Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pulling the "Race Card"

1. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries

Pulling the "Race Card"

Advertisements
    This may have been debated before, but even so, humor me.

If you have ever been in a position of authority over someone who was of another race, did you ever get accused of treating them differently because they were?

Last night I reprimanded one of my employees for disrespecting me when I asked her to do a task. She looked at me and said (with attitude), "I thought that was your job." The comment annoyed me, but I just in an even tone, said, "I am asking you to do it." And, to clarify, it was not something that was one specific persons job, just something easy. She threatened to quit. The unpleasantness continued all night, with her not really respecting my position, so at the end of the night, I told her that we would be working together again, and she should have a better attitude the next time. We had some words, nothing outlandish on my part, but then she said, "I should have known it was going to be like this, working up this way." I told her I didn't understand, though I knew full well what she was implying, and then she repeated it, and I said something along the lines of "I hope you aren't implying that this has something to do with race." She backpeddled, but I really resent the implication that because someone doesn't like to bend to authority, that automatically means that it has something to do with race.

Experience? Thoughts?

2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

There are a LOT of instances people pull the race card and it honestly pisses me off.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I HATE the race card! I don't care who it is...do your flipping job! That is what you are getting paid for.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Senior Member
    this is such a coincidence cause dh came home sooo upset yesterday about this.. all new airmen in his shop have to stay an hour later than everyone and work on their booklets for level 5 advancement. this kid who hasn't been there 6 months doesn't have to do that anymore and he's failed 3 tests! his reason is his dad lives an hour away and he just moved in with him so it's "not fair" that he gets home an hour later than everyone else.. he moved out of the dorms on base to do that it was his choice! so now he's collecting bah thats going straight to his pocket and he doesn't have to stay an extra hour with all the other airmen.. and he refuses to get certified to use any of the equipment at work because he's scared of it so they give him tasks like cleaning up and he goes off on how its not fair and he's being punished and he's this close to going to MEO..
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charm586 View Post
    this is such a coincidence cause dh came home sooo upset yesterday about this.. all new airmen in his shop have to stay an hour later than everyone and work on their booklets for level 5 advancement. this kid who hasn't been there 6 months doesn't have to do that anymore and he's failed 3 tests! his reason is his dad lives an hour away and he just moved in with him so it's "not fair" that he gets home an hour later than everyone else.. he moved out of the dorms on base to do that it was his choice! so now he's collecting bah thats going straight to his pocket and he doesn't have to stay an extra hour with all the other airmen.. and he refuses to get certified to use any of the equipment at work because he's scared of it so they give him tasks like cleaning up and he goes off on how its not fair and he's being punished and he's this close to going to MEO..
    Not to be a jerk, but what does this have to do with race?
    Banned
    There have been times I've been obviously discriminated against based on race but I don't call people on it, I just dip. Folks will get theirs.

Also, when she threatened to quit I would have told her to go ahead and walk.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    Not to be a jerk, but what does this have to do with race?
    because they let him get away with all that becaue he threatens to go to MEO when they are asking him the same requirements of everyone else
  8. Senior Member
    because they let him get away with all that becaue he threatens to go to MEO when they are asking him the same requirements of everyone else

From my understanding, MEO is about equal opportunity having to do with many things, including, but not limited to race.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob3s1x1.htm

"Promotes an environment where individuals are treated with dignity and worth regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex. Provides advice, consultation, education, mediation, and referral services to enhance mission effectiveness. Coordinates with staff agencies to support MEO programs and policies."
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    From my understanding, MEO is about equal opportunity having to do with many things, including, but not limited to race.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob3s1x1.htm

"Promotes an environment where individuals are treated with dignity and worth regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex. Provides advice, consultation, education, mediation, and referral services to enhance mission effectiveness. Coordinates with staff agencies to support MEO programs and policies. "
    while he was threatening to go to MEO and saying he was being punished he also said the shop was racist.. i thought i put that in there too my bad
  10. Senior Member
    ok after i re-read this i realized that i didn't type this out clearly at all.. this guy says he's too scared to operate the equipment used by the shop because its heavy duty construction equipment so the higher ups asked him to do other stuff like weed eating around the sites, organizing and cleaning the equipment shed so he could be doing something besides just watching them work and he had that fit threatening to go to MEO and saying he was being punished and calling the shop racist. if he can't operate the equipment then there's nothing else for him to do except those kinds of tasks unless he just stands around the sites.. this was a week ago and then yesterday they started letting him leave early.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast