Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 Things

1. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    How about just global warm everyone to extinction?

We're already on the way to fixing it then!
  2. Beltway Bandit
    Beltway Bandit
    Blog Entries
    In no particular order:

1. Materialism & Big Business (I think they go together)
    2. Impact of humans on the enivronment
    3. Imposing of religion into secular society
    Last edited by Alexandra; 05-16-2008 at 03:49 PM.
  3. Joy
    Banned
    Banned
    Self Serving/Narcissitic Behavior - Solution would be that people need to be taught that it's not about what you can get out of a situation. Or what's in it for me mentality. Learning the value of being gracious and giving of yourself. The reward is what a better person you are for being a good person. Building a feeling of contributing and sharing of the community.

Lack of Values/Respect - Teach people from infanthood and childhood respect for others. What happened to the golden rule? Do unto others as you would have done to you.

Value of a Dollar - Don't spoil kids. Reward them yes, but teach them that things are earned not an entitlement for being born. Finacial classes being required in high school would be a GREAT start for young adults. Our economy and peoples understand of it sucks.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Sense of Entitlement - People think having rights means automatic entitlement for things to be handed to them.
    No accountability- I think younger people have no accountability for thier actions and parents are to blame in large part because they don't discipline thier kids. I think this has a direct tie in to the entitlement issue above.
    Lack of character - I think too much we are like "who cares" when it comes to lifestyles and choices and it gets more and more lax in society. This leads to so many other things - crime, sexual abuse, immorality, etc.

I won't pretend to have the solutions for these, but I think there needs to be direct consequences for actions, not just a pat on the hand and told to do better the next time. Of course there are so many other things, but I think these three things are at the root of a lot of it.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    In no particular order:

1. Materialism & Big Business (I think they go together)
    2. Impact of humans on the enivronment
    3. Imposing of religion into secular society
    Everything you said. I'd add get rid of big business' hand in government as well.

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    1. conspicuous consumption/destruction by the "developed" countries
    2. lack of respect and support for the poor and struggling in the world
    3. sense of entitlement

Promote a culture of sustainability and caring...
  7. Senior Member
    Acceptance. I'm sorry but for us to be such a "diverse" country, we don't have much acceptance for anyone that happens to be "different". This includes racism which personally I'm SICK of hearing about. Who the hell cares people?? Stop judging based on skin color or heritage. Those things don't make the person. As a country we also don't have a very high acceptance on religion. Hell, our own President doesn't so what does that show you? If someone is muslim or obviously pentacostal/amish/etc it shows in what they wear sometimes. Who cares? Stop staring and don't treat them as if they are aliens. Language is another thing I can't stand. So what if people are speaking effing Swahili in public? That doesn't mean that they can't understand the ignorant remarks you make to the other idiot standing next to you about how they should "learn to speak english". I think I could go on for days about how unaccepting of a country we are. If a person isn't hurting anyone with their skin color, religion, parenting choices, etc then how is it anyone's place to judge them?

Values, respect, morals. They go hand in hand. No one teaches their children anything these days. We are screwing over our kids by allowing them to be ignorant and do whatever they please.

Global Warming. Speaks for itself really. People care more about their own entertainment and the easy (lazy) way to do things rather than the world we live in.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brandewijn View Post
    Acceptance. I'm sorry but for us to be such a "diverse" country, we don't have much acceptance for anyone that happens to be "different". This includes racism which personally I'm SICK of hearing about. Who the hell cares people?? Stop judging based on skin color or heritage. Those things don't make the person. As a country we also don't have a very high acceptance on religion. Hell, our own President doesn't so what does that show you? If someone is muslim or obviously pentacostal/amish/etc it shows in what they wear sometimes. Who cares? Stop staring and don't treat them as if they are aliens. Language is another thing I can't stand. So what if people are speaking effing Swahili in public? That doesn't mean that they can't understand the ignorant remarks you make to the other idiot standing next to you about how they should "learn to speak english". I think I could go on for days about how unaccepting of a country we are. If a person isn't hurting anyone with their skin color, religion, parenting choices, etc then how is it anyone's place to judge them?

Values, respect, morals. They go hand in hand. No one teaches their children anything these days. We are screwing over our kids by allowing them to be ignorant and do whatever they please.

Global Warming. Speaks for itself really. People care more about their own entertainment and the easy (lazy) way to do things rather than the world we live in.

Um, fuck yeah. To every last word.
  9. libbydc
    Problem - Societal standards of a sense of entitlement and desire for instant gratification.
    Solution - A depression?

Problem - Political correctness
    Solution - There is a difference between tact and truth. Learn it.

Problem - My hubby is deployed
    Solution - World peace
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Self Serving/Narcissitic Behavior - Solution would be that people need to be taught that it's not about what you can get out of a situation. Or what's in it for me mentality. Learning the value of being gracious and giving of yourself. The reward is what a better person you are for being a good person. Building a feeling of contributing and sharing of the community.

Lack of Values/Respect - Teach people from infanthood and childhood respect for others. What happened to the golden rule? Do unto others as you would have done to you.

Value of a Dollar - Don't spoil kids. Reward them yes, but teach them that things are earned not an entitlement for being born. Finacial classes being required in high school would be a GREAT start for young adults. Our economy and peoples understand of it sucks.
    ITA with the bolded!!!
    I agree with the 3rd as well but I'm not sure if it's my 3rd I have to think on my 3rd. I was going to say rude attitudes and entitlement but both would be elimated if people did the bolded so now I have to think.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast