over the requirements and I was 18.
    And why were you not in your booster seat? For shame!

J/K
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast