Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a paintball or BB gun to fend off animals

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Using a paintball or BB gun to fend off animals

Advertisements
    Abuse or acceptable?

Example: if a racoon is in your carport trying to get into your trash would you feel it OK to fire your paintball gun in order to scare it off?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    At it as in hitting the animal or aiming it away form anyone/thing and letting the noise do the job? I would suggest getting an air-horn instead if it is just the noise factor. If it is actually hitting the animals as with a BB or pellet gun or a paint gun yes abuse AND against the law.
  3. Senior Member
    A raccoon/skunk/possum/coyote/porcupine in my yard would end up meeting 3 inch buckshot.. They carry diseases, rabies and are classified as vermin by the Department of Natural Resources and are open game. You don't need a license to shoot them.

Call me cruel...

The neighbor dog gets the paint gun.. I'd much rather use the paintball gun instead of the pellet gun, since it also sends a message to the owner that they aren't watching their dog. BBs can kill and cause infection if left untreated. I wouldn't want to kill the neighbor dog, just keep it off our property.

The cows would stampede if we used the boat horn..
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I wouldn't use a paintball gun just because those are excruciating... I would yell and chase him off, or use an airsoft gun.

If it was recurring after that, I would use a real gun and shoot the fucker. My pets don't need rabies, and I don't want his ass coming back getting into the trash over and over.
    Banned
    I don't think it's abuse to use a paintball gun. It can scare the animal off and like leftover said some of them carry diseases. Family first animals second.

I wanted to add that I'd use the paintball gun for domestic animals. Wild, possible rabid animals would get the BB gun.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    neither...Its just a racoon in my garbage...LOL I know they carry disease, but its not worth me killing it, its an animal...

We just make noise. Espically because our backyard are the woods.
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  7. Senior Member
    paintball gun yes air soft bb no even though ive been shot with a paintball gun and its broken the skin...mostly its for the noise factor but if they dont get the point a paintball in the butt will keep them away...im from the country lol so maybe i have some twisted vision of whats ok

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    In states which have a coyote hunting season it is against the law to just shoot one willy nilly. You need a license.

Edit* Correction ALL over America their are strict rules for the shooting of coyote.
    The annual hunt for coyotes throughout the United States is distinctive from other types of hunting. Farmers, hunters and state wildlife agents have organized hunting seasons for recreational purposes, in addition to the purpose of protecting livestock. You need to observe hunting regulations and schedules for coyotes before you head into the wild.
    Observe restrictions placed on early and late coyote hunting every day of the season. Most states allow coyote hunters to begin tracking and shooting coyote immediately before sunrise and after sunset. You may be able to use a low-voltage flashlight for hunting at dusk during special hunting periods.
  9. Senior Member
    coyote hunting...what is the purpose of that lol do people eat them? those are the scrawniest looking thigns ive ever seen!

10. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Same here!

Well - I wrote this post out of pure curiosity and then 10 minutes after posting it the kids are dropped off at the corner and the next thing I hear is kids running and screaming their heads off - one of the neighbor's dogs was loose and running wild and charging them full speed down the street. So I grab my paintball gun and run out after them - shot the freaking dog in the ass.
    Charge my kids, snarl and bark and one of these days it won't be my paintball gun!

For me, when I do things like this, it's when we're in danger - I don't care who's precious dog it is - if it's in my yard and threatening my kids it's getting splattered I KNOW the courts will fully understand if it comes to that.

I don't mind strays walking around and such - I can scare them off without using either of these methods but in situations just like this I'm thankful that I have something that'll put an end to a dog's nasty intentions.

This is the reason for our huge fenced in back yard - too bad money's an issue and it's not quite finished. I can't wait to be able to take the kids outside without fear of the wild and dangerous animals that roam free around here.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast