Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Your Ice Cream Man a Predator?

1. It's YOUR choice
    It's YOUR choice

Is Your Ice Cream Man a Predator?

Advertisements
    Is Your Ice Cream Man a Predator?
    'Can You Think of a Better Kid Magnet, If You Were a Sex Offender?' Asked One Florida Prosecutor
    By JEFF MARTIN
    May 12, 2008

A growing number of communities across the USA are moving to prevent sexual predators from becoming ice cream truck drivers.

One mother was shocked to find out a sex offender drives the ice cream truck.Cases in which ice cream truck drivers have been convicted of crimes against children in New York and Florida, as well as concerns about a registered sex offender selling ice cream in California have prompted some state and local governments to consider banning criminals from selling ice cream or at least requiring background checks before licenses are issued.

•In California, where a convicted sex offender was found to be driving an ice cream truck in the city of Perris last summer, the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors will consider an ordinance Tuesday aimed at stopping them from driving ice cream trucks, said David Zook, a spokesman for Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt.

•In Rapid City, S.D., an ordinance requiring criminal background checks for ice cream vendors is under review by the city attorney's office, Alderwoman Deb Hadcock said.

Efforts to keep predators out of ice cream trucks gained momentum in 2004, when Eduardo Grau of Troy, N.Y., 56, was arrested after police said he offered rides in his ice cream truck to children and abused a 9-year-old girl.

The case spurred the 2005 New York state law. Grau eventually pleaded guilty to first-degree sexual abuse in 2006, according to District Attorney Patricia DeAngelis. Since then, cities including San Antonio and Tucson have passed similar measures. New York appears to have the only statewide restriction, said Sarah Hammond of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Florida Assistant State Attorney Harmon Massey prosecuted a 2005 case involving the driver of an ice cream truck who was eventually convicted of battery against a teenager.

Massey said Florida should consider an ice cream vendor law. "Can you think of a better kid magnet, if you were a sex offender?"

Law enforcement officials across the country are taking a closer look at ice cream truck vendors, after a number of high profile arrests of sex offenders working the ice cream circuit.
    (ABC News Photo Illustration)Amanda Burnham of Perris, Calif., said that for a sex offender, "there are a bazillion things you could do for a living that don't involve children. It just seems like a very, very odd choice."

Such laws can go too far, said Jennifer Ring, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of the Dakotas.

"If you're throwing everyone in the same bucket, you're really restricting these people who have paid their debt to society to go on and be productive citizens," Ring said.

Martin reports for the Argus Leader in Sioux Falls, S.D.
    Thoughts??? Should sex offenders also be restricted on where they can work in addition to where they can live and visit?
    Freedom and Liberty require Service and Sacrifice
  2. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    eww.. i'll never listen to the ice cream man music the same ever again.. .
  3. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    oh my! me either!
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  4. Senior Member
    Yes, I think they should have restricted area to live in, restriced jobs, and restriced anything to do with children. I understand they have rights but so do my children. JMHO.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes they should be restricted. Would you want your child teacher or babysitter to be a child rapist?
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    As far as ice cream vendors, I'm more concerned about them selling drugs out of those trucks than picking up kids.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think all sex offenders should be rounded up and put on a big ol ranch in Nebraska or somewhere out of the way and left to kill each other off. Same with drug dealers.

Sorry, that's how I feel about it. No one should have to deal with that.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Everett, WA Like New Jersey, only no cool mobsters or sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    As far as ice cream vendors, I'm more concerned about them selling drugs out of those trucks than picking up kids.
    "Crack! Get your crack here! Did I say crack? I meant popsicles. Yeah, that's it. Popsicles."
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBit84 View Post
    I think all sex offenders should be rounded up and put on a big ol ranch in Nebraska or somewhere out of the way and left to kill each other off.

Sorry, that's how I feel about it. No one should have to deal with that.
    If they're true sexual predators, yes, by all means deal with them publicly and painfully.

The problem is, there is such a wide range of what constitutes a "sex offender" from state to state, that many of the people on the list are labeled unfairly. In some states, a 19 year old who is boning a 17 year old can be charged and convicted as a sex offender. "Public urination" within a certain distance of a school or daycare center can get someone that label.

The idea behind the sex offender laws is good, but the implementation is a little shaky.
  10. It's YOUR choice
    It's YOUR choice
    They've been in prison, paid their debt, when does the punishment stop???? Maybe they had sex at 18 with a 17 year old maybe they really had a problem. But still people change.

And where do you draw the line? What about a vendor at a sports complex where children frequent? A janitor at the mall? a cook at McDonalds? children are EVERYWHERE!

At some point parents must be responsible participate in their childrens lives. Walk out to the street with you kid! Its not that hard!
    Freedom and Liberty require Service and Sacrifice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast