Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a sin?

1. Senior Member

Question Is this a sin?

Advertisements
    Let me start by saying that perverted = sexual innuendo, outwardly sexual, NOT the creep-you-out kind.

I have a friend who is trying to be a better Christian. I am Christian also. This manifests itself in our interactions by her trying to stop cussing or saying sexually suggestive things. I told her that these things were not a reflection of Christianity, but maybe of class/societal formality. I'll admit, I am ignorant of many things spiritually, but I feel like this is definitely debatable. Being perverted or saying curse words are not sins, IMO.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in debates or not, so if it needs to be moved, please do.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Nope. I think words are words, and God's not going to look down on me for saying damn. And, if I'm getting the message right, I joke around with my friends about sex all the time, like I'll walk up to someone like I'm going to kiss her or something, and she just plays back. I don't think they make me believe in God less, or make my religion less valid than someone else's.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    In all honesty, I am not sure just yet! But they both are things I am trying to do better at not doing because I feel bad when I act that way!

Here is something you might like to read.

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=3055

http://www.cojoweb.com/christian-values.html
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  4. Banned
    Banned
    those are not reflections of Chrisitanity. cuss words can make you look less intelligent to some but i don't understand why cuss words are so taboo. I mean, maybe they don't edify God but do they really make someone go "geez, how immoral!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    In all honesty, I am not sure just yet! But they both are things I am trying to do better at not doing because I feel bad when I act that way!

Here is something you might like to read.

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=3055

http://www.cojoweb.com/christian-values.html

Hmm.
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Okay, I am Atheist, so you can feel free to disregard my opinion on this, but I will tell you how I feel about it based on my own Christian upbringing.

I think Debra hit the nail on the head, at least in my opinion. It's more about how doing it makes you feel than the words themselves. I personally don't see anything wrong with cussing because they are just words, it's the intention behind what you are saying that matters to me. Saying a cuss word when you are venting your frustrations about a situation or joking around about something is different than actually using cuss words to belittle someone. Same thing with talking about sex. You can talk about it in a way that demeans people and you can talk about it in a way that just qualifies as discussion and not vulgarity.

That's how I feel about it at least. I think you have to figure it out for yourself! Self reflection like this is good!
  7. Senior Member
    i dont necessarily think it's a "sin", but the Bible does address it. Ephesians 4:29- "let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth..."
    The Word is a tool, God gave it to us for direction and to know Him better. If it's something that convicts you, then the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you something and you should try your hardest to fix it. But, with that being said, NO ONE is perfect. we ALL fail, and we all "sin".
  8. Cat
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    To me if one makes the commitment to God to serve him and to do his will then like those verses in Ephesians say that to let no corrupt communication come out of your mouths along with anything else that is malicious. I know that these things are hard to do but if you have truly made that commitment in your heart to serve the Lord with all you heart then you will give up those things. I know that its easier said than done and it takes alot of work to do it too. Also what is something that can be a guide to whether you say or do something think about this. Would I do or say this in front of Jesus Christ? If you can say an outright no because of conscious sake then its wrong. But if you can honestly say that you wouldnt have a problem with it then its not a sin. Me personally I wouldnt say alot of things in front of Christ. But I am also working on my faith again too and yes I do slip but I try not to slip to far.

I hope some of that makes sense too.

9. Senior Member
    Yes, it is sinful. If they were just "words" then we would be able to say the Lord's name in vain even if we didn't MEAN it and it was just a habit. Saying sexual things is a sin because those words come from sinful (lustful) thoughts no matter how innocent or non-pervy they are meant.

That is the thing about the Bible and Christianity. Everything is open to interpretation. People usually read something and take it in a way that makes it easiest for them to live their lives. Technically speaking, tattoos are a sin as are piercings. Just like most people "rate" sins although last time I checked, God didn't give a rating system. Example: Murdering is a worse sin than cheating on a spouse. Most people would take it that way but they are the same thing in God's eyes according to His word. Just as having sexual thoughts about someone else is the same thing as acting on it. So yes, everytime you think of Brad Pitt in the nude and think of the things you would do to him...he might as well have been there. So yes, whether unintentional cursing and saying sexual/pervy things even in a joking way, are sinful. God's rules and expectations are black and white. But we all want to create a grey area for ourselves where things might not be perfect but we still think they are "okay". I'm pretty sure the guy upstairs wouldn't agree however.

Look at premiscious sex. How many of us do it? How normal has it become? Just because it is the norm now doesn't make it okay. Just like giving a BJ isn't "better" in God's eyes than giving up your physical virginity. lol

But most of us still do all of these things. We are only human and most of us tend to take the easy way out - myself definetaly included and we try to create loopholes to make us feel better about our sinful ways. And I am not a super religious person but I have spent years studying up on different religions and that is my take on the subject. So there is an opinion from a very unbiased person.
  10. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Okay, I am Atheist, so you can feel free to disregard my opinion on this, but I will tell you how I feel about it based on my own Christian upbringing.

I think Debra hit the nail on the head, at least in my opinion. It's more about how doing it makes you feel than the words themselves. I personally don't see anything wrong with cussing because they are just words, it's the intention behind what you are saying that matters to me. Saying a cuss word when you are venting your frustrations about a situation or joking around about something is different than actually using cuss words to belittle someone. Same thing with talking about sex. You can talk about it in a way that demeans people and you can talk about it in a way that just qualifies as discussion and not vulgarity.
    That's how I feel about it at least. I think you have to figure it out for yourself! Self reflection like this is good!
    on the nose! i am a christian, and i feel the same way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast